What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found some motor mounts for cheap on ebay and they turned out to be in great shape. They were being sold as 71-73 mounts so I figured the seller didn't realize they were rare. You can still see the ford logo in the rubber and they are solid. I am considering rebuilding my loose set with polyurethane just to see how hard it would be.

ZY2Tmcel.jpg

l2ddVNbl.jpg
I believe those are 73 they are different and the vert is different from coupe and fastback also in 73. The 73 mount cannot separate and the engine roll over trapped by metal.

I believe those are 73 they are different and the vert is different from coupe and fastback also in 73. The 73 mount cannot separate and the engine roll over trapped by metal.
I was wondering what was different. When I tried to buy after market from NAPA,Autozone,etc.   the hole where it mounted to the frame was just enough off location that I coldn't get the bolt through. I put the originals back in. When I got the new motor, the shop replaced them with new, but I never di ask about where they got them or if they fit without mods?

Bought this a long time ago and finally got around to installing.

Note the piece of foam holding the original up. It would always fall down during driving. I tried to put a little dimple in around the ball socket with a spring loaded center punch, but won't know if it did any good until I get to drive around.

PA230003.jpg

For a minute, I thought that I could get the old one off in one piece...

blade.jpg

PA230007.jpg

Text shows it is the new one. Can't wait to try it out....

PA270010.jpg

After taking the mirror off of the body and operating, I discovered that I could just removed the mirror with bracket leaving the housing on the door. So if I have to try and stiffen it up, I know how to take it off easier.

Found some motor mounts for cheap on ebay and they turned out to be in great shape. They were being sold as 71-73 mounts so I figured the seller didn't realize they were rare. You can still see the ford logo in the rubber and they are solid. I am considering rebuilding my loose set with polyurethane just to see how hard it would be.

ZY2Tmcel.jpg

l2ddVNbl.jpg
They are 73, I have to double check that they are for a fastback but they look just like my old set.

Well, I've been eyeballing that Pertronix Ignitor III unit for months now. It is advertised as having more available spark energy than the regular original Pertronix, or the following Pertronix II, supplies a multiple spark like an MSD, and has a programmable rev limiter.....all fitting inside the factory distributor.

I've been running the original Pertronix Ignitor for something like 20 years now, no problems, so I had to try out the new unit. They recommend purchasing the Ignitor III coil to go with the module, so I did. I had long ago installed the Pertronix relay kit to give the ignition a full 12 volt operating voltage so I was set.

The new III module just bolts right in, the magnet wheel that was slipped over the breaker cam for the original unit is not used, the III triggers off of the breaker cam itself....pretty simple. The Rev limiter is pre-set at 5500 from the manufacturer when you get it. I left it alone. Being a stock 351c, a higher redline isn't reasonable, and I'll likely not even rev to 5000 in normal driving, so instead of re-setting the rev limiter lower, I left it alone.

I re-installed the distributor to the engine in the same position marked when removed, installed the coil, attached the wires, turned the key, she lit immeadiately and idled nicely. ( It did before too ). Its just nice to know some manufacturers stuff actually works as advertised. I'm getting slightly better gas mileage, and acceleration is noticeably snappier. I'd say I'm happy with the addition.

Just to fine tune the car now, I think I'll open my plug gaps and adjust my total advance ( which is a bit high ), looking to run 10 initial, 34 total when all is said and done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to the Auto Hobby Shop, changed the oil, and cleaned the tires.  There was a lot of built-up tire dressing - after most of a big bottle of Bleech White, the tire dressing's gone, but the faded white letters on the fronts still persist.  I might just have to get a [white] tire pen and paint 'em.  Rears still look great.

Went to the Auto Hobby Shop, changed the oil, and cleaned the tires.  There was a lot of built-up tire dressing - after most of a big bottle of Bleech White, the tire dressing's gone, but the faded white letters on the fronts still persist.  I might just have to get a [white] tire pen and paint 'em.  Rears still look great.
4x4, try scrubbing the white letters with water and a SOS pad, that should do pretty good. I have cleaned yellowed white walls on show cars with lacquer thinner on a rag, really gets 'em white, however, you must be carefull when using lacquer thinner not to drag the cloth across any of the black part of the tire or it will drag some black onto the white and streak it. Old cotton "T" shirts work good here for wiping with lacquer thinner.

Started to remove old paint from the quarters and roof. Used my polishing machine with a 40 grit disc for the main areas and works well with low speed to prevent any warping.

Found a few paint layers even some original bright red still on the roof.

Also made a $15 sandblasting gun thanks to Youtube, using a soda bottle and an air gun.

Works well enough for small projects

Well, I've been eyeballing that Pertronix Ignitor III unit for months now. It is advertised as having more available spark energy than the regular original Pertronix, or the following Pertronix II, supplies a multiple spark like an MSD, and has a programmable rev limiter.....all fitting inside the factory distributor.

I've been running the original Pertronix Ignitor for something like 20 years now, no problems, so I had to try out the new unit. They recommend purchasing the Ignitor III coil to go with the module, so I did. I had long ago installed the Pertronix relay kit to give the ignition a full 12 volt operating voltage so I was set.

The new III module just bolts right in, the magnet wheel that was slipped over the breaker cam for the original unit is not used, the III triggers off of the breaker cam itself....pretty simple. The Rev limiter is pre-set at 5500 from the manufacturer when you get it. I left it alone. Being a stock 351c, a higher redline isn't reasonable, and I'll likely not even rev to 5000 in normal driving, so instead of re-setting the rev limiter lower, I left it alone.

I re-installed the distributor to the engine in the same position marked when removed, installed the coil, attached the wires, turned the key, she lit immeadiately and idled nicely. ( It did before too ). Its just nice to know some manufacturers stuff actually works as advertised. I'm getting slightly better gas mileage, and acceleration is noticeably snappier. I'd say I'm happy with the addition.

Just to fine tune the car now, I think I'll open my plug gaps and adjust my total advance ( which is a bit high ), looking to run 10 initial, 34 total when all is said and done.
Just a cautionary note: the Ignitor III is incompatible with the Ford tach and even Petronix says that they can't do anything about it.

Just a cautionary note: the Ignitor III is incompatible with the Ford tach and even Petronix says that they can't do anything about it.
It's been two weeks now, and I drive it to work every day.....no issues, Factory tach and all. Just to follow up, I'll call Pertronix this week and ask about any incompatability issues to address.

Just a heads up. I am not the only one who had issues with the P III after a while. Mine was in for about 6-8 months before I started getting erratic performance and found that the timing would vary by about 2-3 degrees, jumping back and forth. I don't put a lot of miles on my car but there was not a lot of play in the P III unit so I swapped it our for an HEI style distributor and would never go back. I hope you have better luck than myself and others have had.

4x4, try scrubbing the white letters with water and a SOS pad, that should do pretty good. I have cleaned yellowed white walls on show cars with lacquer thinner on a rag, really gets 'em white, however, you must be carefull when using lacquer thinner not to drag the cloth across any of the black part of the tire or it will drag some black onto the white and streak it. Old cotton "T" shirts work good here for wiping with lacquer thinner.
I'll give that a shot, thanks!   ::thumb::

The Bleech-White got it better than it's been in awhile, but gave up short of getting them completely white (they kind of fade from white to dry dirt color the further toward the outside of the tire).  I also tried some Simple Green and Purple Power using some metal detail brushes to scrub them - nothing.  I've also tried a Mr. Clean "Eraser" scrubby-pad and also used some thinner, with no results.  

Yesterday, I also actually tried dabbing a little bit of the White Shoe Polish onto a few of the letters, and quickly decided that was going to be a mistake.

If the SOS pad doesn't get it, I have some Acid Wheel Cleaner that took care of some hard water spots on my Honda's windows years ago.  Something's gotta work - I hate black-wall tires.

It's been two weeks now, and I drive it to work every day.....no issues, Factory tach and all. Just to follow up, I'll call Pertronix this week and ask about any incompatability issues to address.
  I called the Pertronix tech line this morning early, ( 909 ) 547-9058, and talked with a representative, relayed the info that another Mustang owner had said that the unit was not compatable with the Ford tach. I was told that the Pertronix III IS compatable with, in his words, 95% of the applications they are use for. His explanation was that some aftermarket Tachs, and capacitive discharge ignitions won't work right with the Pertronix III unit, but that Pertronix also had a "diode kit" that will correct the tach problem. I told him that I had purchased the retro-fit III unit for my OEM distributor, along with their relay kit, and their Flamethrower III coil, and that I have a factory tach...he assured me that I'm good. I'm not going to worry about it, BUT, should the situation change, you can be sure I'll post up!

Well, after sitting for about 6 months and only getting started a few times i picked it up from storage at my mom's house and brought it back home. Power steering fluid leak but otherwise she ran fine. I added some fresh gas and will take it a bit easy on her until I run through the tank. Here in Arizona the weather is turning perfect for cruising the Mustang. I am going to go put more air in the tires and then take her for a bath!

It was fun to be back in the driver seat. I do love this car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, after sitting for about 6 months and only getting started a few times i picked it up from storage at my mom's house and brought it back home.   Power steering fluid leak but otherwise she ran fine.  I added some fresh gas and will take it a bit easy on her until I run through the tank.  Here in Arizona the weather is turning perfect for cruising the Mustang.   I am going to go put more air in the tires and then take her for a bath!

It was fun to be back in the driver seat.  I do love this car.
I’m jealous. Put mine in storage for the winter. Cryed a little as I closed and Locked the door. Sure had a hell of a good time getting there though. Runs crazy strong when it is 28 degrees.

Well that was fun. I took the convertible, top down, on a regular route today only I varied it a bit and went down a different freeway. While driving along what do I see? A Yellow 1973 Mach 1 on a on ramp and it looks like it was in pretty good shape. I caught up to him and he was as happy to see me and I was to see him. We exchanged a few thumbs up, smiles and waves. I was kinda hoping he was going to take my freeway exit. I would have given him a card. It's a blast to be in the Mustang and see another one wandering around.

Dropped the engine in on Saturday, ran into some issues as expected (My Sachs clutch kit came with 2 wrong pilot bearings). It's in though, have a little bit more to do and it's like 20º now so I'm not really rushing to drive it. 

oKYUJkbl.jpg

pulled the brand new build of the engine out after finding aluminum filings from test turnovers..........................back to the machine shop to tear down and verify if its tearing up or cnc residue left from maching..........better safe and a little poorer than out 10 grand in an engine. :(

Back