US Indy Mags

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG41

Reaction score
My Car
351c 2v, FMX Transmission. Ordered from Sanderson Ford in Phoenix, 99k original miles.
Hey guys, trying to do a little homework and I’m stuck. Just got the 73 I bought home, and one of the first things I need to address are the tires. Car currently has 14” US Indy mags on it. Don’t mind them, but will want to replace them at some point. Been trying to find replacement lugs as I’m missing a few, but coming up empty. If I decide to just find some take off rims in the area, would rims from current mustangs fit seeing as they are the same bolt pattern? I know spacing and all that comes into play, but I am in the dark on the rim specs that I currently have.

Attachments

• 2F2392A2-5FBD-4A62-BDD4-E996F9BD2407.jpeg
    2F2392A2-5FBD-4A62-BDD4-E996F9BD2407.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
It really depends on what wheel from what current Mustang you are trying to fit in there. Most of the current wheels are either 18 or 19 inch wheels, they have high offsets. Like an S550 19x8.5 will have about 6.5" of backspacing which you may get to work on the back, but they will definitely not work on the front. You have to look at what specific wheel you are trying to mount to see if it could fit. The bolt patterns are the same, but the offsets are quite different.

It really depends on what wheel from what current Mustang you are trying to fit in there. Most of the current wheels are either 18 or 19 inch wheels, they have high offsets. Like an S550 19x8.5 will have about 6.5" of backspacing which you may get to work on the back, but they will definitely not work on the front. You have to look at what specific wheel you are trying to mount to see if it could fit. The bolt patterns are the same, but the offsets are quite different.
Yeah I assumed as much, more so just looking for something in the meantime. I am having a heck of a time figuring out the lug nuts that are currently on these. The offset part throws me for a loop. I was looking at 2005-2009, based on the ones that are on my 2005. They are 235 55 r17. Probably a dumb question, but do you knw the specs that would fit? And I can start there.

Those are called "mag" or "shank" style lug nuts. There's a couple dimensions you need to be careful of. The length of the shank needs to be less than the thickness of the wheel. The diameter of the washer needs to sit in the recess around the lug nut. Take one of the current lugs off and measure it, and find something compatible. Summit's site allows you to filter by washer diameter, shank length etc. The thread is 1/2"-20

https://www.summitracing.com/search...tOrder=Ascending&keyword=lug+nuts&kr=lug+nuts

Those are called "mag" or "shank" style lug nuts. There's a couple dimensions you need to be careful of. The length of the shank needs to be less than the thickness of the wheel. The diameter of the washer needs to sit in the recess around the lug nut. Take one of the current lugs off and measure it, and find something compatible. Summit's site allows you to filter by washer diameter, shank length etc. The thread is 1/2"-20

https://www.summitracing.com/search...tOrder=Ascending&keyword=lug+nuts&kr=lug+nuts
Thank you!! Super helpful. I knew based on how little the studs were sticking out I needed a longer one that would thread down in there, but had zero clue as to a starting point with what I needed. I'll get one taken off today and see what I can figure out.

Hey guys, trying to do a little homework and I’m stuck. Just got the 73 I bought home, and one of the first things I need to address are the tires. Car currently has 14” US Indy mags on it. Don’t mind them, but will want to replace them at some point. Been trying to find replacement lugs as I’m missing a few, but coming up empty. If I decide to just find some take off rims in the area, would rims from current mustangs fit seeing as they are the same bolt pattern? I know spacing and all that comes into play, but I am in the dark on the rim specs that I currently have.
Are you sure those are not Ansen Sprint Slots from the 70s. Ansen's used shaft lugs with a washer. Ansen Sprints looked a lot like the factory Aluminum slot wheels and came in 14" or 15" and in widths from 6" to 9". I have a set of Ansen's laying around so just for the heck of it one day, attached the factory center cap and overlayed a black pinstripe and put it side by side with a factory wheel. The Ansen wheel needs a good polishing and a new tire, but it looks really close to the original and you can get them in larger sizes than the 14" x 6" factory size.20180727_180924-1.jpg20180727_175744-1 test.jpg

Are you sure those are not Ansen Sprint Slots from the 70s. Ansen's used shaft lugs with a washer. Ansen Sprints looked a lot like the factory Aluminum slot wheels and came in 14" or 15" and in widths from 6" to 9". I have a set of Ansen's laying around so just for the heck of it one day, attached the factory center cap and overlayed a black pinstripe and put it side by side with a factory wheel. The Ansen wheel needs a good polishing and a new tire, but it looks really close to the original and you can get them in larger sizes than the 14" x 6" factory size.View attachment 63808View attachment 63809
Wow, yeah now that you mention it they are very similar. I only said US Indy Mags because that’s what the previous owner told me when I asked about lugs. I attached a couple more pictures to compare, because now I’m kind of confused

Attachments

• DA99FFEA-C7A7-4050-8FEB-32107FFC0DC2.jpeg
    DA99FFEA-C7A7-4050-8FEB-32107FFC0DC2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 67D3F1FE-1D48-4DB4-B143-89B182605D68.png
    67D3F1FE-1D48-4DB4-B143-89B182605D68.png
    8.7 MB · Views: 13
Yeah it doesn't matter to me which they are, more so I just need to figure out the lugs I need. Domino effect of things. Can't go get new tires put on until I get some lugs, and can't get lugs until I can measure these and see what I need haha catch 22.

Yeah it doesn't matter to me which they are, more so I just need to figure out the lugs I need. Domino effect of things. Can't go get new tires put on until I get some lugs, and can't get lugs until I can measure these and see what I need haha catch 22.
I also needed a set of lug nuts for my slotted mags. Mine were basically trashed and each side had a different style. I picked up a set of chromed long shank lug nuts at Auto Zone for under $30. They came with a lock lug, which I'm not crazy about but they fit and look pretty good. And if these get trashed they're cheap enough to replace.
Mike

I also needed a set of lug nuts for my slotted mags. Mine were basically trashed and each side had a different style. I picked up a set of chromed long shank lug nuts at Auto Zone for under $30. They came with a lock lug, which I'm not crazy about but they fit and look pretty good. And if these get trashed they're cheap enough to replace.
Mike
Oh heck ya, thats definitely reassuring, rather than going the ordering route! I'm going to get one of these off and take it there, got one about a mile away, and see what they can come up with.

I replaced the lug nuts on mine, and still have the old nuts and the locks.
Just checked, and these have 11/16 shanks. You can have 'em if they'll help.
These are the ones I replaced.
Keystones.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 63826
Looks great! I am missing at least 5, so need to rectify that asap. Can't get new tires until I get some new lugs! Just hoping they hold up for the mile drive to Big O.

It looks like your 2005 Mustang 17" wheels have a backspacing of around 5". They will likely have clearance problems with the ball joints on the front. Additionally, the tires and wheels will set back in the fenders, looking weird. If you find a set and want to use them, you can use spacers, around 1.5" to 2". Personally, I don't care for the flat look of modern wheels on classic cars, I like some 'dish' in them (make that a lot of 'dish').

It looks like your 2005 Mustang 17" wheels have a backspacing of around 5". They will likely have clearance problems with the ball joints on the front. Additionally, the tires and wheels will set back in the fenders, looking weird. If you find a set and want to use them, you can use spacers, around 1.5" to 2". Personally, I don't care for the flat look of modern wheels on classic cars, I like some 'dish' in them (make that a lot of 'dish').
Yeah after doing some digging and feedback here on the forum, I am going to stick with these. I do like the look of them, especially once I can clean them up. Just need to find a set of lug nuts that will work so I can take it for new tires!

Wow, yeah now that you mention it they are very similar. I only said US Indy Mags because that’s what the previous owner told me when I asked about lugs. I attached a couple more pictures to compare, because now I’m kind of confused
Looking at the additional pictures. The marks left by the screw-on center caps would mean they are not Ansen Sprints. Ansen Sprints center caps were inserted into the center hole. You can see the Ansen center cap in the first picture I posted. You could still turn your wheels into 73 Aluminum slot factory look-a-likes if you wanted to.

Just checked, and these have 11/16 shanks. You can have 'em if they'll help.
View attachment 63826
Are those original Keystones or the later Cragar version? Always liked the look of them.

Are those original Keystones or the later Cragar version? Always liked the look of them.
They were put on the car by the original owner in '74. I like them too. They have a vibe I think goes well with the overall appearance of the car.
8718765638_5547d8659e_z.jpgI still have the original "Klassics" scripted center caps like these. Mine are rusty, and I'm replacing them with new caps.

Those lug nuts are readily available, it is just a shank lug nut, like a lot of the drag racing wheels use. All you need to do is measure the lug nuts that are on the car. You need to measure you shank length and your shank diameter and then get what you need. Thread is 1/2-20.

Those lug nuts are readily available, it is just a shank lug nut, like a lot of the drag racing wheels use. All you need to do is measure the lug nuts that are on the car. You need to measure you shank length and your shank diameter and then get what you need. Thread is 1/2-20.
Easy enough! After I hopefully get the oil sending unit off today, ill get one of these off to measure and run down to oriellys or Autozone. Based on having to wait a couple days for a window roller to get in, I would guess they would have to order them or have them brought in from a warehouse.

Back