Upper A pillar repair help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerbillz

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang
So my Grande resto is taking forever but in this post I need some specific help.

I have rust holes in the upper A pillar (pinchweld) area on both sides.  I am hoping to repair them with out having to pull the roof skin. 

The roof is rusty but has no holes in it so it can be cleaned up and fixed.. but even if I replaced it the panels available do not come with the area I need to fix. 

I searched all the various vendors and don't see replacement pillars offered that include the section. 

Does anyone have advice on repair or replacement? 

20210323_175025.jpg

20210323_175008.jpg

I see two possibilities, one, find a parts car that you can cut out what you need. Two, make your own patch panels. The compound curves and angles will be challenging, but doable. 

I see two possibilities, one, find a parts car that you can cut out what you need. Two, make your own patch panels. The compound curves and angles will be challenging, but doable. 
Yes sir.. already reached out to another member who may be able to get me some cut off pieces. If that falls through I'll continue to search. 

Failing that I'll be forced to create my own.  I was hoping to hear from other who may have dealt with this particular repair. I've search across various groups and site but yet to find anything about this exact issue.

Thank you for responding.

Did you already contact Mike at "Motorcity Mustang"?  They are a vendor who supports this site and have quite a few parts cars.  Very reasonable.  

Can also check with Don at Ohio Mustang. Another supporting vendor.  Currently, both of these are my preferred vendors.

Ray  

Did you already contact Mike at "Motorcity Mustang"?  They are a vendor who supports this site and have quite a few parts cars.  Very reasonable.  

Can also check with Don at Ohio Mustang. Another supporting vendor.  Currently, both of these are my preferred vendors.

Ray  
Thanks Ray! I will.. thank you for the heads up.

I've seen photos of Rusty Gillis and his son perform repairs on exactly the same area (I believe the thread was on StangFix).  His son is an incredible metal worker and the results were spectacular.  You can patch those a-pillars. 

So I think I'm going to go the patch repair method.. 

After reading a number threads with detailed descriptions and watching a few very good videos .. I think I have the skills to do this repair. 

Sure appreciate all the help here.. I'll be sure to document my success (or failure) and share it back here. 

I do have another supporting question but I think I'll open a separate thread on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a friend that does restorations. He does make the small patch pieces himself not much he could tell you just make them. If you have not luck with vendors here there is a Mustang junk yard in North Carolina and he has several I know. He is on facebook Scotty Strickland friend him. I bought a totally rust free 73 grande from New Mexico for $1,000 going to make a track days car out of it if my back surgery works. Not a hole anywhere not even tail light panel. There was a free coupe roof in Atlanta craigslist last year sure it is gone was headed to crusher if nobody wanted it.

I have a friend that does restorations. He does make the small patch pieces himself not much he could tell you just make them. If you have not luck with vendors here there is a Mustang junk yard in North Carolina and he has several I know. He is on facebook Scotty Strickland friend him. I bought a totally rust free 73 grande from New Mexico for $1,000 going to make a track days car out of it if my back surgery works. Not a hole anywhere not even tail light panel. There was a free coupe roof in Atlanta craigslist last year sure it is gone was headed to crusher if nobody wanted it.
I know Scotty.. I'll give him a shout.. thanks!

Back