Unlocking the mysteries of the Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The NACA hood was not standard on Mach 1's. It was a no charge option, therefore most have them. It was not fuctional without the ram air option. The non-NACA hood was standard.

I believe staggered shocks were not available on 351 2V and smaller engines.

Standard interior was also available in Mach 1. They did not necessarily have the Mach 1 interior.
my 1972 grande has staggered shocks and its a 2v 351 ,so the mach1 was different with this option?
Was your Grande an export to the land of OZ or a state side car?

It is my understanding that the sport suspension was an option on all Mustangs no mater the engine.

I think the exports may have gotten the heavy duty as a standard ,maybe?

Don ! You got me !! For sure !!! I was rethinking every thing I have learned about stangs since 1967 !! Your name wouldn't be "Uncle B.S. would it? lol
No my Grande was only just imported to Australia a year ago

from what i understand,with out a factory build sheet,you can never really know what you have,starting in 70/71 ford had a huge options list,plus you add on what the dealers could install,you have a list that is nearly impossible to to guess.my factory build sheet was under the carpet on the passenger side.completely destroyed by water damage.with out that sheet,along with the customer order sheet it is almost imposable to find original specs for car

An origional factory options list can be had with a deluxe Marti report at martiauto.com.

The build sheet will only tell you what the Marti report does. Dealer installed options

would probably only show on the origional dealer window sticker or sales contract.

The Mach1 option shows up as an "05" in the VIN as stated earlier.

An origional factory options list can be had with a deluxe Marti report at martiauto.com.

The build sheet will only tell you what the Marti report does. Dealer installed options

would probably only show on the origional dealer window sticker or sales contract.

If you get the emminger invoice you can see how the dealer ordered the car..My emminger invoice shows my car came with Goodyear raised white letter tires F 70 14's..It also shows 13 gals of gas..& has the plant security section stamp with a time stamp & date received.

If you get the emminger invoice you can see how the dealer ordered the car..My emminger invoice shows my car came with Goodyear raised white letter tires F 70 14's..It also shows 13 gals of gas..& has the plant security section stamp with a time stamp & date received.
I saw the emminger invoice on the Marti website and was curious to what info was on them.

Again I state it is the decals.

Prime example on ebay now.

ebay # 270732998741

Pay close attention boys this HAS got to be one of one

Just think, how many F code BOSS 351's with automatic and A/C were released to the public!!!

Seller forgot to mention this is actually a BOSS 351 COBRA , it says COBRA on the tires!!! and BOSS 351 on the trunk

Hey not mine but this is a good joke add, it is sad it's probably not a joke though.

Only plus is with doctors / hospitals and all the crap this week has brought, I needed a good laugh.

Don

Hmmmm, "What makes a Mach 1 a Mach 1" That is the $150,000 Barrett Jackson question......Today? Chinese repops LOL! Don't tell that to the Millionaires who buy these cars like money's no object. :D

The definitive answer is that body type 63R and 05 in the VIN make the car a Mach 1. Those two items go together.

Standard features on a Mach 1 that were options on the other cars:

* 302 2V engine.

* NASA hood (except for the 302s Mach 1s that came with the flat hood - not many).

* Color keyed sports mirrors with LH remote control.

* Competition suspension which included extra heavy duty front and rear springs, extra heavy duty front and rear shocks and a rear stabilizer bar. Note, this is not referring to staggered shocks - that was not an option but came on 351C 4V or larger engine equipped cars (mostly...there are a few larger engine cars that didn't get staggered shocks).

* Lower body side black or argent paint with bright trim moulding (71-72).

* Unique grill with sport lamps (71-72).

* Color keyed front bumper, hood and fender mouldings.

* Trim rings/ dog dish hub caps.

* E70 x 14 white sidewall tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also

Honeycomb tail panel trim

Flip open gas cap - 71 only

Dual exhaust with tips thru the valance - 4 V cars and 71 - 2 only

Lower body two tone could be deleted

I think the lower body brite trim moldings were an additional option

Dog Dishes w/trim rings were also not the only Mach 1 wheel treatments, either. The Yellow Mach 1 that influenced me at such a young age was:

• '71 H-Code - 351C/2V, non-A/C
  • FMX
  • 3.25:1
  • Dual-exhaust with cut-outs
  • Non-functional NACA Hood with hood locks, but no black-out treatment
  • Deluxe interior (tan) w/center gauge pod, no center console
  • Fold-down rear seat
  • No hockey stripes
  • No spoilers
  • Sport hubcaps w/trim rings

You would've liked that car, Don - it had no hockey stripes OR hood paint... just the trunk stripe and Mach 1 decals. ;)

and I was just going to say the "05" on the VIN# made it mach,lol

Dog Dishes w/trim rings were also not the only Mach 1 wheel treatments, either. The Yellow Mach 1 that influenced me at such a young age was:

• FMX
  • Fold-down rear seat
  • No hockey stripes
  • No spoilers

You would've liked that car, Don - it had no hockey stripes OR hood paint... just the trunk stripe and Mach 1 decals. ;)
A thread from the past!

My 71 is setup almost the same (yellow with no stripes, no spoilers, no hood paint) except mine had: 351-4v, C6, A/C, and no hood locks.

OMS

As for the bright chrome trim on the lower body: I read elsewhere, cars that had the hockey stripe option did not get the bright trim and cars that did not have stripes got the bright trim. Of course dealers could have added either one later.

• FMX
  • Fold-down rear seat
  • No hockey stripes
  • No spoilers

Yeah, that sounds old school cool! Correct, the dog dish & trim rings weren't the only hubcap option but it was the base hubcap setup that came on a Mach 1 hubcap.

Don at OMS mentioned a couple of items I forgot to include in the list. Thanks, D!

l" m glad this old thread poped up,I've been wondering the mysteries of my car too.My car has standard interior,holes in both door panels for remote mirrors,but sport like mirrors not sport mirrors,rear seat back standard interior,bottom different patern,mach 1 buckets ,I think were dyed,ginger color showing through drivers seat a little.If 351 2V's had ram air why don't I have hood lock brackets under hood?Hood was replaced by previous owner.Did not list nasa hood on marti?Was it not listed because it was standard on my car?My car was built bya chvyguy as a cool winter project,I beleive he did the best he could,car was not complete sitting in a barn for 10 yrs.My car is missing the door data sticker(repaint or door swap)dash vin & buck tag correspond.Never pulled fender,original color can be found beyond color change,matches marti.wish I found you guys way before this car,but looked up vin-it's an 05.So many different options ,so hard to pin down.:huh:

And you are exactly right as the question was asked. It was not what options vs standard stuff was on a Mach 1. It was what makes it a Mach 1 and that the 05 on the vin. Period

And you are exactly right as the question was asked. It was not what options vs standard stuff was on a Mach 1. It was what makes it a Mach 1 and that the 05 on the vin. Period
The intent of the thread was to discuss the standard equipment on Mach 1s because at the time I was reading conflicting information on the web. Plus I only had one or two of them at that time to look at. I concede the thread title was poorly chosen...so I just fixed it. Lol

Btw, I totally agree that the 05 is the legal and sole determinant of whether it is or isn't a Mach 1.

Back