What are these holes for?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIBS

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sprint Tribute 302 C4 Convertible
Am I missing some important part?

71 convertible tail light panel, I have 6 open holes behind bumper going into trunk, what goes there?

9C616C7B-3288-4D02-89BA-1C5C719DC0A7.jpeg

46134CE9-1CFA-4685-A35A-9EA296687FD8.jpeg

Those holes are for the 73 only rear bumper filler panel, and are in all the available 71-73 repop taillight panels. Why the stamping company put them in considering it's a 1 year thing, is beyond me. Probably comes down to they were given a D3ZZ part to work from and didn't know any better. Way easier to make holes as needed, than to weld them shut. 

Those holes are for the 73 only rear bumper filler panel, and are in all the available 71-73 repop taillight panels. Why the stamping company put them in considering it's a 1 year thing, is beyond me. Probably comes down to they were given a D3ZZ part to work from and didn't know any better. Way easier to make holes as needed, than to weld them shut. 
Agreed, The only panel on my car that had to be replaced is the taillight panel. The body guy welded them up, What a PTIA!.

Ok thanks!

I have a 71. Or I think I do….LOL I guess the rear tail light panel was replaced….

This car is a complete mystery, half 73, half 71.  The story is the guys 71 got burned in a fire, and a bunch of 73 parts were melded on the front half.  This is really making me wonder if somehow the dash plate and VIN didn’t just get tossed in a 73 and the guy called it a day….I am going to have to dig for other vins under the fenders, and check the block…it looks like 71 engine and emissions and such…but…ya never know I guess….it’s definitely 73 seats, dash, wiring harness…

Back