Upgrade triple gauge cluster

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Again, as you've seen in my other posts of my "rebuild," I am not afraid to alter my car to achieve the look and performance I desire out of my '73 Mach 1. This alteration is one I've toyed with and considered many options, over the last 4-5 months. I have mocked up many of the ideas and have finally decided my approach to this gauge upgrade. I have attached pics of the process for those of you who are considering doing something similar. I am satisfied with the results, as this approach looks "the most stock" while giving the accuracy of modern technology.

Temp (180-191) & Oil Pressure (150-1971) are mechanical units. Volt Gauge (332-193) All VDO gauges.

I have disconnected the #8 pin from the 12 pin dash cluster plug. This supplied reduced power, from the voltage regulator (attached to the rear of the speedo gauge cluster) to the triple gauges and is no longer needed. I have disconnected the two Ammeter pins/wires from the fuse panel/harness connector, as these are also no longer needed and should not be left "live" dangling behind the dash. (These wires/pins could be reconnected in the future if someone should want to) Randy from "Midlife" Harness Restorations gave me this great advice!

Here are the pics...I'll post more when the center dash bezel is installed in the car.

Trip gauge cluster - before.jpg

gauges 1a.jpg

gauges 1b.jpg

gauges 2.jpg

gauges 3a.jpg

gauges 3b.jpg

gauges 3c.jpg

gauges 3d.jpg

gauges 3e (2).jpg

gauges 4.jpg

gauges 5.jpg

gauges 6.jpg

gauges 7.jpg

gauges 8.jpg

gauges 9a.jpg

gauges 9b.jpg

gauges 9c.jpg

gauges 10.jpg

gauges 11.jpg

gauges 12.jpg

gauges 13.jpg

194 bulb rplcmts- nex gen led- two filaments- 72HCODE-on 7173 forum.jpg

Nice Work!

I'm a big fan of the VDO gauges.

Paul
I agree Paul. The VDO gauges are a much higher quality pieces than the Auto Meter gauges I usually go for. It is apparent as soon as you hold them in your hands and compare them. These gauges were not that expensive...$60, $52 & $34. They fit rear of the pods perfectly and show the perfect amount of the chrome bezel reveal. They look awesome in the new deluxe woodgrain center dash bezel I purchased from Ohio Mustang Supply!

Thank you for the compliment!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work there Eric, and thanks for the detailed write up with the great pics.

I chose the Autometer road for my gauges, and did not regret it, but the VDO's look to be the business as well. Your approach looks like you'll end up with a very satisfactory end result for sure. For your interest, check out my thread on my center gauges for a cross reference if you like.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-seeking-help-advice-on-centre-guage-setup

Greg.:)

EBSTANG

Great write and process there. My only concern is, "What if the meter craps out?". Is the adhesive removable without destroying the gauge pod?

Thanks,

mustang7173

EBSTANG

Great write and process there. My only concern is, "What if the meter craps out?". Is the adhesive removable without destroying the gauge pod?

Thanks,

mustang7173
I'm not too worried about that. I'm sure I could remove a gauge by drilling out the hot melt glue. That would weaken it's hold enough to work it out of position. (slow and careful) I'm sure I could have a gauge out in a half hour. I'm a remodeling contractor, by trade, and am pretty confident that wouldn't be a problem, for me. Others may have a problem with it but they'd most likely also have a problem "freehand," non-pilot, routing out the pod, as in the pictures...no room for error there!

I will complete this procedure for anyone who's interested. Message me.

Thanks for the positive comments!

Eric

Good work there Eric, and thanks for the detailed write up with the great pics.

I chose the Autometer road for my gauges, and did not regret it, but the VDO's look to be the business as well. Your approach looks like you'll end up with a very satisfactory end result for sure. For your interest, check out my thread on my center gauges for a cross reference if you like.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-seeking-help-advice-on-centre-guage-setup

Greg.:)
Greg, I just followed your link and read the whole thread. Very nice! I posted a thorough comment on your and JHawk's work. Thanks for the positive comments!

Eric

I was thinking the glue was epoxy?

Glue from a gun will melt and get soft on a hot day.

Paul
Glues I use won't even soften until above 305°. If that occurs, I have bigger problems.

EBSTANG, I am currently looking to do the same thing as I have a center dash console, but no gauges or cluster bezel. Where did you end up finding your cluster bezel?
The deluxe woodgrain center dash bezel, with gauge pods (as opposed to center dash bezel w/o gauge pods) was purchased from Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply. I purchased it as a replacement for the original, of the same type. The chrome accents on my original are shot. If you don't have the triple gauge cluster/housing, which holds the 3 factory gauges, you will have to locate one. Atleast you won't have to care if the factory gauges work or even exist if you're going to do this modification. You'll only need the triple gauge cluster "housing" and a new or used center dash bezel w/ gauge pods, which is available with or w/o woodgrain accents. If you find one or need help finding one and fabbing it, let me know.

Back