underhood wire harness

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samndad1971

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang coupe
im looking to replace my melted underhood wire harness. i have done a bit of surfing on the internet and have found the "painless wire harness" but having a tough time swallowing the $800 price tag. i did find one offered through "keep it clean wire harness kit" for $220. i called and they said it is a wire harness that includes proper connectors that have to be loaded with wires. has anyone used this company before?

i dont mind loading the connectors to save the money

From time to time, wiring harnesses are sold on ebay, I would recommend getting that since it is just the engine compartment you need (correct?).

I used a Kwik Wire harness for $250. It went in easy, but to do it right, you really need to plan well and remove the dash and everything. I re-wired my 73, was very fraustrated, but learned a great deal about how everything was wired and connected. When I strip everything out and get the car blasted and painted, I plan on rewiring it again, in a more professional clean looking manner. Also, save all your connectors, to my knowledge, there are no aftermarket providers for those plasic connects or the 90 degree angle connects (temp, oil, and solenoid).

If you just want the hood section, ebay or craigslist for an original. If you are going to rewire your car, shop around, you can get just as good generic harnesses for less than painless.

yep underhood only. i have the one i pulled out with all the connectors. i did find one through motorcity mustangs ebay site,but it didnt have the tach wiring. i was thinking of getting it and overlaying the tach wiring.

i have seen the 90 deg. ends still available and my ford dealership has a catalog of replacment terminals for some of the applications.

I AM PRETTY MUCH IN THE SAME SITUATION. AND HAVE BEEN HUNTING FOR ONE FOR THE PAST 6 MONTHS. I DIDNT CARE FOR WHAT I FOUND AT PAINLESS, THEY WERE GENERAL KITS THAT YOU HAD TO FINISH. THERE ARE LOTS OF GUAGE HARNESESS ON EBAY BUT THE LIGHTS AND ALTERNATOR/STARTER PORTION IS A KILLER. THERE IS A GUY ON EBAY FROM ELKHART IND. WHO SAYS HE HAS SOME BUT ALSO STATES TO REMEMBER THEY ARE 40 YRS OLD.

AT THIS POINT UNLESS I FIND ONE I'M GOINT TO GO TO A ELECTRICAL SUPPLY AND TRY TO GET THE PROPER COLOR CODED WIRE AND SIT AND REWIRE ONE AT A TIME. MAN THATS GOING TO TAKE ALOT OF BEER. GOOODLUCK

Someone hacked my harness off about under the master cylinder.

No idea what happened to the rest of under hood section.

I saved the dash portion if it will help anyone.

Someone hacked my harness off about under the master cylinder.

No idea what happened to the rest of under hood section.

I saved the dash portion if it will help anyone.
How much do you want for it? I am trying to piece together a harness and will probably spend the time recreating a new one based on the old one.

Last edited by a moderator:
im looking to replace my melted underhood wire harness. i have done a bit of surfing on the internet and have found the "painless wire harness" but having a tough time swallowing the $800 price tag. i did find one offered through "keep it clean wire harness kit" for $220. i called and they said it is a wire harness that includes proper connectors that have to be loaded with wires. has anyone used this company before?

What year and options?

I have several harnesses

Don

What year and options?

I have several harnesses

Don
1971 MUSTANG COUPE 351c, c6 trans, no a/c, with factory tach

No separate 71 tach / gauge harness at this time

Usually sell them with tack, and gauges.

There is a new under hood / main headlight harness available now

It is for 71 with tach, gauges and sport lamps 399.00.

I have boxes of non tach wiring if you want one of those to try and fix yours

Don

Ohio Mustang Supply

440-949-2556

VISIT US ON THE WEB AT

www.ohiomustang.com

i went ahead and purchased the new harness kit from "keep it clean", and waiting for it to arrive. i plan on doing the installation Easter weekend with my son. i ended up going with the new one just because the used stuff is 40+. i dont want to go through this again. i will post how the kit looks and ease of installation for those with the same problem

i went ahead and purchased the new harness kit from "keep it clean", and waiting for it to arrive. i plan on doing the installation Easter weekend with my son. i ended up going with the new one just because the used stuff is 40+. i dont want to go through this again. i will post how the kit looks and ease of installation for those with the same problem
Cool. Please snap a couple of pics along the way and let us know how it goes.

Doc

Let me know how it go"s Rob Mike

ok, the kit arrived and its VERY generic. wire colors are not the same but they are labled. connectors are junk. switches are not close to the factory ones, so we ended up pulling old ones apart and reloading new wires onto connectors and sockets. we replaced 95% of the harness then re-wrapped the whole harness again with the black tape it looks real clean. tough part was the conection of the 8 guage fuse panal power wire to the 14 guage fusable link wire(previous owner cut it out hence the melt down of the original harness) we reused the original harness mounting pins as much as possible and used the zip tie push pins in hidden areas. i would not recommend this kit for a old install unless you want to mush your brain. the kit would be great for a hot rod or street legal buggy(vw manx) that has no existing wiring.

Back