Unlocking the mysteries of the Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry I have to disagree with everyone here.

It is not the VIN, body codes or even the body style.

What makes a Mach 1 a true Mach 1 is the decals on the side.

Sorry no offence to anyone but I had say it.

Don
I hope you have several sets of those Mach 1 stickers in stock because you just told everyone Ford's little secret and no that the secret is out...

Don
Dunno Don. I have seen Verts sporting logos and just can't bring myself, even with my clone, to think that would be a Mach 1... Now if you HAD a Mach 1 and cut off the top??? :p

Don
I hope you have several sets of those Mach 1 stickers in stock because you just told everyone Ford's little secret and no that the secret is out...
These posts should have been on April 1st. What makes a Boss is also the decal but then again any 351C is a Boss if you put on the right valve covers.

Who has a Mach1 with duals (4v car) and has the factory invoice or Marti report? Does it mention duals? The factory invoice for a 351 2 bbbl does NOT say anything about the exhaust but I'm 99% sure it would if a 2 bbl car came with duals as surely it would be listed as an extra cost item.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who has a Mach1 with duals (4v car) and has the factory invoice or Marti report? Does it mention duals? The factory invoice for a 351 2 bbbl does NOT say anything about the exhaust but I'm 99% sure it would if a 2 bbl car came with duals as surely it would be listed as an extra cost item.
If the car left the factory with Dual Exhaust it would have DE stamped on the back tag attached to the radiator support.

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/decoding.htm

Vamach1 - I'm not arguing with you, Man... please don't get me wrong.

I was just suspect of the exhaust cut-out valance on my car - I wouldn't have thought the factory would've put it on the car with a single turn-down exhaust. And based on all the 'redneck engineering' the previous owners have done to the poor car, I'm having a hard time thinking that it was added on later (you really need to see the way they 'engineered' the gas tank support to know where I'm coming from).

Just more factory weirdness, I suppose. :D

Don
No offense taken but going to have to call BS on your answer

Don
Don might have a point. If you got the base model 71 Mach 1 with 302, standard hood, standard interior etc, all it actually had over a regular sportsroof was a couple mach 1 stickers and a pop open gas cap.

Don
Don might have a point. If you got the base model 71 Mach 1 with 302, standard hood, standard interior etc, all it actually had over a regular sportsroof was a couple mach 1 stickers and a pop open gas cap.
I think the base model 71 Mach 1 w/ 302 would also have the sports lights & grill in addition to the sticker. Good point though in Don's defense.

You know...unless you are doing the numbers matching thing....as long as its a fastback with a V8, might as well be a Mach 1.

On a side note, I have actually had people ask me do I "have a Mach 1, 2, or 3?"

LMAO.

I was just kidding around.

I see coupes and convertibles on ebay advertized as Mach 1's [ some by dealers ] because the have the decals.

Same with ram air, you pop out the plastic block offs, add ram air decals and it's good to go.

The Acura guys have the same conversation about their "Type R" stickers...apply the sticker and poof instant Type R Integra, SS Camaro or Chevelle, or Mach 3 Gillette razor.

I was just kidding around.

I see coupes and convertibles on ebay advertized as Mach 1's [ some by dealers ] because the have the decals.

Same with ram air, you pop out the plastic block offs, add ram air decals and it's good to go.
::tease:: trouble maker:p

but stil calling BS on that answer

The NACA hood was not standard on Mach 1's. It was a no charge option, therefore most have them. It was not fuctional without the ram air option. The non-NACA hood was standard.

I believe staggered shocks were not available on 351 2V and smaller engines.

Standard interior was also available in Mach 1. They did not necessarily have the Mach 1 interior.
my 1972 grande has staggered shocks and its a 2v 351 ,so the mach1 was different with this option?

The NACA hood was not standard on Mach 1's. It was a no charge option, therefore most have them. It was not fuctional without the ram air option. The non-NACA hood was standard.

I believe staggered shocks were not available on 351 2V and smaller engines.

Standard interior was also available in Mach 1. They did not necessarily have the Mach 1 interior.
my 1972 grande has staggered shocks and its a 2v 351 ,so the mach1 was different with this option?
Was your Grande an export to the land of OZ or a state side car?

It is my understanding that the sport suspension was an option on all Mustangs no mater the engine.

I think the exports may have gotten the heavy duty as a standard ,maybe?

Don ! You got me !! For sure !!! I was rethinking every thing I have learned about stangs since 1967 !! Your name wouldn't be "Uncle B.S. would it? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I didn't think this topic would generate so much interest. Cool. I only started researching this because I want to do my car somewhat original looking from the factory "somewhat" being the key word.

Question 1: So as I understand it, the black lower body panel was standard with the chrome piece at the upper edge. Is this correct?

Question 2: What does everyone think about the front spoiler not being an option for any Mach1's?...supposedly only came on the Boss351's.

Question 3: What does everyone thing about the non-functional Ram Air hoods only being a solid color & the functional Ram Air being two-tone?

Apparently if the above is correct, my car was originally white w/ no stripe, no front spoiler, no rear spoiler, solid white hood, black lower body panel, Mach 1 fender decals, and Trunk stripe & Mach1 decal on the deck lid. I think that would be a pretty cool setup. I think I'll add the black spoilers though. ;) What do you think (I guess that would be Question 4. LOL).

I think white and lower black & trunk stripe & Mach1 decals would look great. The front and rear spoilers are a must. Mine will be the same except brite red.

Back