vacumn line and thermal switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
Hello,

Am in process of installing set of mechanical guages in 73 Vert, 351 C 2 V, C6 auto, non AC.  My question involves removing the 3 port thermal vacumn switch located in the side of the water pump so I can install a sending unit for the H2O temp in it's place.  Currently only 2 of the 3 ports on this switch are utilized. One prot vacumn line goes to the passenger side port on the 4 port manifold on the firewall.  The other vacumn line on the thermal switch goes to the passenger side of the carburetor base on the same side as the choke.  The other 3 ports on the manifold on the firewall are as follow, 2 to the transmission and 1 to the the intake manifold for vacumn. 

I spoke with the company that rebuilt my carb in 2015 and they advised that I could remove the thermal switch and cap the port on the carb with no issues.  Curious if I can do that with no adverse effects on the performance of the motor which runs great right now.  Thanks very much !

steve

Yes, you can remove it. Cap off the vacuum port on the firewall and the one on the carburetor. Like Ryunker, asked, what is the distributor vacuum advance connected to? It needs to be connected to either ported vacuum on the carburetor or manifold vacuum. Ported vacuum works well with 351Cs.

Yes, you can remove it. Cap off the vacuum port on the firewall and the one on the carburetor. Like Ryunker, asked, what is the distributor vacuum advance connected to? It needs to be connected to either ported vacuum on the carburetor or manifold vacuum. Ported vacuum works well with 351Cs.
Hello,

Little more background ... when I first bought my Vert the vacumn lines were not properly connected.  I spent a great deal of time trying to locate the correct vacumn diagram and finally found one that was as close to my Vert as possible. Since I routed all the vacumn to the right places the motor has run great.  Right now there is only one vacumn line coming off of the distributor.  This line goes to a "T" which connects to the EGR valve and the front base of the carburetor, on the driver's side. Thanks

Back