Weekly Fun Question - Test Your 71 - 73 Mustang Knowledge

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1973 Grande
1989 LX 5.0L
2003 Mercury Marauder
2015 Lincoln MKT
As previously noted, many of the body parts on the 71 - 73 mustangs are the same. This week's Fun Question is:

How does the deck lid on the 71 mustangs differ from its siblings in 1972 and 1973?

Who will be the first to respond with the correct answer?

BT

...and YOU are on it 72!

Specifically, the 71 mustangs had the word M U S T A N G spelled out across the deck lids

On the 72 and 73, the word Mustang is spelled out in "script" above the passenger side tail light.

I must be making it too easy with these "exterior" questions. Next week's question is going to be in another area, possibly engines or drive trains. Stay tuned!

GREAT job, 72!!

BT

My 72 has the script but I gotta admit that I'm not a big fan of it! I like the letters better! LOL

EASILY remedied, Barry!

Contact Don and I am sure he can obtain the "letters" for you and you can swap the "script" out while you are getting the COUPE together:)!

BT

I though about it. I got a set of Mach 1 fenders from Ohio Mustang that have to be drilled for the side scripts...I was thinking about 'debadging' the sides and putting the block letters on the deck lid after paint, but it just wouldn't seem right! LOL! I hate these tough decisions!

the 71 deck lid has a different Lock mechanical that is accessed from inside the lid and is a bear to get to and change the cylinder the 72-73 they changed the design so you can access the clip directly.

the 71 early 72 deck lid also has metal bumpers formed into the lid about 2" from the lower corners. the later lids are flat in that area i guess they thought they needed them for alignment but later got rid of them to save money.

that is in addition to the emblem change.

Back