What brakes do I have?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Fastback - 351C-4V, Fitech EFI, T56 Magnum 6 Speed
Hello gents, I decided to stay stock with brakes and replace my rotor and pads along with some suspension work at the same time. Well, got the new rotor installed and then go to take care of the pads and see that what I have and what I see online for this car are totally different than what I have. After some googling around it looked like maybe the pads are for a Mustang II / Pinto so grabbed a set locally until I can get something better. They looked small in the store and of course when I got them home they were similar style shape but too small. OK, let's put the old pads back on for now. Well they don't fit on the new rotor and bottom out on the hub and looking closer, the caliper actually hits the back of the rotor when tightened down. 

So first question is, does anyone know what was actually on the car? Are they maybe Granada brakes or something like that? 

Then any way to not have to return this rotor and go all Granada or whatever this is? I'm not opposed to buying OEM calipers, but I assume I then need the mounting bracket and related hardware, right? I am trying to get this back on the road this weekend as it's parked in a bad spot to leave it very long. Thanks for any advice or feedback. 

image.pngS

image.png

image.png

image.png

Looks like Granada to me.  That is what is on my 71.  You can check the following parts numbers to see if they match. These are for an 79 Granada.  

Autozone  Calipers - Duralast # 194 and 195   Pads  - Duralast  # D91 - no picturs but are the same as what you have.

20191118_141650_resized.jpg

20191028_145730_resized.jpg

Rotors plus bearings and seals came from NAPA -  These are Napa's part numbers for Timkens  equivalent bearings below.

Bearings.jpg

Your rotor should be 11" diameter with a  height of 4.15" with 4 1/2 " stud pattern.  You can check the specs on Napa's website.

Rotors.jpg

20200925_150635_resized.jpg

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK thanks. That does help a lot. Looks like the same bearings as I got for the Mustang rotors so I can reuse that, but everything else needs to be returned. Grabbing some new parts at Napa now since they close in a few and hopefully this is the right thing, but looks promising. 

Just wanted to confirm that yes they are Granada. Thanks Klingon, that helped a bunch. 
Glad to have helped.  Took me about 2 hours of opening boxes at Pep Boys to figure out the calipers.  From there it was another hour checking dimensions on the bearings and rotors.  I am keeping a log of all modifications made to the car and what parts are used so the next owner doesn't have to go through this guessing game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back