Upgrading speakers and stereo

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvl5010

Reaction score
My Car
73' 302 windsor
Has anyone upgraded or replaced the speakers in their car? I have a 73 and the rear passenger speaker is blown and the factory radio can't seem to hold a signal so ive decided to upgrade but wasn't sure what size speakers to get. Ive read that a few people online put speakers in the doors, id rather not have to cut new holes on my doors. But some people have said the speakers in the dash are very small and side by side which messes with the sound supposedly. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated 

I replaced my original front speaker with a dual-cone one. It sounds way better, but it's not lound enough. I do know it's almost impossible to put 6×9s in a coupe's package tray. It looks like you have a convertable so I can't be much help with rear speakers.

Mike

For stereos, I suggest one of the Retrosound ones which look classic but have all the modern stuff. I have the Retrosound Hermosa.

For speakers I went the route of dash speakers installing the Retrosound and the sound was subpar making them useless. I suggest just installing some good 5x7s or 6x8s in the doors.  You only need to cut the metal where the factory opening existed. Maybe a little more to fit the 6x8. You don't need to cut the door panel since it already has the cardboard precut. You just need to find the grills which are reproduced. Depending on what quality you want, you can install a subwoofer. This will make a huge difference. I was able to install mine very hidden with almost no permanent modifications. The sound quality of my 6x8 Kickers (KICKER CSC68), Kenwood Sub and Retrosound Hermosa combination is excellent. I also have 6x9 Kickers in the rear but the sound is great even with these disconnected.

Here is a link to my subwoofer install: 

Last edited by a moderator:
Im actually in the middle of doing a sound system in Mine. Going to fit 5.25 speakers with tweeters on the doors and Also a really nice 4x6 speaker fit the dash Mount. Lastly  adding a pair of 6 1/2in the rear quarter panels. I want some bump in the trunk when I’m on a long cruise 

Back