Went to start my 73 Coupe today...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7173Vert

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible, 1973 Hardtop
Sorry guys, my mind is not on my cars these days due to my wife's terminal brain cancer diagnosis ((. I went to start the yellow Coupe today and all I got was clicking at the starter solenoid. It has always started previously, I think the last time I started the car was in early April. I had a battery tender on it, but it is now not working, not sure when it kicked the bucket. I put a screwdriver across the two terminals on the solenoid, same clicking. I hooked up a battery charger/starter, same thing. Top of my head either the battery (or the solenoid which I believe to be original to the car). Thoughts? One day I hope to get my mind straight and get back to the hobby with more passion...

It sure sounds like your battery and charger is not producing enough amperage to turn over the starter, or the starter is stuck. Whack the starter with a broom handle and try again.

Sorry to hear about your wife's health problems. Hang in there!

Possible hung starter drive? Rap the starter with a mallet and try again. It's always something with these old cars. I think I enjoy the challenge, though.

Continued prayers for comfort and strength for your wife, you and your family.

Sorry to hear about your wife, may God bless her and your family.

About the starting issue everything the other guys said is what I would check. It does sound you don't have enough amps to start. If you have checked that and have by passed the solenoid then I would rap on the starter and see if that helps.

Had the same problem with my 72 Mach 1. Turned out to be a dirty/loose connection on my starter motor. Just cleaned the single terminal, tightened the nut, and it started right up. But not after I had already checked the battery, tapped the starter with a mallet and replaced the solenoid. I was about to replace the starter and noted the loose connection. My best to you and your wife in these trying times.

I am very sorry to hear of your wife’s brain cancer. I had been found to have had a brain tumor in a really bad location almost 9 1/2 years ago. A biopsy was not possible due to its location. The good news is it was found accidentally and very really. I had no symptoms, whereas had I presented with symptoms it would have been too late to do anything.

We soon found neurosurgeon who was willing to try to excise the tumor. After 6 or 7 surgeries and nearly 1/2 year in the hospital recovering for the surgeries I am deemed to have been cured. Since the beginning of my ordeal, which left me both alive and with a some permanent side effects (all anticipated), we have lot a good friend to brain cancer.

Although I have managed to survive for 9 years thus far, and I am considered to have been cured, I do not take the situations faced by others lightly. I feel badly for you and your wife. I can tell you, from being in the other side the situation, she will appreciate every moment you can spend with her, and your efforts to comfort her.

Cancer sucks. I wish you both ciudage and the gift of being together as closely as possible in this period you are both going through. The thought of what you are experiencing together tears at my heart. I have not forgotten those days. Especially the days we spent after initially being told my tumor was inoperable due to its location. Damn….

I am very sorry to hear of your wife’s brain cancer. I had been found to have had a brain tumor in a really bad location almost 9 1/2 years ago. A biopsy was not possible due to its location. The good news is it was found accidentally and very really. I had no symptoms, whereas had I presented with symptoms it would have been too late to do anything.

We soon found neurosurgeon who was willing to try to excise the tumor. After 6 or 7 surgeries and nearly 1/2 year in the hospital recovering for the surgeries I am deemed to have been cured. Since the beginning of my ordeal, which left me both alive and with a some permanent side effects (all anticipated), we have lot a good friend to brain cancer.

Although I have managed to survive for 9 years thus far, and I am considered to have been cured, I do not take the situations faced by others lightly. I feel badly for you and your wife. I can tell you, from being in the other side the situation, she will appreciate every moment you can spend with her, and your efforts to comfort her.

Cancer sucks. I wish you both ciudage and the gift of being together as closely as possible in this period you are both going through. The thought of what you are experiencing together tears at my heart. I have not forgotten those days. Especially the days we spent after initially being told my tumor was inoperable due to its location. Damn….
I’m happy to hear of your positive diagnosis. As you know there are various forms and levels of Brain Cancer. Sadly, my wife was diagnosed with the worst form of Brain Cancer (Glioblastoma Stage4) that also has no cure. They give an avg 12-18 month life span after diagnosis. My wife is in her 10th month. She is hanging in pretty good, but has lost the use of her right hand and has trouble speaking. She went through initial resection of the tumour in January and the man the standard 6 weeks of chemo and radiation treatment. She is then put on a pill form of chemo for five days a month afterwards. At this point in time it becomes a waiting game for the tumour to both grow further into her brain and to see if the original tumour returns. We have an MRI with Profusion today, as they found growth in her last MRI one month ago.

Yes, there are no words to describe the feeling of watching your loved one slowly die, with absolutely no hope of recovery. I do look after her, she does know that she is loved and I will be there with her until her last breath. She was an RN for 32 years, just retired in 2020… 57 yrs old. Life isn’t fair, make the best of it, hug your loved one’s, tomorrow offers no guarantees.

I’m happy to hear of your positive diagnosis. As you know there are various forms and levels of Brain Cancer. Sadly, my wife was diagnosed with the worst form of Brain Cancer (Glioblastoma Stage4) that also has no cure. They give an avg 12-18 month life span after diagnosis. My wife is in her 10th month. She is hanging in pretty good, but has lost the use of her right hand and has trouble speaking. She went through initial resection of the tumour in January and the man the standard 6 weeks of chemo and radiation treatment. She is then put on a pill form of chemo for five days a month afterwards. At this point in time it becomes a waiting game for the tumour to both grow further into her brain and to see if the original tumour returns. We have an MRI with Profusion today, as they found growth in her last MRI one month ago.

Yes, there are no words to describe the feeling of watching your loved one slowly die, with absolutely no hope of recovery. I do look after her, she does know that she is loved and I will be there with her until her last breath. She was an RN for 32 years, just retired in 2020… 57 yrs old. Life isn’t fair, make the best of it, hug your loved one’s, tomorrow offers no guarantees.
My heart is truly saddened by what you are both going through. I could not imagine losing Lynda. Life certainly is not fair. I admire your commitment to your wife. Do you feel the hug! I hope so as it has been sent to you both.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about your wife. My wife and I will keep you both in our prayers. As far as the no start - do your headlights come on? If not then it's the battery. If they do come on do the dim when you try to start the car? If they don't dim then most likely you don't have a good connection between the relay and starter, but it could also be a bad relay. If they do dim then I would think it's either the battery or starter.

A bit of troubleshooting: Turn on the headlights then try starting the car. Do they dim significantly? If they do you most likely have a stuck starter. If they do not then a bad solenoid.

My sister fought breast cancer for four years until it spread into her liver, bones and also a brain tumor. The brain tumor ended her days on March 24, 2018. Thankfully she went quickly after her oncologist gave her the news that the chemo was no longer effective. She lasted 4 months after the bad news. God Bless your wife and your self for y'alls heroic struggle against this dastardly disease!

Love to see your great cars running again, Ken! Don't be happy to still hear of the health issues of your wife. No one can know your feelings other than one that came through the same thing... So I wish you both to stay still strong, live every minute together and don't give up any hope!

Back