unidentifiable/traceable wires

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code convert., 351C 2V, FMX, 9in., Ram air, Pwr Steering, Pwr Disc brakes, air-conditioning, 15" sport wheels, Ivy Glo w/white deluxe interior.
Hello all.  Not new to forums having been on a several, the last being for Classic Ford Trucks, so, needing to get right into things, even with this as my first post, here goes.  It's been 40 years almost to the day I sold my 66.  Sadly, no forums back then or I'd probably still have it.  Anyhow, we ran across a '72 Convertible here in Virginia and it happens to be from California.  That's what makes it a helluva find. 

The master cylinder crapped out on us and polluted the booster so not being agile enough to climb under the dash, I did mention it's been 40 years, I removed the dash bezels and I'm sorry I did.  Well?, as we're finding out, it needed to be done so in the midst of reassembly and we're trying to identify these wires in the the pics provided.  Wire 1 (second pic) is just the individual plug and where it goes.  Wire 2 (1st pic below) has the double black wire & connector (and what I'm worried would be from the fuse block) then the yellow plug with the purplish wire attached. There's one also in the radio opening, it's two wires combined and one single and what I thought was ignition power and possibly the light?

Thanks, in advance, for the help.  This is definitely not the last question that probably been answered already but I'm old and making the most use in multitasking of my time  :biggrin: .  When we have a chance, we'll provide more details on the car but for now, just want to get her back together and enjoy driving before the summer's over and we start the more detailed resto.  

wire 2.jpg

wire 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The yellow plug with purple wire is an accessory power plug.  If you don't have many accessories (like convenience group (extra lights, seat back releases)), there will be empty sockets in that plug.  The black wires I believe attach to a tab on the cigarette lighter.  Looks like you have a full console, so the last plug is to the clock and lights in the console.   I'm sure midlife will come through with any corrections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info! It did have a console, once upon a time but it was cannibalized with so many of the other options prior to being auctioned, from what we've learned.  

The yellow plug with purple wire is an accessory power plug.  If you don't have many accessories (like convenience group (extra lights, seat back releases)), there will be empty sockets in that plug.  The black wires I believe attach to a tab on the cigarette lighter.  Looks like you have a full console, so the last plug is to the clock and lights in the console.   I'm sure midlife will come through with any corrections.
My unpaid assistant has it correct.

Back