Voltage regulator smoking

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTGSTANG

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible red/white interior. Engine: 302 V8 w/air, upgraded Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Petronix, Holly 600cfm carb, power windows.
So I tried to turn the car over and it is only making a whine sound when key is turned. Noticed smoke coming from regulator and positive battery cable is really hot and started melting the plastic cover. I recently cleaned those wires and wonder If I put it together wrong. I had 4 wires hooked up to that side and one that may not belong actually runs all the way over to the drivers side with a wiring harness. The other three wires are positive battery cable,

Ignition and coil. The side that goes to the starter is by its self and is NOT the one smoking. Almost had an electrical fire I think. Any suggestions?

So I tried to turn the car over and it is only making a whine sound when key is turned. Noticed smoke coming from regulator and positive battery cable is really hot and started melting the plastic cover. I recently cleaned those wires and wonder If I put it together wrong. I had 4 wires hooked up to that side and one that may not belong actually runs all the way over to the drivers side with a wiring harness. The other three wires are positive battery cable,

Ignition and coil. The side that goes to the starter is by its self and is NOT the one smoking. Almost had an electrical fire I think. Any suggestions?
Ford external should hook up like this.

Voltage regulator teminal (I) goes to key switch Acc or Coil Risistor

Voltage regulator teminal (A) goes to Alternator Battery Connection

Voltage regulator teminal (S) goes to Alternator Stator Connection

Voltage regulator teminal (F) goes to Alternator Field Connection

http://www.junkyardgenius.com/charging/ford02.html this page should help you with the basics...Sounds like too me you got a wire crossed...And i would buy a new regulator now..Cause they wont take too much..And they are pretty cheap to replace.

Here are some pictures of the one on my 73 convertible. The black cable on the solenoid closest to the batter is actually the positive cable, I did not use a red cable to replace it. Hope this helps!

DSCF9456.jpg

DSCF9458.jpg

DSCF9457.jpg

DSCF9455.jpg

DSCF9454.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You definitely have a dead short. Find it and repair it before replacing parts or you will toast new parts too. When I had a similar experience, the starter cable had burnt thru where it had interfered with the header. It literally melted the entire end off the battery cable.

Back