What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So with no windows in the car passenger side due to waiting on parts and the car parked on the drive, the car cover came off in the storm and high winds here :(

Car is now soaking wet inside. Im Pissed off! I hate Winter

I have the Wilwood MC. Something that I think is a pain with these MCs is that you need to remove 4 tiny Allen screws to remove the cover. Specially that the front most screw is right under the apron brace. Every time I do this I either drop the Allen wrench or a screw. In my search for a better option I ended up getting these thumb screws in addition to a plastic nut to serve as a washer and prevent the fluid to exit through the screw. No doubt that the Allen screws look better, but here I am going for confort and practicality. At least now I don't need to use a wrench to remove them. I bought couple extra ones to have in the car in case I lose one. If interested, the thread of the screws is 8-32. A trip to any good hardware store and a couple of dollars will do it.

Before and after

i was very happy with the results. the texture came out well. not exactly like original texture but good enough for who it's for.

The new finish is also harder than i expected after sanding the old dirty, chalky crap off and using my primer to bond the surface and the SEM texture coating then the dye paint over that.. At least i can't scratch it off with my fingernails like before.

the bucket seat back panels turned out the same way. So now i need to get started with the new upholstery.

Wayne
Looking great thanks for posting. I guess you have a 71 with Power Windows.

True story..... lollerz  Last week I enlisted my wife's help to bleed the brakes. We have done this several times so she knows the deal. Pump, press, hold, release and so on. While she is doing this I am turning the bleeder and not much is coming out. I measure the pressure, with the pressure gauge that so kindly Jeff73Mach1 lent me, and it shows zero. I double check with her to make sure she is pressing the pedal, she acknowledges and then I ask her to press harder.... The pressure reading was still zero. I am like, what the heck is going on. I started checking the bleeder, bled all the air from the gauge and tried a few more times and the same thing, she is pressing hard on the pedal and there is zero pressure in the line. :chin: :chin: :chin:

Then I go to the passenger window and I see she was pressing the gas pedal..... OMG... what a waste of time :mad: :mad: . I guess that my first question should have been if she was pressing the BRAKE pedal. I never thought that she would be pressing the gas pedal instead. Oh well.... live and learn!! :shootself: :shootself: 

PS: I have to thank her because at least I got some help

I installed an Addco 1 1/8” front sway bar and some new front shocks. Actually did this last week, but today I put new rear shocks on. The sway bar and front shocks were pretty easy, but the rear shocks were a royal pain the ass! I know a lot of guys know this, but for anyone who hasn’t done this before get ready for some fun! I had to remove my back seat anyway so I can install the stuff to make my Mach have roll down quarter windows.

True story..... lollerz  Last week I enlisted my wife's help to bleed the brakes. We have done this several times so she knows the deal. Pump, press, hold, release and so on. While she is doing this I am turning the bleeder and not much is coming out. I measure the pressure, with the pressure gauge that so kindly Jeff73Mach1 lent me, and it shows zero. I double check with her to make sure she is pressing the pedal, she acknowledges and then I ask her to press harder.... The pressure reading was still zero. I am like, what the heck is going on. I started checking the bleeder, bled all the air from the gauge and tried a few more times and the same thing, she is pressing hard on the pedal and there is zero pressure in the line. :chin: :chin: :chin:

Then I go to the passenger window and I see she was pressing the gas pedal..... OMG... what a waste of time :mad: :mad: . I guess that my first question should have been if she was pressing the BRAKE pedal. I never thought that she would be pressing the gas pedal instead. Oh well.... live and learn!! :shootself: :shootself: 

PS: I have to thank her because at least I got some help
rofl

After almost two years of sitting and not starting it up I changed the oil and fired life into the engine! I took it for a trip to the gas station and put some fresh gas in.

Overall it did well. The tranny shifted crisp, the brakes had good feel. A bit of noise from the power steering at first but it quieted down. I park the car at my moms house because we don't have room for a fourth car here at home. My Jeep Cherokee has been getting all of the love over the past couple of years. So I don't start it or drive it very much but I think this is going to change. I love driving it. I love the sound. I love the old school feel. And it is beautiful too! So excited.

What came out of the steering pump was old. I should have checked earlier , but I'm found to be negligent.

I am bad, a heel, a sordid odious wart on the face of humanity. :-/

I do not deserve this car.  :poke:  Rocketfoot should have me apprehended, have me shackled and placed into stocks, so that the whole forum membership can pelt me with rancid tomatoes and other rotten veggies.

I am a disgraceful Mustang owner and must be punished. I have committed the most ignominious crimes against this car.

There should be a 7173 Supreme Court and a judge presiding ....so I await my sentence  :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
What came out of the steering pump was old. I should have checked earlier , but I'm found to be negligent.

I am bad, a heel, a sordid odious wart on the face of humanity. :-/

I do not deserve this car.  :poke:  Rocketfoot should have me apprehended, have me shackled and placed into stocks, so that the whole forum membership can pelt me with rancid tomatoes and other rotten veggies.

I am a disgraceful Mustang owner and must be punished. I have committed the most ignominious crimes against this car.

There should be a 7173 Supreme Court and a judge presiding ....so I await my sentence  :huh:
Hey, at least you didn't make a comment about not liking dog dish hubcaps.   :shootself:

Hey, at least you didn't make a comment about not liking dog dish hubcaps.   :shootself:
OMG - how dare they !... some people like to live dangerously.

...Hunt them down and gut them like a fish.  ::thumb::
Well, it was me... so.....   :whistling:

OK - no pictures, unfortunately.  But, yesterday I went to the Auto Hobby Shop and got a lift. (Yay!  They're working again!).  

Nice day for a drive, cool outside, and only a couple folks at the AHS, so no worries getting a lift.  Of course, the usual “everybody wants to talk about the Mustang in the parking lot” happened both at Stripes (a local convenience store) and O’Reilly Auto Parts.  That went to a whole new level, though – there was a guy about my age (Anthony) with his Dad, Edgar.  Edgar was a Vietnam Vet and we were all talking about the Mustang and how Edgar was planning on buying one when he returned from Vietnam, but unfortunately life got in the way and he never did.  During the course of talking with them, Anthony asked if I wouldn’t mind doing a favor – take Edgar for a quick spin.  I found out they were heading back to Sonora so Edgar and I hopped in and took off down South Bryant – stopping at the Stripes on the way out of town.  Along the way, we saw a somewhat ragged-out ’05 ‘Vette making all sorts of ‘race me’ noises… I just waved at him.  I did punch it off the line at South Jackson, which put a big ol’ grin on Edgar’s face.  After pulling into the parking lot and exchanging a few more pleasantries, I took off and headed for the base.  That was pretty fun – Edgar was a cool old guy.

I’ve been having some rattles and squeaks that had me concerned – Since I welded the new front clip on, I’ve been afraid of the possibility of the car folding up like a Swiss Army knife hitting a major bump, and the rattles and squeaks have not exactly been confidence-building.  Granted, I added the sub-frame connectors, so I know it’s solid… it’s just one of those things, ya know?

So, that’s Task #1 – fix the squeaks and rattles.  First thing, I swapped out the front upper shock bushings (the bottoms of the two ‘upper bushing sandwiches’ were pretty well squished and not the best – passenger side nut was only finger tight).  Then did a walk-around above and underneath, and found a few things that had worked loose – the most significant was the export brace mount at the firewall (those triangular bits that go from the shock towers back)… it was loose.  As in, ‘almost lost the nuts on the bottom side of the bolts,’ loose.  Tightened them up, along with a few other things.

Then moved on to Task #2 – change all the lug nuts.  Yeah… apparently, I didn’t pay attention to the ones I ordered.  I’m on set #4 now.  The first set was some actual Cragar nuts, but 7/16”-20 pitch… which my studs are ½”-20 pitch.  Well – crap.  Gave those to Gonzo, since they fit his Camaro just fine, and ordered another set of Cragar ½”-20 pitch.  Those showed up… and I lost them in the garage somewhere (I thought I’d put them in the trunk so I’d have ‘em when I made a trip to the AHS sometime, but nope… apparently, not).  I know… smack me the next time you see me.  I finally gave up on trying to find them about a month ago and ordered some more from Summit Racing, ½”-20 pitch.  Discovered yesterday that they require a 15/16” socket, which the sidewall is too thick to clear the ‘barely enough room for even the lug nuts to fit’ space – besides, the current lug nuts use a 7/8” thin wall socket (same size as the locking nuts, too).  POO-DOO!!  I ordered the correct ½”-20 longer lug nuts requiring 7/8” socket when I got home.  Still shakin’ my damn head over that one.

Task #3 was to replace the stud that got stripped out [i’m guessing] by Discount Tire when they did a warranty repair on the left rear.  Unfortunately, that is one of the originals, and no matter what I did with the 6-lb sledge, there was zero effect on it wanting to come out.  I did manage to mushroom the sh!t out of it, though.  Yay!  So, Task #3 was a wash.  I’ll use my MAP Gas torch in the driveway once of these weekends after I get the new lug nuts and feel like working on those.  If that doesn’t work, then I’ll look into pulling the axle and putting it in a press.  Although, if I start pulling axles apart to that degree, I’m have to look into what I need to get the rear disc conversion installed (Jim gave me a set-up a few years ago, since he had a ‘small bearing’ set, which his Galaxie was a ‘large bearing’ set – I think I just need a new MC, proportioning valve, and the rotors & pads themselves).

Task #4 was to get the white letters cleaned.  My last ditch effort before reversing to black walls was to sand the letters.  I fired up my trusty hand-held orbital pad sander with 120-grit and had white raised white letters again in about 10 minutes.  Didn’t take much effort at all.  Should’ve done that 3 years ago.  Oh well – now I know… if it gets like that again, just lightly sand ‘em down.  No biggie.

Task #1 was apparently a big success, since I didn’t hear a single squeak or rattle on the way home.  Apparently, those sheet metal export braces are a bit more important to the structural integrity than I would’ve thought.  Keeping ‘em crossed that ‘that, is the end of that.’  At least if the squeaks or rattles come back, I’ll have a good place to start (those export braces).  I might look into a meatier unit to replace ‘em – kinda like the older model ‘K-member’ export braces.  I’ll try to hang onto them, since they are unique to the ’71-‘73s, but I’m not opposed to something that’s more function that form – could make all the difference for structural integrity, after all.

OK - no pictures, unfortunately.  But, yesterday I went to the Auto Hobby Shop and got a lift. (Yay!  They're working again!).  

Nice day for a drive, cool outside, and only a couple folks at the AHS, so no worries getting a lift.  Of course, the usual “everybody wants to talk about the Mustang in the parking lot” happened both at Stripes (a local convenience store) and O’Reilly Auto Parts.  That went to a whole new level, though – there was a guy about my age (Anthony) with his Dad, Edgar.  Edgar was a Vietnam Vet and we were all talking about the Mustang and how Edgar was planning on buying one when he returned from Vietnam, but unfortunately life got in the way and he never did.  During the course of talking with them, Anthony asked if I wouldn’t mind doing a favor – take Edgar for a quick spin.  I found out they were heading back to Sonora so Edgar and I hopped in and took off down South Bryant – stopping at the Stripes on the way out of town.  Along the way, we saw a somewhat ragged-out ’05 ‘Vette making all sorts of ‘race me’ noises… I just waved at him.  I did punch it off the line at South Jackson, which put a big ol’ grin on Edgar’s face.  After pulling into the parking lot and exchanging a few more pleasantries, I took off and headed for the base.  That was pretty fun – Edgar was a cool old guy.

I’ve been having some rattles and squeaks that had me concerned – Since I welded the new front clip on, I’ve been afraid of the possibility of the car folding up like a Swiss Army knife hitting a major bump, and the rattles and squeaks have not exactly been confidence-building.  Granted, I added the sub-frame connectors, so I know it’s solid… it’s just one of those things, ya know?

So, that’s Task #1 – fix the squeaks and rattles.  
Hi 

I love it when people respect veterans. There is something special about those people - who accept bottom dollar pay and get injured, either mentally or physically, keeping us pointless peasants safe.

I have a saying " Getting in the uniform is above and beyond; what they do afterward is astonishing". Big kudos to you for putting a grin on the guy's face... I bet you made his day. 

On your rattle -- you forgot to check for used drinking vessels  :p  coffee cups, whisky shot glasses etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those were in the trunk, and have been properly disposed of and/or reutilized respectively, thank you very much.  ::beer::

So, that’s Task #1 – fix the squeaks and rattles.  First thing, I swapped out the front upper shock bushings (the bottoms of the two ‘upper bushing sandwiches’ were pretty well squished and not the best – passenger side nut was only finger tight).  Then did a walk-around above and underneath, and found a few things that had worked loose – the most significant was the export brace mount at the firewall (those triangular bits that go from the shock towers back)… it was loose.  As in, ‘almost lost the nuts on the bottom side of the bolts,’ loose.  Tightened them up, along with a few other things.

Then moved on to Task #2 – change all the lug nuts.  Yeah… apparently, I didn’t pay attention to the ones I ordered.  I’m on set #4 now.  The first set was some actual Cragar nuts, but 7/16”-20 pitch… which my studs are ½”-20 pitch.  Well – crap.  Gave those to Gonzo, since they fit his Camaro just fine, and ordered another set of Cragar ½”-20 pitch.  Those showed up… and I lost them in the garage somewhere (I thought I’d put them in the trunk so I’d have ‘em when I made a trip to the AHS sometime, but nope… apparently, not).  I know… smack me the next time you see me.  I finally gave up on trying to find them about a month ago and ordered some more from Summit Racing, ½”-20 pitch.  Discovered yesterday that they require a 15/16” socket, which the sidewall is too thick to clear the ‘barely enough room for even the lug nuts to fit’ space – besides, the current lug nuts use a 7/8” thin wall socket (same size as the locking nuts, too).  POO-DOO!!  I ordered the correct ½”-20 longer lug nuts requiring 7/8” socket when I got home.  Still shakin’ my damn head over that one.

Task #3 was to replace the stud that got stripped out [i’m guessing] by Discount Tire when they did a warranty repair on the left rear.  Unfortunately, that is one of the originals, and no matter what I did with the 6-lb sledge, there was zero effect on it wanting to come out.  I did manage to mushroom the sh!t out of it, though.  Yay!  So, Task #3 was a wash.  I’ll use my MAP Gas torch in the driveway once of these weekends after I get the new lug nuts and feel like working on those.  If that doesn’t work, then I’ll look into pulling the axle and putting it in a press.  Although, if I start pulling axles apart to that degree, I’m have to look into what I need to get the rear disc conversion installed (Jim gave me a set-up a few years ago, since he had a ‘small bearing’ set, which his Galaxie was a ‘large bearing’ set – I think I just need a new MC, proportioning valve, and the rotors & pads themselves).

Task #4 was to get the white letters cleaned.  My last ditch effort before reversing to black walls was to sand the letters.  I fired up my trusty hand-held orbital pad sander with 120-grit and had white raised white letters again in about 10 minutes.  Didn’t take much effort at all.  Should’ve done that 3 years ago.  Oh well – now I know… if it gets like that again, just lightly sand ‘em down.  No biggie.

Task #1 was apparently a big success, since I didn’t hear a single squeak or rattle on the way home.  Apparently, those sheet metal export braces are a bit more important to the structural integrity than I would’ve thought.  Keeping ‘em crossed that ‘that, is the end of that.’  At least if the squeaks or rattles come back, I’ll have a good place to start (those export braces).  I might look into a meatier unit to replace ‘em – kinda like the older model ‘K-member’ export braces.  I’ll try to hang onto them, since they are unique to the ’71-‘73s, but I’m not opposed to something that’s more function that form – could make all the difference for structural integrity, after all.
On cleaning white letters or white walls. They changed the formula couple years ago Westley's Bleche-Wite does wonders if you can find the old. I found an old 1/2 gallon jug at parts store and snagged it. Coke also makes a cleaner I have never tried. It also makes the black look new. I hate the look of shiny tires.

I don't mind the tire dressing on the tires (not so much the super-shiny, 'wet' looking tires anymore), but it's so dusty in West Texas that you can't leave the stuff on too long, otherwise it'll attract too much dust and go bad before you know it.  Then, you're cleaning toxic 'mud' off the tires.

Lately, "nice and clean" is just fine with me.

I know what you mean about the Bleche-White - that stuff 'used to be' awesome... not as much, anymore.  About the only thing I hadn't tried was using straight-up Coca-Cola on 'em.  I figured if the Acid Wheel Cleaner I used for removing hard water deposits from the glass on my old Honda Civic didn't touch it, then good ol' Coke probably wouldn't have made a difference.  I'm thinking I might've even tried Hydrogen Peroxide with no results... can't remember, though.

Fortunately, the sanding was quick and barely removed any material at all, so it's definitely an option for the future if all else fails.

Replaced grille, headlights and turn signal lenses. I had to tweak headlight box on passenger side but noticed a problem or two. The entire grille is shifted to the drivers side. Do I need to adjust headlight boxes on both side to shift it to passenger side? Also at the center support, the bottom mounting on either side of the mustang emblem is a good half inch from grille. I could not determine how this is supposed to be adjusted? Any help appreciated

I am installing a custom 3-point seat belt for the rear seat of my Mach 1 with fold down seat (I will write more about it once I am sucessful).

I found this plate with bolt in my hardware can where I have a lot of seat belt installation hardware among many others. It looks like part of the seat belt hardware but I am unsure since I can't remember. I want to make sure before I use it as floor anchor for the retractor behind the seat. Is this part of the seat belt hardware?

Back