Well that spring compressor didnā€™t work šŸ˜©

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tpj71mach,

Amazing attention to detail! In the midst of a major restoration and would appreciate more pics of your build.

Thanks!
Thanks I do have an individual project build thread going on the restoration. Because of other things happening, I haven't got much done recently but I do post pictures as I accomplish something.

I use this one. It is safe, easy to use and I never had the feeling that a false movement means my death. Nevertheless I have respect of this task but I used it a few times now and had no issues!

View attachment 63178

View attachment 63179
The benefit of this compressor is you can it use on many other vehicles with this type of suspension.
It is used by the same procedure as the other forum members told and similar to the archaic self-made Ford compressor. I chose the above compressor because buying and shipping the Ford compressor would have cost me too much and I like it when you can use tools not only for your old Mustang...
Are either of these the equivalent application of the one you have?

https://www.amazon.com/8milelake-Me...fix=mercedes+spring+compressor,aps,137&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.com/Prokomon-Spr...fix=mercedes+spring+compressor,aps,137&sr=8-2

Well, I bought the Ford one, so . . .

Thanks for the clarity 71ProjectJunk.

The other question I had, still in the suspension category, what points in the suspension do you tighten while up in the air, and which ones once on the ground? And by tighten, do we mean, snug it up while in the air and torque it to spec when on the ground?
You only want to snug the camber bolt on the lower control arm, and the strut rods bushings. You should probably do the sway bar bushings after everything else is tightened down completely. The Camber bolts and the strut rods I tightened down when the car was completely on the ground and all its weigh was on the suspension.

Ah, I have some memories of dealing with those springs. I used the typical internal compressor with no issues. However, I always felt that I was dealing with an active bomb. I never put a part of my body in the direction of the springs, always perpendicular to me.
I guess that's one of the advantages of coil overs. No need to deal with spring compressors anymore ;)

This is the one I have. Outer shock tower panel must be removed. View attachment 63162

I have used this one before, try this. remove the tool. Position a jack under the lower control arm. raise the jack. Place the hook on the third coil from the bottom. Guide the treaded end up thru the shock tower. Place the fork part where the upper shock was. Compress the spring a few inches. Use oil, or wd-40 on the threads. Lower the floor jack, slow and easy. I hope this helps.

I've done that too, unfortunately, there is no motor/trans in that car! No weight to get any decent compression. The car is being parted out, so not really an issue.

I used the OEM tools one you rent at autozone. It compressed the springs fine on my 73 and 69 mustangs. The only tricky part is figuring out exactly where to position everything such that when you install the new spring, the spring compressor is not in the way and does not get stuck. On my first spring, i had to decompress and adjust the spring compressor about 5 times till i got it right.

Back