Wash Pump Function on Wiper Switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1971 Ranchero
For the first time since owning my car (1985)....at least as far as I can recall, I'm trying to get the washer pump working. I'm not getting voltage at the pump connector...fuse is good. I have the switch out and don't get a consistent continuity read on the meter.

My question is, have any of you had any long term success with spraying contact cleaner into the switch?

Here's a follow-up: I flushed, as best I could, the switch with contact cleaner. There a small hole in the rear center where you can see the washer switch actuating. I flushed that followed by holding the wash button down and rotating through the 3 positions of wiper switch. A few cycles of that and now I get a consistent .1 to .2 ohms where before I got intermittent signs of continuity. Time will tell if it continues to work, but I can probably use the same trick (depress & rotate) to get it working in the future.

I have used contact cleaner on some of my older stereo systems and other electronics but not on any of the switches in the car. If I was going to I would use Caig DeoxIt Contact Cleaner D5S-6. The stuff isn't cheap - runs around $20, but it works wonders and is well worth the money.

+1 on Deoxit, also has a light lubricant in it. There's a local electronics supplier, here, that sells it cheaper than Amazon. Maybe you'll be able to find a local supplier, too.

Back