Well Darn I bought another car, original paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Well I guess I missed a dose of my meds for preventing me from buying cars.

A friend saw a sign posted in a store about 30 minutes from me for a rust free 1959  Fairlane 500 Galaxie Tudor Hardtop for sale. If you know the 59 you know there is no such thing as rust free, lol. This car came from New Mexico. Was bought off Ebay in 2007 and was a running and driving car with no issues mechanically. The interior was of course baked from the desert but still there. They had lowered the car with blocks put chrome wheels on and custom exhaust.

It is a pretty rare model having an FE engine and not a Y block. He said it is a 332 CI engine but I thought they only had 352 FE then. It was a 3 speed with overdrive.

The guy that bought it is a very wealthy man and has an unbelievable probably 4,000 sq. ft. garage under his beautiful home for the cars. He has a full time mechanic that takes care of his cars. From 1930's to a 70 BB Chevelle. He even has the 1957 Ford Ranchero that Ford gave to AJ Foyt as a gift. 57 T-Bird, 59 vet, 62 vet, 50 Ford coupe, 36 Ford coupe, 56 Ford Crown Victoria, couple 1959 and on and on.

He found another 59 Ford he liked better and only took the 3 speed and pedals out of this car.

So me being the sucker for a great rust free car I bought it yesterday. I have to bolt the front control arms back on and get it brought home. It comes with an extra trunk, hood, and engine and some other miscellaneous parts.

As everyone knows I have way more projects than I can do so I am going to sell this one as is. It will be a rolling chassis with the engine and trans out. I think I have another three speed and overdrive I can throw in but I do not have the clutch brake assembly and would have to locate one.

I do not think you will find a 59 in better shape and would make a beautiful restore or custom build.

I did put up on lift and there is not a rust hole in the floor at all. There is small area on the front fender bottom and small area in rocker box but no big cancers. The car is original factory paint and would be a great candidate for a Barn Find build to leave as is.

The pictures attached were from the original eBay listing 2007 and car has been in climate controlled garage since so no change to condition.

I have got to get some more medication soon these great cars are everywhere. I had gone to Atlanta couple weeks back to get a 73 Mustang couple but he sold 24 hours before I got there thank goodness.

I did get the 4 bolt 351 C 72 block I needed for my 72 Q code build last week.

Let me know if interested in this great 1959 Ford. Can come view at about any time once I get home.

The pictures are scans of the printed eBay post.

Cheers,

David

IMG_0002.pdf

IMG_0004.pdf

IMG_0005.pdf

IMG_0006.pdf

IMG_0007.pdf

IMG_0008.pdf

IMG_0009.pdf

Attachments

• IMG_0002.pdf
    329.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0004.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0005.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0006.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0007.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0008.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0009.pdf
    894.4 KB · Views: 32
David, figured you had gone off your meds when I read the headline. Nice looking 59, but definitely has a tail pipe treatment I haven’t seen before. At least your shop is built so your nosey neighbor won’t go off about another car there! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey David, so it looks like you figured out how to scan and post!

Very nice find by the way. I wish we had the same sort of opportunities up here in Canada. Anything worthwhile seems to be a thing of the past unless it's been imported from the US.

Ok got all my work done putting the chain link fence up and took time to clean out the 1959 Galaxie Fairlane 500 and get some pictures. This car is amazing to have little to no rust. I pressure washed the front end and the raw steel is still like new. I pulled the old carpet padding out and trunk liner out and no rust. The residue from the pad is there but no rust, NO HOLES...

So I have located a donor car at the Mustang Junk yard I use so maybe i can get the few missing pieces there.

Now I hope Steve sees this. The code on the VIN tag for Body is 65A. The Ford Parts books I have for 1949 to 1959 do not list that trim option, lol. I was going to make a list of all the trim clips and pick them up at the Charlotte show swap meet this weekend but the parts book does not show this trim configuration. The trim code on the tag is 561 but I think that is interior trim. My parts books are a 1964 issue so it is not like the came out with new model and not in an early parts book.

So if anyone is interested in a very rust free complete not crashed car this would make a great restore get in touch. Will go in garage later this week after I finish pressure wash.

A little trivia about the 1959 Ford. It was offered with a full air ride suspension using air bags and not coil or leaf springs. I have never seen on and that was another of the innovations Ford offered too early and people were afraid of it. I think it was also an option in 1958.

I noticed that only 2 or 3 of the body to frame mounting bolts are still in but do not want to pull the body off. I will put them back and leave alone. Just want to sell it and move on my 72 Q code vert.

David

David, I can't believe how rust free that car is considering it's almost 60 years old. I don't have any of my pre 1960 catalogs with me and the oldest fiche I have is 1960-64. I contacted a friend of mine who is going to get my 49-59 catalog out of my storage building in SC and send it to me.

I do know that 65A is the body type code for a 1959 Ford "Galaxie Club Victoria". I believe the Charlotte Auto Fair is this weekend so you should be able drop by Carpenter's and they can figure out the molding and retainers for that body style. I believe all they have at their tent at the track are catalogs and special orders. The 56 (1) is the interior trim code. If you get a chance could you send me a closer picture of your Data plate. When I try to increase the image size in your post the stamped letters become fuzzy. I'd like to see how that 59 was equipped and pass the info to you.

Did they indicate the size of the extra engine? The 332 was a entry level FE engine but was only offered for two years in the car lineup and then was relegated as a medium duty truck engine. That made the 352 the top dog until 61 when the 390 was introduced, excluding the Lincoln derived 430 in the 59 and 60 T Bird's. (The first engine I ever blew up was a 352)! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
David, I can't believe how rust free that car is considering it's almost 60 years old. I don't have any of my pre 1960 catalogs with me and the oldest fiche I have is 1960-64. I contacted a friend of mine who is going to get my 49-59 catalog out of my storage building in SC and send it to me.

I do know that 65A is the body type code for a 1959 Ford "Galaxie Club Victoria". I believe the Charlotte Auto Fair is this weekend so you should be able drop by Carpenter's and they can figure out the molding and retainers for that body style. I believe all they have at their tent at the track are catalogs and special orders. The 56 (1) is the interior trim code. If you get a chance could you send me a closer picture of your Data plate. When I try to increase the image size in your post the stamped letters become fuzzy. I'd like to see how that 59 was equipped and pass the info to you.

Did they indicate the size of the extra engine? The 332 was a entry level FE engine but was only offered for two years in the car lineup and then was relegated as a medium duty truck engine. That made the 352 the top dog until 61 when the 390 was introduced, excluding the Lincoln derived 430 in the 59 and 60 T Bird's. (The first engine I ever blew up was a 352)! :D
Steve,

My good camera died and I tried several times to get a better pic but no way. Here is the info on the plate.

Body, 65A

Color, A, Raven Black

Trim, 561

Date, 13 G

Trans, 2, 3 speed with Overdrive

Axle, 3

It has Power Brakes, see the vacuum canister on the RH A post and the master cyl. is with the parts.

Also has tinted glass.

No PS, No air, No PW.

The extra engine is a 352 2-V. I did not check the casting date code but will take a look.

The PO kept the OD, clutch brake pedals and steering column to go in another 59 that was even more rust free than this one. I have several OD trans but they are all 6 volt except one in a complete 56 Ford I have. I do have a 1963 4 speed I could put in. Also have Std. 3 speed transmission that would fit.

It has the 9" rear of course that came out in 57.

I did find another car for parts just like it for $500 but I do not want to drag in another one. Trying to just buy the parts I need.

This car could be a killer car for sure if it is a model someone wants.

I am going to spend a couple days at the show probably Friday and Saturday to hunt for some Mustang stuff and parts for this one.

The front suspension parts are not easy to find a complete kit. I need rubber parts for sway bar, upper and lower ball joints, the upper and lower A frame bushings and shafts and the tie rod ends and probably Idler arm. Since the front clip is off and everything apart might as well put new back in he tossed most of the old.

Got any friends that might be interested in buying? I do not think you could find a better one to start with. SMS upholstery has all the materials for the interior or you can buy already made.

David

David, got a hold of my 49-59 catalog. When you get a chance send me the 59 vin and I'll decode it also. They are configured a little differently than the way we are used to seeing them as on our Mustangs.     :)

Steve,

My good camera died and I tried several times to get a better pic but no way. Here is the info on the plate.

Body, 65A

Color, A, Raven Black

Trim, 561

Date, 13 G

Trans, 2, 3 speed with Overdrive

Axle, 3

It has Power Brakes, see the vacuum canister on the RH A post and the master cyl. is with the parts.

Also has tinted glass.

No PS, No air, No PW.

The extra engine is a 352 2-V. I did not check the casting date code but will take a look.

The PO kept the OD, clutch brake pedals and steering column to go in another 59 that was even more rust free than this one. I have several OD trans but they are all 6 volt except one in a complete 56 Ford I have. I do have a 1963 4 speed I could put in. Also have Std. 3 speed transmission that would fit.

It has the 9" rear of course that came out in 57.

I did find another car for parts just like it for $500 but I do not want to drag in another one. Trying to just buy the parts I need.

This car could be a killer car for sure if it is a model someone wants.

I am going to spend a couple days at the show probably Friday and Saturday to hunt for some Mustang stuff and parts for this one.

The front suspension parts are not easy to find a complete kit. I need rubber parts for sway bar, upper and lower ball joints, the upper and lower A frame bushings and shafts and the tie rod ends and probably Idler arm. Since the front clip is off and everything apart might as well put new back in he tossed most of the old.

Got any friends that might be interested in buying? I do not think you could find a better one to start with. SMS upholstery has all the materials for the interior or you can buy already made.

David
David, got all your numbers decoded(Patent Plate and Vin)...sent you a PM!

David, just checking to see if you got my PM about the data plate info on  your 59 Ford. Saw in your thermostat post where your PM box was full. I can resend if you didn't receive. :D
I did get it and thanks.

Did not find much at Charlotte it has got way too big. It would take 4 days to go through it all. I never even looked at any of the cars. Did not go back today lots were packing up yesterday when they saw the weather report. There was quit a bit of BB and 351 C parts out. I turned down a Ford rear spoiler with brackets for $150. I did buy a set of 4 of the fancy mag style hub caps to just resale. No curb rash and just a few small dents and not broken lugs from thinking they were real.

I did sell a few things that I will send out for flatheads. Found out a guy in Ohio is making aluminum block flatheads with 5 main bearings also.

One thing I will probably order is a fiberglass Mustang running horse that is about 4 feet long to go on the outside of garage. He had two at show but sold both before I could find him.

Will go back to the Mustang Museum opening next week. I guess Dennis Carpenter sold his business to his son, lol. He just works on the tooling now. Daniel has the business.

They had drift cars taking people on rides for $50.00 but only lasted about 35 seconds. That is good money and they were lined up and had two cars going.

I took camera but when I pulled it out to take pictures I had left the memory card in computer where I had cleared it out so no pics.

They had added another field it is crazy large now.

Thanks for looking at the VIN info now to just sell the car.

David

David, just checking to see if you got my PM about the data plate info on  your 59 Ford. Saw in your thermostat post where your PM box was full. I can resend if you didn't receive. :D
I did get it and thanks.

Did not find much at Charlotte it has got way too big. It would take 4 days to go through it all. I never even looked at any of the cars. Did not go back today lots were packing up yesterday when they saw the weather report. There was quit a bit of BB and 351 C parts out. I turned down a Ford rear spoiler with brackets for $150. I did buy a set of 4 of the fancy mag style hub caps to just resale. No curb rash and just a few small dents and not broken lugs from thinking they were real.

I did sell a few things that I will send out for flatheads. Found out a guy in Ohio is making aluminum block flatheads with 5 main bearings also.

One thing I will probably order is a fiberglass Mustang running horse that is about 4 feet long to go on the outside of garage. He had two at show but sold both before I could find him.

Will go back to the Mustang Museum opening next week. I guess Dennis Carpenter sold his business to his son, lol. He just works on the tooling now. Daniel has the business.

They had drift cars taking people on rides for $50.00 but only lasted about 35 seconds. That is good money and they were lined up and had two cars going.

I took camera but when I pulled it out to take pictures I had left the memory card in computer where I had cleared it out so no pics.

They had added another field it is crazy large now.

Thanks for looking at the VIN info now to just sell the car.

David
Daniel Carpenter bought his Dad out back in 2006

Back