Vermillion or dark red interior?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
We have kinda been on this subject prior for me.  

The car was built december 1970 for 1971. Its a mach1 with deluxe interior. The color code says vermillion 5e. However all the O.E original interior is in it.

( it sure looks 50 years old) is dark red.  This includes the headliner,seats , sail panels. 

One thing I did notice on the door panels is it says reject on the inside of the panel. Which seemed very Odd. I really dont think someone changed out the interior. Especially the headliner. 

So......... I pose the question. Is it possible they had dark red as a option for 71 machs?  Color Photos upon request. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The 5E is only one listed in Marti's book Mustang by the Numbers. 5 is Mach 1 sports interior and E is Vermilion. There was red listed in 67, 68, 69 but in 70, 71, 72 it was Vermilion and no Vermilion in 73.
What is your exterior paint code and I will look up how many they made? There were several that were one for exterior color with 5E interior, Yellow, Goldenrod and Grabber blue are three that jumped out. They made one of each.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vermillion was the only "red" available in the 71-72 cars, no red for 73. As David noted, it was "E" code. There was a Dark Red available on other car lines, but it is significantly darker than the Vermillion and code "D". Pic below is a 70 Torino with Dark Red interior. I have seen the Vermillion parts darken over time, maybe post a pic of your interior?

219939_Interior_Web.jpg

Tagging on to your thread, hope it is ok.
My 71 Mach1 interior color is Vermillion red. I am trying to find where I can buy Spray paint to match. My rear side panels are all sun damaged.
Anyone know where to find?

Attachments

• F6D92106-B4A6-4000-8EDF-08A09E1B147F.jpeg
    F6D92106-B4A6-4000-8EDF-08A09E1B147F.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
I have the same problem. Late '70s build date in a 1971 car. Vermillion interior.
First picture is about the only decent interior seat left in original color.
Second picture is the seat covers I was able to find in OEM for 1971.
It is more darker red.

Attachments

• seat.2.jpg
    seat.2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 13
  • seat.1.jpg
    seat.1.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 14
We have kinda been on this subject prior for me.

The car was built december 1970 for 1971. Its a mach1 with deluxe interior. The color code says vermillion 5e. However all the O.E original interior is in it.

( it sure looks 50 years old) is dark red. This includes the headliner,seats , sail panels.

One thing I did notice on the door panels is it says reject on the inside of the panel. Which seemed very Odd. I really dont think someone changed out the interior. Especially the headliner.

So......... I pose the question. Is it possible they had dark red as a option for 71 machs? Color Photos upon request.

Attachments

• Mach 1 dr inter.jpg
    Mach 1 dr inter.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Mach 1 interior.jpg
    Mach 1 interior.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 15
I have the same problem. Late '70s build date in a 1971 car. Vermillion interior.
First picture is about the only decent interior seat left in original color.
Second picture is the seat covers I was able to find in OEM for 1971.
It is more darker red.

Those seat covers are aftermarket, and the incorrect color and color pattern. The stripes should be black. The installer failed to use the listing wires so that the upholstery would tuck in to the properly cushions properly. The pics that machattack posted are the correct pattern and appear to be OE seats.

Like any item, there were multiple suppliers to Ford and you'll find variation from batch to batch with colors. There will be color shade variations from panel to panel, especially between molded, vinyl and painted parts.

Those seat covers are aftermarket, and the incorrect color and color pattern. The stripes should be black. The installer failed to use the listing wires so that the upholstery would tuck in to the properly cushions properly. The pics that machattack posted are the correct pattern and appear to be OE seats.
Yes, I am aware of the color and black stripe. Since my car isn't original and it would be too difficult to put back as such, I was perfectly fine with the red/red stripe. Especially for 60% off!
I also plan to change the color to a candy merlot instead of the pewter metallic. So I guess my car is a restomod.

Yes, I am aware of the color and black stripe. Since my car isn't original and it would be too difficult to put back as such, I was perfectly fine with the red/red stripe. Especially for 60% off!
I also plan to change the color to a candy merlot instead of the pewter metallic. So I guess my car is a restomod.
As you like it. It will look awesome regardless of what others think.

The 5E is only one listed in Marti's book Mustang by the Numbers. 5 is Mach 1 sports interior and E is Vermilion. There was red listed in 67, 68, 69 but in 70, 71, 72 it was Vermilion and no Vermilion in 73.
What is your exterior paint code and I will look up how many they made? There were several that were one for exterior color with 5E interior, Yellow, Goldenrod and Grabber blue are three that jumped out. They made one of each.
Hi David,
This is a old thread but did you ever get a chance to look up how many were painted wimbledon white with vermillion interior?
Thanks in advance for your knowledge! and help!
Rod

Hi David,
This is a old thread but did you ever get a chance to look up how many were painted wimbledon white with vermillion interior?
Thanks in advance for your knowledge! and help!
Rod

A total of 496 1971 sportsroofs (02 and 05 code cars combined) were painted "M" White with 5E Vermillion Mach 1 Sports Interior. A Deluxe Marti Report will tell you have many Mach 1s were equipped as such.

A total of 496 1971 sportsroofs (02 and 05 code cars combined) were painted "M" White with 5E Vermillion Mach 1 Sports Interior. A Deluxe Marti Report will tell you have many Mach 1s were equipped as such.
Thank you sir!
Never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge the members have. Especially how much you help folks Hemi killer.
I purchased a Marti report many Months ago. Guess what showed up in the mail this morning. Yup the marti report.
It says 157 machs had white body and red vermillion interiors.

Back