upper and lower ball joint repair

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach1
Well finally started tearing the front end apart. Wasn't as bad as I thought. The first thing I did was remove the front stabilizer bar. Next I pulled the caliper and rotor. After getting those off I pulled the strut arm, the shock and the shock cap. For me the scariest part was the coil sping. A friend of mine had a Moog spring compressor. Wasn't as bad as I feared. Just make sure you have a quality spring compressor. The last thing that I did was remove the cotter pins and castle nuts on the upper and lower ball joints. I almost forgot make sure you mark the concentrics for your camber. At a stand still until the weather breaks.

Jim

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
good pictures of your project:D

Dang!! That looks great, Jim. [see, I told you that you could do it. :)]Nice documentation with the pics. Sure brings back memories. Keep up the good work, stay safe, and pick up where you left off when the weather breaks.

Doc

It's actually $36.95 from NPD. Page 75 of the catelog quotes that "We have found that a Mustang has relatively short springs and requires the use of washers to space the upper hooks away from the hex head." I mean they did warn me about the amount of washers. Next time, I'm going to this forum for questions.

Great work. So that's what a good spring compressor looks like. Sure beats the heck out of the one I used...

Maiden It is a Moog. My buddy had it for about nine years. Worked a trade for it. I will try to post pics of it tomorrow. The plate in the bottom has a grove that the bar fits in for safety. This thing worsk slick.

Jim

Back