Upgrade Torque Converter with Gears?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewAgeMuscle

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Well title pretty much speaks for itself, I am finally making the change from highway 2.73 gears to an Eaton TrueTrac with 3.70 gears in my 9" for some more umph! My car is a '72 Convertible with a mildly built 357c and a FMX. 

Made 270 rwhp on the dyno with the old carb running crappy, hopefully closer to 300 now.

More motor specs if interested:

Holley Sniper EFI

Bored 30 Over

Powerheads Aussie 2v Closed Chamber

KB 30cc Dished Hyper Pistons

Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller 0.566 in lift, 270 int/exh duration, operational range 1800-5000

Comp Cams Valvetrain Roller rockers etc

Edelbrock Performer Intake

Doug's Headers

Looking to have a car that I can daily to work, but still reach the 12's at the strip. Do you guys think it is a necessity to get a higher rpm torque/stall converter to go along with the gears? Seems like everyone is at a crossroad concerning this subject, whether they are other forums online or guys I've asked in person.

Thinking a 2500 rpm stall speed, but someone I spoke with said it made their car a pain to drive daily and recommended an 1800...

What do you guys think? Any help is appreciated, let me know if I forgot to include any info!

Thanks,

Adam

Back