Wet Windshield Inside on Ram 3500

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Sportsroof Bright Red.

Looking to see if anyone else has come across this issue. Over the past 3 months or so I have experience heavy condensation on the inside of my windshield. I'm talking droplet size across the entire thing. This has happened about 4 times now with today it was solid ice. I have tried to check to see if I have any leaks around the windshield or running lights but haven't found any. Besides, it would seem that if there was a leak, it would rundown the windshield in one particular area instead of covering the whole windshield.

I have had the truck since 2016 and have parked it in the same spot in same direction and have never had this happen before. I live in the Cincinnati area and the weather has been normal for this time of year. I have never seen such heavy condensation on the inside of a windshield before. Reminds me of my younger days at the drive-in with a hot date except worse. LOL.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing it or how to stop it. I'm afraid it will start rusting out the dash area if it keeps it up.

I would check the drain on the heater/a.c. plenum. Even when you're not running the a.c. it comes on in defrost mode to dehumidify the air. If the drain is plugged all of the condensation will overflow the plenum and wind up in the carpet. Number two check, and more likely, is the heater core leaking, also into the carpet. Check the carpet on the passenger side, see if it's wet.

I would check the drain on the heater/a.c. plenum. Even when you're not running the a.c. it comes on in defrost mode to dehumidify the air. If the drain is plugged all of the condensation will overflow the plenum and wind up in the carpet. Number two check, and more likely, is the heater core leaking, also into the carpet. Check the carpet on the passenger side, see if it's wet.
I have checked the carpet and it is dry. I will check the drain. Something has to be providing extra moisture in the cab area while the truck is just sitting.

Looking to see if anyone else has come across this issue. Over the past 3 months or so I have experience heavy condensation on the inside of my windshield. I'm talking droplet size across the entire thing. This has happened about 4 times now with today it was solid ice. I have tried to check to see if I have any leaks around the windshield or running lights but haven't found any. Besides, it would seem that if there was a leak, it would rundown the windshield in one particular area instead of covering the whole windshield.

I have had the truck since 2016 and have parked it in the same spot in same direction and have never had this happen before. I live in the Cincinnati area and the weather has been normal for this time of year. I have never seen such heavy condensation on the inside of a windshield before. Reminds me of my younger days at the drive-in with a hot date except worse. LOL.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing it or how to stop it. I'm afraid it will start rusting out the dash area if it keeps it up.
My 04 would leak at the clearance lights, then run down the inside of the a pillar trim. Sometimes I would get drips out of the screw mounting holes at the grab handles. Might be worth looking at your clearance lights again. Something has to be going on to raise the humidity in the cab enough to condense on the inside of your glass.

Little critters build a nest and take up residence in your cab? They can block paths that air might vent through as well as add moisture to the environment.
Already had that a couple of years ago. Had a squirrel build a nest and chewed the top om my batteries off. I already check for that again. Looks critters free.

Kilgon,

I have 30 years Auto glass experience and own a couple shops in the Seattle area, it tends to rain here! First has any glass been replaced? If you have not had them replaced I would start by checking the "bug" on your glass. This is the manufacturer info and see if any of the glass has been replaced. It should be Mopar/Safeguard. If replaced target that area for a full inspection.
As to your condensation: Condensation will always gather at the windshield no matter where the water is coming in. You basically have your own weather system in the rig so it could be coming in anywhere. It gathers on windshield due to the temp difference from defrosters, last place to cool.
I would check the windshield first by pulling sills up, carpet back and check how much moisture you have. You can water check it and see if water is coming in: Start low in the cowl area making sure you send a lot of water into the area leave it a few minutes check for water, wait another few minutes and then move up the windshield one side the other and finally the top. If no water go to the back pull the seat and some trim back. to see water. The frame can have a crack, weep holes plugged etc. again take the water starting low and work your way up. If all else fails contact a glass shop in town as you may just get the guy who will do the work at a decent price.
One thing against you is glass does not tend to just start leaking over the years. Urethane adhesives hold very well. The cold there may exacerbate problems so I may be off but my thought is there is a cause, windshield replaced, cracked frame in back glass, drilled hole in firewall, clogged drains in cowl area, and the effect; water getting in the rig. Duh-I know but I'm trying to say leaking glass is the main focus when replaced or look at other things.

You can call me if you like at my shop 206-255-7827 ask for Tom

These have all been great suggestions thus far and I would pursue their advice. I can tell you that the heater cores in these monsters are prone to going bad. I purchased a 2013 Ram 3500 with 160K miles on it this past spring and it did not have any heat when I bought it, but it was summer in the southeast so no big deal. Come the fall the story changed. I first flushed the system, the OAT coolant in these diesels really does not age well. In addition, some of the 2012 and 13 cummings had sand problems in the blocks from casting residue. That gave me heat for 1 day and then the next the windows all steamed up when the blower was on. Carpeting was not wet, but their is a small drain tube that runs out of the firewall on the lower passenger side. If this turns out to be the case it is a BLAST to fix. Dealer wanted $2k to do it. It was about $300 in parts and my time to pull the entire dash and replace the heater core. If you go that route and need some pointers let me know

Attachments

• IMG-0685.jpg
    IMG-0685.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-0686.jpg
    IMG-0686.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 8
  • 2013 ram.jpg
    2013 ram.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 8
These have all been great suggestions thus far and I would pursue their advice. I can tell you that the heater cores in these monsters are prone to going bad. I purchased a 2013 Ram 3500 with 160K miles on it this past spring and it did not have any heat when I bought it, but it was summer in the southeast so no big deal. Come the fall the story changed. I first flushed the system, the OAT coolant in these diesels really does not age well. In addition, some of the 2012 and 13 cummings had sand problems in the blocks from casting residue. That gave me heat for 1 day and then the next the windows all steamed up when the blower was on. Carpeting was not wet, but their is a small drain tube that runs out of the firewall on the lower passenger side. If this turns out to be the case it is a BLAST to fix. Dealer wanted $2k to do it. It was about $300 in parts and my time to pull the entire dash and replace the heater core. If you go that route and need some pointers let me know
I'm pressure testing the coolant system tomorrow and hopefully it will be ok. I did research on what it takes to replace the heater core. What a nightmare. And I thought ours were bad to get out. I will definitely be contacting you if I have to pull it. The temperature is going up to in the 50's tomorrow, so I also plan on pulling all the clearance lights tomorrow and running a bead of sealant under them. I also noted that the roof gps/sirius radio antenna had water under it. I will have to pull the headliner to get to that. In the meantime, I plan on running a bead of sealant around it until the weather warms up and I can work on it outside - truck won't fit into the garage. I'm confident the windshield is not leaking. I flooded that and the cowl area for about 15 minutes the other day no trace of water anywhere.

Last edited:
is it possible to change the cabin filter?
Some of the Rams came without one. I have added mine on. Since I posted this I have reseal the running lights with a bead of caulk under the rubber seals and the problem has seen to have gone away. I was planning on buying new gaskets and lights but for now unless I start having problems again I going to leave it alone.

Kilgon, Where in Cincinnati Area? I spent a lot of time in Cincinnati growing up. Skyline or Gold Star? Chuck

Kilgon, Where in Cincinnati Area? I spent a lot of time in Cincinnati growing up. Skyline or Gold Star? Chuck
I'm north of Cincinnati in Ross which is 5 miles north of the Colerain area on 127. I prefer Skyline but will eat Goldstar when in a pinch. I still love White Castles - but they don't love me as much as they used to. lol. What area did you grow up in?

Back