What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am installing a custom 3-point seat belt for the rear seat of my Mach 1 with fold down seat (I will write more about it once I am sucessful).

I found this plate with bolt in my hardware can where I have a lot of seat belt installation hardware among many others. It looks like part of the seat belt hardware but I am unsure since I can't remember. I want to make sure before I use it as floor anchor for the retractor behind the seat. Is this part of the seat belt hardware?

That looks like the anchor plate that comes with 3 point seat belt kit

It is meant to go through the B pillar and just stick out a bit

If you use it as a floor plate... it may not have the holding power needed in an accident

Replaced grille, headlights and turn signal lenses. I had to tweak headlight box on passenger side but noticed a problem or two. The entire grille is shifted to the drivers side. Do I need to adjust headlight boxes on both side to shift it to passenger side? Also at the center support, the bottom mounting on either side of the mustang emblem is a good half inch  from grille. I could not determine how this is supposed to be adjusted? Any help appreciated

Yes you need to adjust both headlight buckets to center everything

It sounds like you may have a 73 grille support brace in the center

That looks like the anchor plate that comes with 3 point seat belt kit

It is meant to go through the B pillar and just stick out a bit

If you use it as a floor plate... it may not have the holding power needed in an accident
Okay. That's good to know. So this was probably the bracket designed for the shoulder anchor. It looked suspiciously weak for being a floor plate so thanks for confirming. I will go with Plan A and use a bolt and a plate as washer for the floor.

Yesterday I took the Mach 1 to a benefit show for one of the guys from the local Corvette club – his daughter has some pretty serious medical appointments in DFW, and money was raised to help offset the costs for transportation and lodging. It was an awesome turn out with 91 cars and raised over $2500 for the Vasquez family.

49601265938_79a627a95d_o.jpg

Finally got the white letters cleaned up - 10 minutes with an orbital pad sander an 120-grit.

49601265883_dd9d391606_o.jpg

49601766111_7649e24f20_o.jpg

Stephen Horton took a bunch of awesome pics. Here’s a link to his Photo Album.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenhorton/albums/72157713308978333?fbclid=IwAR2ICfArk4hvmN1fvg1ynEpuqjqvNMpICw1mMTCdThUtGL1aoTSevVrZXTI

Replaced inner/outer tie rods, tightened up the steering a bit.  Removed the old exhaust manifolds and pipes, and installed new Hedman headers (HED-88300) from Summit.  Driving a 72 base with 302.  These headers ended up being an almost perfect plug n play fit.  No mods needed.  One of the tubes on the left side is right up against a tranny bolt, but aside from that, cleared everything no problem.  Hoping to finish the exhaust work next weekend.

Replaced rear bumper and wheels on Sunday

Before wheels (anyone want them? Going to post on cl soon)

After

Keeping busy working on the doors. As I am wrapping up the driver's side work, last night I aligned it. It was not possible to get all the gaps perfect. If I would get the door aligned along the rocker it will be off along the rear quarter and so forth. I ended up with a close alignment along the quarter, and a little off along the rocker (the Shop Manual seems to allow 60 thou) The door now shuts effortless.

Finally figured out how the stupid clutch helper spring comes out on my 73 mach 1 and did the gymnastics to actually do it. I am more excited than I should be because I have tried 3 or 4 times over the last few months and gave up, since I couldn't position myself in way that I could see anything. I need a lift....

Just waiting on heavier coilover springs tomorrow and hopefully it will be driving better than ever. 

nBYYE9Ml.jpg

So I replaced ALL my steering gear ... so ....

..."Allah be praised... my speed is only rivaled by the lightening bolts from the heavens "

".. the Cannonball will fall to the forces of Islaaam ! ! !"

I finally finished painting my original battery tray after soaking it in rust remover for 3 days, I'm surprised that stuff actually works. I'm thinking of doing the inner fenders next because they have light rust specs forming, and then ill spray them with the factory style overspray

Applied two coats of rust bullet on the interior of the passenger door. I have already done the driver's side. After the rust bullet I will apply the no-brand mat insulation and boom mat spray. Then the weatherstrips, passenger quarter roll down mod, door hinges, and panel alignment. Then I can drive it in this virus infested world. Edit: I will make sure I burn a lot of the tire surface before I park in the garage so all the infection stays outside!

Last edited by a moderator:

Started the 429 vert for the first time (after a 4 1/2 month slumber) this year and moved it to the next door neighbour’s driveway. She started right up, well, when the fuel pump got gas to the carb... I always pour a little in the carb to help expedite the starting process... I had to move her so that I could remove the scissor hoist underneath the car as I am in the process of moving to the new house. Hope to get the car to it’s first show this year...

replaced rear shocks and got air system working 

Looks good, but now it is time to get rid of that surface rust! :whistling:
Hey ...that's highly valued ancient Idaho Falls surface rust  :p ... I can't get rid of that ! ! ! ! ...it's history    ::tease::
Oh well, then you should leave it alone. I removed most of my Long Island rust... :D

Back