Valve cover bolts

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

John J

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
Repainting my valve covers. Some of the bolts have blue paint on them some are black. What is the proper color ???

John J

Pegleg

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
Mine got painted blue. When the engine got painted. The gasket also got painted too

Pegleg

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
Carb was glass bead/water blasted 20psi. Came up like a brand new carb

rackerm

Rich
Reaction score
My Car
Stock 1973 Mustang Convertible with a 351C 2v and C6
Modified 1970 Mach 1 M-Code with a 351C 4v Manual

The bolts should be bare metal or ford blue. I read the valve covers were painted off the engine therefore the bolts would have been unpainted.

Pegleg

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
Hope i got it right. I am not removing and starting again. i used Por 15 Ford Corporate Blue engine enamel

Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I have an original and the engine was painted with the valve covers on. Bolts were painted and the gasket was painted. Original oil Filter was painted. They put very little paint on also and runs in some other places.

As far as I know they did start all the engines before going into the vehicle assembly plant. It was part of the testing at the engine plant, Windsor or Cleveland. They would for sure want to ship the engines closed up with covers to keep the dirt out.

The bell housings were not on the engine when painted and they are black I believe or maybe just raw.

David

John J

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
I have an original and the engine was painted with the valve covers on. Bolts were painted and the gasket was painted. Original oil Filter was painted. They put very little paint on also and runs in some other places.

As far as I know they did start all the engines before going into the vehicle assembly plant. It was part of the testing at the engine plant, Windsor or Cleveland. They would for sure want to ship the engines closed up with covers to keep the dirt out.

The bell housings were not on the engine when painted and they are black I believe or maybe just raw.

David
Thanks David I thought they might have been blue or black.

John J

Pegleg

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
I had my bellhousing glass bead blasted and then used a heat resistant clear coat

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse)
67 GT S-Code 4sp

Prior posters are correct that the engine was painted after assembly.  Some water pump bolts were not on the engine when painted as they would be installed with the front accessories in final assembly.  My understanding to David's point of the engines being run is that it would be a cold test to check pressures and leaks.  Here is my engine painted.  MCA judging allows for some overspray on the bellhousing.  I choose the bare aluminum finish with no overspray.

Last edited by a moderator: