*Updated*1973 Mach 1 Value Help...would like to buy...rare car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jeff!! It is pretty much all said and the guys arround this site have the only trustable experience you are gonna find to get a certain advice...

As Im from overseas, i don´t have the same way to value american cars... Every Mustang where i live costs 20K or more if they are restorable...

Anyway... What I think you may sume up here is that you found a good car for a reasonable price... It is in good shape and well optioned and 7500 is a want to buy price... I was never agree with some guys that says "I´ll pay 6000 otherway it is expensive".. It is not like that at all as you can´t afford loosing the car you were looking for, for 1500 dollar difference that you are gonna spend in a blink of an eye when you start the resto process...

So the question should be if now that you have found the best possible car you can find nowadays, are you willing to jump and restore a 71 73 mach 1? If you are then go for it!... We will be arround to help any project so you certainly wont be alone my friend!!

After you own the car, there are a lot of possible ways to do your restoration project... If you are doing it to keep the car or to sale it.. if you are going to go for total stock look or more personalized one.. In here there are guys that have done it all...

Hope you buy the Q code!! Keep us informed!

As Damian (and several others) have said and/or inferred, the key is to make sure you know what you want out of your Mustang. For some of us, it is a personal thing that has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with how much it will be worth once completed; it is about making it the way we WANT it.

That having been said, you should check it close and know that whatever you think you might spend on the restoration or modifications will probably be somewhat shy of the mark:).

Based on how you have described the car, I would say that is a very good deal.

...my $.02.

BT

If you can afford it buy it, these cars are really starting to catch on. When done up right they are some very nice looking muscle cars. The price seems fair to me, it's only money.

Guys,

Wanted to say thank you to everyone for their input and guidance. As I mentioned in my introduction to the boards I have done complete restorations on two other mustangs (66 A code convertible and 69 Mach 1). So I have a sense for what it takes and also what it costs. That being said, I have zero exposure/feel for the 71 to 73 mustangs so that was the point of my post for help. I have not made a decision but am mulling it over as I type this. Will keep you all apprised of what I decide and will post pics if I follow through.

Thanks again to all!

Jeff

PS...if anyone else has any thoughts one way or another would still be glad to hear since I have not decided.

So when are you going to get it? ;)

Original post updated with new info and pics...really on fence and need a shove one way or another. Trying to come to grips if rarity of 1 of 1 car justifies price and complete restoration project.

THANKS ALL

Jeff

Based on your previous restoration experience, it is apparent to me that you know what to look for as it pertains to one of the most important issue (RUST) as it relates to purchasing one of these classics.

To repeat what several have noted, this is a HEAVILY optioned Mustang which could be highly desirable for a lot of folks. Based on your updated post (with the pictures), I STRONGLY agree with don65stang in that this seems to be a VERY good deal...I would go for it.

BT

As most who responded have already told you, this really sounds like a good deal. There is another side to this situation, that is you making the decision to save this car and restore it as it should be restored. This is an awesome find, take advantage!!

What state are you in?

"VIN is missing on dash and current owner bought it that way..."

In Ohio - that car a parts car - no dash tag

Some states will issue a new tag - usually it gets attached to the door jamb.

So even if you do get a state issued vin it hurts the value.

Most likely why it has been sitting for many years.

Call your DMV to find out how they handle it in your state.

This is a very good point. The Dash VIN is the Vin that registers the car in most states,if not all states. That VIN could be on another car in another state? Who knows. I would also consider this a parts car until you have the dash VIN for it. 7500 is still quite a bit to give for something that may have DMV issues. Dash Vins just don't dissapear..

What state are you in?

Eh, missing a title i can overlook (in my state anyway); missing a dash VIN...I'll pass. That just made it a parts car in my book. This car is NOT a numbers matching car because there is no number to match to!

There are many other cars in similar shape but have all their numbers.

A true 1 of 1 car doesn't just get a dash VIN misplaced. Something is not right about that. May be why it is so well optioned over the years.

Title or not, the bumper mounts on the taillight panel and the lower quarters under the valance look questionable - I suspect hidden rust.

-Kurt

A true 1 of 1 car doesn't just get a dash VIN misplaced. Something is not right about that. May be why it is so well optioned over the years.
Well..He let me read the marti report...And if that vin matches one under the fender..and the buck tag...Mite be legit.....It is built so close to mine..Even production date..With a few more options listed on report...Wish it was more tha just the basic marti thou...Same ordering district as mine...I just wonder if its a stock order car like mine from same location....Cause only main dif between them is color of top..lol...Same Motor and everything...Powerwindows and red...It has to be one of the only 4 red mach 1 4v clevelands too get power windows....If it is...It is one lucky survivor...But buyer beware!! Specialy if its missing vins...If you can get the fender off and check the vin under there would be great...but not many would let you do that..lol

Makes me wonder if its a dunton ford car like mine...At the time...The dealership from what i was reading..one of the biggest mustang sellers on the west coast at one time...Makes me think he had a these lined up like jewerly on his show room floor...lol....But not sure..But one thing..The vin on the marti report stang is defenatly one of the 4 made with powerwindows...easy a 1 of 1...If that is "that" stang..becareful.

My break down....If you want Jeff...I can edit out the vin and post the marti report...But i wont do any of that unless you want me too....It is defenatly one of the 4 on my break down...It is same..Built in even the same month..lol

What state are you in?

Agree with Don that you should call (if you have not done so already) your State DMV to ENSURE you know why they say it has a CLEAN title even though it is missing the dash VIN title.

I would say that dependent upon what DMV says and your plans for the car that it is still a very good deal if everything else checks out.

Based on the clean title, I would not think that you will have a problem in the State to which it is titled but keep in mind that if you ever decide to sell outside of your State, there might be some issues relative to what other States require or will accept for titling.

So again, it comes down to what you want out of the car.

...my $.02

BT

Guys,

Thank you all SO MUCH for your input.

On the VIN issue...owner has the pink slip and it is free and clear. Car has an assigned VIN tag on door and this number is reflected on current title.

I spoke today with the local CHP VIN Verification officer. Since the car has the original buck tag with the VIN on the radiator support and since the vin under the front drivers side fender stamped into the sheet metal has the correct vin...he said a new pink slip can be issued with the correct "real vin".

So that puts this issue to rest...only remaining issue for me is...is the car worth restoring and will it still be valued the same with the missing dash tag??

Jeff

What state are you in?

Agree with Don that you should call (if you have not done so already) your State DMV to ENSURE you know why they say it has a CLEAN title even though it is missing the dash VIN title.

I would say that dependent upon what DMV says and your plans for the car that it is still a very good deal if everything else checks out.

Based on the clean title, I would not think that you will have a problem in the State to which it is titled but keep in mind that if you ever decide to sell outside of your State, there might be some issues relative to what other States require or will accept for titling.

So again, it comes down to what you want out of the car.

...my $.02

BT

So that puts this issue to rest...only remaining issue for me is...is the car worth restoring and will it still be valued the same with the missing dash tag??
I think the car is worth it on face value BUT the doubt on the VIN will follow the car and might hurt potential top dollar resale.

Latest posts

Back