Vacuum/distributor part on eBay and I can't figure out where it would go

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351 4v CJ, C6, Mach 1 Decor options, power: steering, brakes and windows, a/c, Rally Pac gauges, Deluxe interior.
[url=https://ibb.co/ZVjjKXW][img]https://i.ibb.co/zrMMbxG/s-l1600-2.jpg[/img][/url]
For whatever reason, my 71 Mach 1 , 351c 4v M code, had this type of DVCV installed. I dont believe it was an original item but most likely added by someone through the years. I ended up replacing it with the standard 3 port DVCV. Couldnt find them available from the general Mustang suppliers and most people were not familiar with them.

Here is some info related to how it actually works.

Attachments

• emission_08.gif
    emission_08.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 29
Notice he doesn't show or list the part number - red flag. No Ford logo or part number anywhere on the component - red flag.

IIRC is that's used as part of the EGR system. If the engine heats up, it disables the EGR system until it cools down.

Just for grins, I asked for pictures of the box to see the full part number. He was full of excuses and asked me to provide the part number I was hoping it was. I told him reputable sellers of NOS parts Always put photos of the original box in the listing, and he blocked me from buying the part. So, just saying, DB.

Just for grins, I asked for pictures of the box to see the full part number. He was full of excuses and asked me to provide the part number I was hoping it was. I told him reputable sellers of NOS parts Always put photos of the original box in the listing, and he blocked me from buying the part. So, just saying, DB.

It smelled funny when he had a Ford box in the background, a Ford ring on, all sorts of references to infer that it's an NOS Ford part, yet doesn't show a Ford part number anywhere. He was using the imagery to suggest it was an actual Ford part.

1658431359894.png

He’s got lots of listing with boxes in the background, none showing any identification or part number info. He sells a lot of stuff, almost always they fit a Shelby, including 4 carb hold down nuts; someone paid $39 for 4 nuts, that’s nuts.

He’s got lots of listing with boxes in the background, none showing any identification or part number info. He sells a lot of stuff, almost always they fit a Shelby, including 4 carb hold down nuts; someone paid $39 for 4 nuts, that’s nuts.
Did you ask him “for a friend” what he wanted for the ring?

Hello RC92234,
The official name for that valve is Electric Ported Vacumn Switch-EPVS. Ford started using those in '71 on specific models. Vehicle model, engine calibration, and emissions level factored into what valve you would see under the hood. Location was again dependent on the engine family and vehicle year. I've seen them in intakes, water pumps, and thermostat housing necks. There were no electric valves of this type on my '71 M code Mustangs or Q code Gran Torinos. There was a EVPS on my '72 429 Gran Torino and the '72 Police Interceptor that donated its engine parts for my upgrade.

The short and sweet version of its operation, as told by one of the shop techs, is when the EPVS senses an overheat condition, the shuttle valve switches vacuum advance from ported vacuum to manifold vacuum. This advances engine timing, idle speed, and water flow through the cooling system—hopefully, cooling the engine back down.
The original part# is D1AZ-12A091-A (ID# D1AE-AA), replaced by D2SZ-12A091-A, Motorcraft DY-122 (ID# D2SE-AA), and the final replacement D5OZ-12A091-A, Motorcraft DY-164, (ID# D5OE-AA). The D5OZ version was discontinued in 1/95 but was still retailing for $17.05!

Unfortunately, nothing new, although this seller's tactic is becoming more common as time passes. In the not-to-distant past, these shysters had set new targets with fake "Genuine" Boss 351 carburetors, distributors, dipsticks, etc. Something most Boss 302 and 428 CJ/SCJ owners are used to seeing. These smaller fake genuine service parts are another area prime for fleecing trusting folks out of their hard-earned money. When you start stacking parts with no Ford oval, ID/Engineering #'s, or any identifying features on a strategically placed box, where no numbers are visible, then you are intentionally defrauding parts shoppers, and you are a D*MN THEIF!! If you are trying to sell a part for $129.00 that sold for $17.05 from Ford and know it's not a genuine Ford part, then I can understand why your crooked A$$ doesn't want to show any numbers. And to tell someone to provide the part number you were hoping it was.....🤬
As you can tell, I have dealt with some of these losers at some local car show/parts meets and even on a grander scale at venues, such as the Bi-annual Charlottle Auto Fair. But unlike E-Bay, at least you have the opportunity to inspect those parts and wade through the BS they are spewing while you look!
And....nice diversion with the Ford ring (probably a Fake knock-off also) while peddling your imitation no-name knock-off Genuine Ford parts!
The illustration below, while not a great one, shows what you should see on a "Real" Ford valve!

OK, I'm done now!

Attachments

• 12a091-d1az-a2.jpg
    12a091-d1az-a2.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back