Water pump and steering column question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ripper679

Reaction score
Hello!
I have an electric water pump to use instead of the pulley driven one on my new engine. Wondering.... on my 73 coupe...... what is the recommended way to wire? I was told long ago by an engine builder that you want it on all the time while running so you dont get hot spots around the cylinder jackets. I was thinking of running an accessory hot wire to activate my water pump relay.

What accessory wire on our car has no voltage when the engine is cranking (or all the accessory power wires like that?) I don't want the water pump turning on while the engine is cranking.

Or... any advice on another way to install

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area.

Thanks!

Oops .... forgot to add my steering column question....
If I have the rag joint installed to the steering box, can I still drop the steering column enough to get a new gage cluster installed without damaging the joint?

Oops .... forgot to add my steering column question....
If I have the rag joint installed to the steering box, can I still drop the steering column enough to get a new gage cluster installed without damaging the joint?
You don't need to drop the steering column to remove/install the instrument cluster. I DO drape a heavy towel on the column to prevent scratching.
If you want to drop the steering column (to remove dash assembly), you can lower it to rest on a crate (or similar) without affecting the rag joint.

On 1973 Mustangs and Cougars Circuit 640 is only electrically charged in the Run position of the Ignition Switch. It is easy to locate that circuit's wiring under the hood, as it is used to power the Throttle Position Solenoid (TPS), and the wiring and connector C-401 is present near the carburetor whether the engine uses a TPS or not. The TPS Circuit 640 wire is Red with a Yellow Hash. Circuit 640 was normally used to power instrument panel Printed Circuitry, but was tapped into for the TPS. I have attached a schematic schematic showing more info on Circuit 640 for the TPS, and some connector info as well. In addition, I have a video on YouTube where I show even more info re: the TPS connector neat the carburetor. I looked carefully at the Ignition Switch circuitry that feeds Circuit 640 through Circuit 16, through Fuse 6 (a 14 Amp fuse), and verified it is only powered during the Run position.

Be certain the electric water pump does not pull so much current that it ends up popping Fuse 6. Fuse 6 is only a 14 Amp fuse, but the circuits it normally protects do not draw a lot of amperage. But when burdened with the aftermarket water pump it is possible it could get overloaded, especially at the water pump's initial start-up. In that case it may be worth replacing Fuse 6 with a circuit breaker as opposed a Buss fuse.

Attachments

• 1973Mustang_ThrottlePositionSolenoid_Circuit640_20210309.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thank you so much guys!
I'll use that wire to activate my relay for my pump.
Great video too!

Back