Valve cover repaint help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
I am repainting my stock 72 valve covers. I am having them sandblasted. Do I need to use a primer (high temp) or can I just shoot on the Ford Corporate blue from my rattle can????

I am repainting my stock 72 valve covers. I am having them sandblasted. Do I need to use a primer (high temp) or can I just shoot on the Ford Corporate blue from my rattle can????
I shot mine with self etching primer and then ford blue. I really don't think high temp is very important on the valve covers as far as the primer goes.

Be careful with sandblasting tin parts.

They will warp.

I chemical strip instead of sandblast, or any kind of abrasive blast for that matter.

Follow up with degreasing, prime and standard paint as cci mentioned above. High heat resistant not required.

Be careful with sandblasting tin parts.

They will warp rather easily.

I chemical strip instead of sandblast, or any kind of abrasive blast for that matter.

Follow up with degreasing, standard prime and standard paint as cci mentioned above. High heat resistant not required.

Last edited by a moderator:
OOh...OOh...OOh....me....me....me.....

Never in a million years. A just barely did an acceptable job with my water pump. Not too many drip spots.

Not sure I would sandblast the valve covers. CO2 blast?

Did you take off the emission stickers, if present?

Back