Well that spring compressor didn’t work 😩

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
Here is the spring compressor I purchased, and I was able to remove the springs, with my modified angle device. But try as I may, I cannot get it to work in the reinstall, and after it came off while reinstalling it (I’m ok but the threads of the Long tighter bolt got damaged), I need one that will work 100%. Can someone recommend one? I don’t have any help doing this, so it’s got to be something one person can do (In case that matters). Thanks, Steve

image.jpg Spring compressor
image.jpg (Modified angle device [MAD]).

This is the one I have. Outer shock tower panel must be removed. 20220122_160634.jpg

Do I have it right, it uses the spring perch to hold the bottom of the spring in place and the assembly is installed?
You were lucky, some of these compressors can be widow makers. This article will give you some insight on how they work. Installation is the opposite of removal. The compressor works between the top of the shock tower and the shock mount on the spring perch.
https://dazecars.com/dazed/spring.html

I've used the first type shown by OP for a very long time. Position is a bit fiddly and some spacers are sometimes required. I put Moly grease on all threaded surfaces and tighten by hand, NO impacts. Chuck

I've used the first type shown by OP for a very long time. Position is a bit fiddly and some spacers are sometimes required. I put Moly grease on all threaded surfaces and tighten by hand, NO impacts. Chuck
Yes! Very important to always grease threads every time and never use an impact.

That is the same one I own, I just used it to install my springs a few weeks ago. It is made by Snap-On.

View attachment 63163
I think mine is OTC or OEM brand

The nice thing is you can remove the compressed spring and get it out of the way.

Do I have it right, it uses the spring perch to hold the bottom of the spring in place and the assembly is installed?
Yes, when there is nothing in the spring tower, no upper control arm, you just put your spring in the correct place on your spring saddle and bolt on the lower part of the compressor onto your spring saddle (it bolts onto the saddle like your shock does). You then center your spring in its correct place in the shock tower with the saddle in place and push the top of the spring compressor through the hole on the shock tower. The top of the spring compressor will go through the center hole of the shock tower cap and from the top of the cap you will just put a big bolt on there with some big washers and start screwing that big bolt in. As you screw the big bolt in, the spring will get compressed, when you have it high enough that you can put your upper control arm in, you just slip your upper control arm into place and bolt it on. then you slowly loosen the bolt on top of the shock tower cap so your spring will start going down onto the upper control arm, then all you do is to slowly guide the 2 spring saddle bolts onto the receiving holes on the upper control arm.

So, I’ll have to remove the upper a arm to use the compressor I just purchased? I’m glad I only hand tightened the two ball joint nuts, since I put the upper and lower with spindle in place. Oh well, practice, practice, practice.

Yes, it bolts to the lower spring perch using the shock bolt holes and then to the upper shock mount. ( you remove upper shock mount to drop it in..) It pulls the spring tight, you slide in your upper control arm, then slowly release to alight spring perch with upper control arm. once upper arm was in and before releasing pressure I added lower arm and spindle loosley attached to UCA and used floor jack to move assembly up to line up with spring perch as it’s lowered. It takes a little bit of dance moves and maybe a little pry bar action but they will align and you can bolt spring perch to UCA and release the pressure…hardest part for me was aligning spring lower end with its stop, it has to rest against it…

So, I’ll have to remove the upper a arm to use the compressor I just purchased? I’m glad I only hand tightened the two ball joint nuts, since I put the upper and lower with spindle in place. Oh well, practice, practice, practice.
If you have the ball joint on, you do not need to remove the upper control arm from the ball joint, if I recall correctly. You can just unbolt the arm from the shock tower and move it out of the way, and then put your coil spring, saddle, and spring compressor in there. For various reasons I had to do my passenger side 3 times and my drivers side twice. I know that my passenger side was completely done the first time I had to take it apart, and I am pretty sure that I did not need to remove the ball joint from the UCA. I eventually got really good at using that spring compressor, and I could take those spring out in 20 minutes or so, LOL.

I use this one. It is safe, easy to use and I never had the feeling that a false movement means my death. Nevertheless I have respect of this task but I used it a few times now and had no issues!

images.jpeg

-DSC0007_2.jpg
The benefit of this compressor is you can it use on many other vehicles with this type of suspension.
It is used by the same procedure as the other forum members told and similar to the archaic self-made Ford compressor. I chose the above compressor because buying and shipping the Ford compressor would have cost me too much and I like it when you can use tools not only for your old Mustang...

tpj71mach,

Amazing attention to detail! In the midst of a major restoration and would appreciate more pics of your build.

Thanks!

Well, I bought the Ford one, so . . .

Thanks for the clarity 71ProjectJunk.

The other question I had, still in the suspension category, what points in the suspension do you tighten while up in the air, and which ones once on the ground? And by tighten, do we mean, snug it up while in the air and torque it to spec when on the ground?

Back