Under Door Weatherstrip Installation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharpstang72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
351C 2v, 4bbl,FMX, 9" Rear 3.50 gears
Hey guys, how hard is it to install door weatherstrip that goes from the side of the door, wrapped underneath, then to the other (hinges) side. I forgot to install mine and I noticed yesterday that hot air was leaking into the car. At first, I thought it was leaking through speaker grill but I had that area fully insulated. Any help would be greatly appreciate it.

+ 1 on the 3M adhesive

Door w -strip glues on the door frame and into the track area

Item #D1ZZ-6520530/1

71-73 DOOR WEATHERSTRIP

Pair of reproduction door weatherstrip. Made in the USA. Price: $52.95

I just noticed the weatherstrip is 2 inches longer. Should I cut, if so where? I got it from c j ponys. Should I glue it & let it dry over night w/the door left open? Are the rails suppose to hold the weatherstrip w/o glue, or should I use glue on the whole weatherstrip?

Thanks,

I sealed it with 3m , used tape to hold the weatherstrip in position overnight ( use tape that's not hard to remove ).if needed use some little 5/8 tubes , place it on the weatherstrip when glued, put the 5/8 tube on the weatherstrip and tape them together to the doorshell. ( in some spots you can't use only the tape you need the tube to hold pressure on the weatherstrip )

If you make a big mess ( i always make a mess , who doesn't ) with the sealer you can remove that after installation with a little bit of gassoline or degreaser.

And don't stretch te weatherstrip too far , first prefit the weatherstrip before gluing it with the sealer.

Do not cut it !!!!

Hope it helps ,

JB

Yes , i always use the blue tape.

I didn't mention it , i didn't knew if you have that kind of tape in the U.S. ;)

JB

Guys, thanks very much for all the inputs.!!! I think I have enough info.now to tackle this bad boy. I have the blue tape, where can I buy the 3M Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive #08008? Andvance Auto parts, Auto zone, NAPA, Pep Boys?

Thanks,

Back