Vacuum leak or Carb Tuning issue (or both?)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lately I've been having issues with the car wanting to stall when giving gas from a dead stop (pulling out of a parking space, etc). It'll start to stall for about a second, then accelerate like I've given it too much gas. It reminds me of turbo-lag when you have a really laggy setup. It doesn't happen all the time (maybe 10%), and seems to happen more often when the motor is cold, but it does happen cold or hot.

I don't have a ton of mechanical experience so i try to research everything I can and teach myself as much as possible so here is a breakdown of what I've tried to accomplish so far.

I think I pinned down when it started happening. I never had this problem until I was working on loosening up a gummed up linkage on the carburetor (Edelbrock 4 barrel) and had a single backfire through the carb. Prior to that I'm pretty sure that the carb wasn't working properly since the rear valves were almost completely locked up when I noticed them. Not long after that I started having the stalling issues and started researching and thought it might be a vacuum leak so I've done a physical inspection and can't find anything obvious, although with this whole Corona thing I haven't had time to really get deep into it. But there's nothing obvious, nothing disconnected or cracked, no hissing, etc.

The car has always been a bit of a pain to start from cold, I have to give her some love and wake her up, but idle hasn't changed at all. I think the PO might've tuned it to run rich, there's always been a pretty noticeable fuel smell when driving, and I haven't had the balls to try my hand at re-tuning it yet since it seems to be running fine and I'm not sure if the smell is just 'classic car' or actually running rich. No backfiring issues, no acceleration issues (unless it's stalling), no loss of power.

Does anyone with experience have any ideas where I should start? Does this sound like a vacuum leak or a symptom of a poorly tuned carb at this point?

1972 Mach I

302 Cleveland

4 Barrel Carburetor

If your carb is gummed up and has running issues, I would rebuild it. You'll chase your tail trying to tune around dirt and grime.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1477

Your hesitation issues seem to me to be an accelerator pump problem. When the diaphragm starts to go bad, it won't discharge as much fuel as it is supposed to, causing a flat spot or stumble.

Back