Underbody Sound Deadener, Primer, Colors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QcodeAl

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q Code Mustang 22,oo original miles. Needs restored.
Hello All,

My 73 Q code just got hung on the rottissere and I want to make sure I get the underneath sheet metal looking like it did from the factory. This is my first Ford and first Mustang so please forgive my ignorance.

The car is 100% disassembled and the bottom will be media blasted to remove all the old sound deadener and coatings.

My questions are

1)Is the factory process documented anywhere ?

2)Is there any body color ? overspray ? Is it just a primer? etc ?

3) Are correct products available to reapply ? Who are the go to vendors ? I am ok using alternative or modern coatings that are higher quality as long as it looks close to original finish.

4) Is something similar in appearance to the factory Sound Deadener available ?

5) I'd like the results to be considered as factory correct as possible and to an OE gold standard. Is that info available anywhere ?

Thanks !

QcodeAl,

I would recommend procuring these manuals.

1971 1972 Ford Mustang Weld Sealant Assembly Manual Book Instructions Drawings

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-Ford-Mustang-Weld-Sealant-Assembly-Manual-Book-Instructions-Drawings/230841196778?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20141212152715%26meid%3D19c94c435533445a9aa46ecaf73b1a39%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D230841196869

1971 1972 Ford Mustang Body Assembly Manual Book Instructions Illustrations OEM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/230841196869?lpid=82&chn=ps

2ykcm10.jpg

They will provide all the information that the production line used during the manufacturing process.

mustang7173 :D

Also check Mustang Club of America site. Go to judging rules, then download 71-73. I'd suggest that you take about twenty pictures. Later you'll wish you had.

I agree with the advice above if you really want the factory coatings.

As a reference point, my car is an 11/70 build that is an original Grabber Blue car. I was surprised to find a medium green color under the coatings on my original floor pans near the transmission tunnel. when I did my research I found that Ford used a "slop grey" coating on the underside of the cars as a means of corrosion prevention in 71. The slop grey, from what I researched, was actually a mix of leftover colors from the paint line that were sprayed on the bottom of the unibody.

Yep, that sounds odd I know, but it aligned with my color discoveries from under my undercoating. When I restored I opted to go all black on the underside.

The factory underbody paint color is called Slop gray. It is a combination of all of the colors going down the production line poured into one vat and sprayed on the underside before body color goes on the top. The color of slop gray ranges from gray to green depending on the body colors painted more that day or week. I used a combination of PPG DP40LF and DP90LF to get the right shade for my car which was a little more green than gray. Here is a link to my build thread page with some shots of the underside.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-72-medium-lime-metallic-resurrection?page=11

Search for Slop Gray on the forum and you will see some other examples and info to draw from. If you are planning a concourse resto I would be glad to help with any information I have already gathered just PM me.

Back