Valleypan

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alan, the 2v had the vally pans in them. My 351c before I changed over to the 4v heads had the vally pan. When I change to the 4v heads there was no vally pan, just the head gaskets. I did not use the rubber gaskets, just RTV in front and back. Hope this helps.

Jim

What engine and intake do you have? I replaced mine on my 351C 2v, you can get it at NAPA. I have read mixed reviews on them and it seems that it is used choice if you have an aftermarket intake.

What engine and intake do you have? I replaced mine on my 351C 2v, you can get it at NAPA. I have read mixed reviews on them and it seems that it is used choice if you have an aftermarket intake.
315C- 4V with Eldebrock performer intake

Called Edelbrock tech hot-line Du and they say not necessary to use valley pan but just use regular intake gaskets. Oil splashing not an issue

Last edited by a moderator:
315C- 4V with Eldebrock performer intake

Called Edelbrock tech hot-line Du and they say not necessary to use valley pan but just use regular intake gaskets. Oil splashing not an issue
Did they differentiate between having 4V or 2V heads? Any idea if I can toss my valley pan?

Doc

Ford used valley pans on both 2V and 4V from start to finish of the Cleveland run. The idea was to keep oil off of the intake, keep it cooler is what most say. Why then did they have a exhaust heat cross over in the intake? Go figure and search me. Either approach will work.

Chuck

The 351 4v got the valley pan also.I still use it.It does keep the hot oil off the bottom side.Ford would not have gone to the extra exspense of the valley pan if it did not do anything of importance.I like it myself,I can swap an intake,if you are carefull with out changing gaskets.A very easy swap! you can block off the cross over with small metal plates.

Are you trying to "re-use" a valley pan? You keep saying should I toss it--if it is the old one, toss it. You get a new one with the right gasket set. You are likely to have an intake leak if you re-use it.

If you are using an aluminum intake the valley pan isn't needed.

Also it is a good idea to block the exhaust crossover in a performance application.

I am using the pan with my performer intake. I do have a couple of tips I learned about using the pan. 1. It is VERY sharp and can bite you if not careful. 2. Drill a couple of small holes in the lowest parts of the pan to let oil drain because oil will get inside.

my understanding was to keep hot oil off the intake manifold in performance situations.2V or 4V ,cleavlands are a performance engine made to make power with RPMs.Ford put it there,i put them there

Back