Umm where do these go???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballaratcastle

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible. Just imported from the USA as an unfinished project.
[url=https://ibb.co/gXU4Qy][img]https://preview.ibb.co/f0tW5y/Mustang.jpg[/img][/url]
Hi team 

Hopefully you can assist identifying these under my dash please. I have just put the dash back in and have connected up all the plugs I had labelled but have a  few unidentified ones that were tucked behind the glove box and as they aren't labelled I wouldn't have unplugged them but would be handy to know if I'm missing something important. I also stupidly didn't take a photo of where the small boxy thing on the gauge panel screws to .it's connected to the green circuit board on the back but is just flopping around. Sorry having issues loading photos. They are in the reply below. I also have this one lamp holder with no home.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Picture #1: These are all mounted to a metal bracket above the glove box. See picture for more detail. Depending on model and installed options your car may not have all the things identified in the picture.

#2: Under dash courtesy light. There is one underneath each side of the dash.

#3: ? Each dash switch has a bulb to illuminate the switch letters (i.e. Lighter, Wiper, Lights). Do you have all of these light sockets accounted for?

#4:  Seat belt warning light plug

#5: Constant Voltage Regulator - Used to reduce the voltage to the stock fuel, temp, and oil gauges. The Constant Voltage Regulator is attached to the main gauge pod circuit board. The circuit board also serves many other functions. Needed if you are using these stock gauges.

Thank you. The photos with the numbered identifiers is really valuable. I have accounted for all the switch lights which are black bulb holders but the small white one in my photo must be for the courtesy light. Not sure where the bulb and socket has gone for the passenger side. I will go searching.

I had not unplugged in the seat belt warning light plug when I removed the dash but it appears I don't have any wires or plug where the retractable seat belts bolt in.

With the relay on the gauge panel can you confirm it presses onto a lug on the back of the panel itself. In my photo I couldn't see one.

Cheers Steve

Thank you. The photos with the numbered identifiers is really valuable. I have accounted for all the switch lights which are black bulb holders but the small white one in my photo must be for the courtesy light. Not sure where the bulb and socket has gone for the passenger side. I will go searching.

I had not  unplugged in the seat belt warning light plug when I removed the dash but it appears I don't have any wires or plug where the retractable seat belts bolt in.

With the relay on the gauge panel can you confirm it presses onto a lug on the back of the panel itself. In my photo I couldn't see one.

Cheers Steve
I am sure the bulb/socket in pic #3 is not the courtesy light. I will investigate further or hopefully, someone else might recognize it. The one in pic #2 is definitely a courtesy light fixture. The plastic sides on it are broken off which is a common problem, but it should still work.

With the seatbelts, it is common to disable them. It's a ground activated system so just unplugging the wire from the retractor will disable the system. Removing the wire harness is overkill. If you don't have the wires or the pressure sensor under the passenger seat then the seatbelt warning light and warning buzzer are also not needed.

The thing on the gauge panel PC (printed circuit board) is not actually a relay, but a (constant) voltage regulator. It attaches to the PC (printed circuit board). I can see that yours and mine are in different places on the PC. I know the PCs are different for car's with center console Alt, Oil and Temp gauges than cars without (only indicator lights). So I suspect your car originally did not come with the center gauges  Either way without it, your fuel gauge and other gauges if you have them will not work properly. These regulators do go bad over time and repro's are available.

I had not  unplugged in the seat belt warning light plug when I removed the dash but it appears I don't have any wires or plug where the retractable seat belts bolt in.

Cheers Steve
I am sure the bulb/socket in pic #3 is not the courtesy light. I will investigate further or hopefully, someone else might recognize it. The one in pic #2 is definitely a courtesy light fixture. The plastic sides on it are broken off which is a common problem, but it should still work.

With the seatbelts, it is common to disable them. It's a ground activated system so just unplugging the wire from the retractor will disable the system. Removing the wire harness is overkill. If you don't have the wires or the pressure sensor under the passenger seat then the seatbelt warning light and warning buzzer are also not needed.

The thing on the gauge panel PC (printed circuit board) is not actually a relay, but a (constant) voltage regulator. It attaches to the PC (printed circuit board). I can see that yours and mine are in different places on the PC. I know the PCs are different for car's with center console Alt, Oil and Temp gauges than cars without (only indicator lights). So I suspect your car originally did not come with the center gauges  Either way without it, your fuel gauge and other gauges if you have them will not work properly. These regulators do go bad over time and repro's are available.
Thanks again. Yes my cluster only has the warning lights. I have bought an after market gauge console and 3 digital gauges but they will be independently wired.  I have no idea that the electrics will work until I connect it all up to start the engine. The car supposedly was a runner before being pulled apart 5 years ago. I never moved the circuit board off the cluster so I will check closely for a lug to stick it on. I should have taken a photo

You need to grab and fold over the constant voltage regulator and attach it to the back of your instrument cluster with a little screw (there's a little stud on the housing that must be lined up with the hole). You'll find out what I mean when you do so. Also, they make these in an electronic version, much better since there are not mechanical/contacts!

You need to grab and fold over the constant voltage regulator and attach it to the back of your instrument cluster with a little screw  (there's a little stud on the housing that must be lined up with the hole). You'll find out what I mean when you do so. Also, they make these in an electronic version, much better since there are not mechanical/contacts!
Thank you I'm back at the factory tomorrow so will have a look. 

Cheers

Back