Water pump and distributer- what brand?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I am looking to purchase an alternator and a water pump. What brands should I be looking at? Or avoiding? It's actually for a supercharged 351w stroker (408w). Thanks.. Mike

I am looking to purchase an alternator and a water pump. What brands should I be looking at? Or avoiding? It's actually for a supercharged 351w stroker (408w). Thanks.. Mike
I have used several Edelbrock water pumps with good results. I'm sure there are others that work as well (Stewart $$). Chuck

Ok.. Thanks.. I titled this water pump and distributer but I also need an alternator.. Any suggestions?

I've actually seen them before. I just didn't know if it was a good brand to use..

Ok.. Thanks.. I titled this water pump and distributer but I also need an alternator.. Any suggestions?
I'm not suggesting this company because I've never used their products. However, the site may be a resource to figure out what you need. Chuck

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/which_alternator_.html
I have a powermaster on my Chrysler. They were very helpful when we had issues with pulley alignment with the alternator and vintage air brackets on my stroked to 496 383. Going so far as to machine the alternator case for clearance and a custom pulley. They treated me very well and I would definitely use them again, but as always experiences vary.

Distributor - I'd go with Pertronix II or III. I've heard the III series is more susceptible to low voltage though so I'd go with II. I've had a few Billet IIs and haven't had a single problem.

Alternator - Powermaster 100A.

Water Pump - I got a Cardone high flow for my 70 Mustang and it solved the overheating problems. You can't go wrong with Edelbrock though.

Another vote for Edelbrock Victor series water pumps. Very good quality units. Worth the price point.

Powermaster is good for starters and alternators, for sure. I've had good luck with a local company that remanufactures alternators as well, but I'm using modern 3G components.

Back in the day when I used to run a distributor, I really liked my Mallory units. I do not vouch for MSD.

Back