What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harvested some bugs today with the radiator.  Drove the car about 120 miles over a 4,310’ pass.  Was fun but LOUD with no interior or glass
Without a windshield, I imagine you got a few bugs caught in between your teeth!

A beautiful fall day on the prairies. Took time to stretch the legs of the convertible. The leaves will be gone before we know it. _DSC0396 (600 x 400).jpg

_DSC0391 (600 x 400).jpg

_DSC0399 (600 x 400).jpg

Been busy..

Installed a new idiot light to tacho / idiot light conversion from RCC Innovations. Works perfectly.

20211002_162804 (Large).jpg

Then installed a new front spoiler.

20211002_161320 (Large).jpg

20211002_161730 (Large).jpg

Very happy with the new look.

I did some Autocross today. Today was the last race of this year. This is my second year and it was a huge improvement. When I started last year I was at the bottom 5% of the group. The group is of about 100 cars. I started this year at the bottom 25% after the new suspension. Today I was in the top 33%. This is the second race in a row that I beat all the other Mustangs. There are about 5-6 Mustangs from 2000+ and I am running better than them. The Maier suspension with the Michelin PS4 tires are amazing! It is very cool to have a car that can handle all those Gs.

I decided to repaint my front bumper to get rid of 45 years of stone chips and blemishes, and a really bad paint chip repair I did back in '79 or '80 with a mismatched bottle of touch up paint and a brush.

20211012_160710.jpg

I removed the bumper and cleaned things up.

20211012_104357.jpg

I took down to a local body shop where they let me do the repairs myself.  I shot the primer today and hope to lay down color tomorrow.  This is my first time painting using something other than a rattle can.  I figure if I can get the bumper right I can go on to bigger things.

20211013_153006.jpg

I hoping to get enough confidence to do the hood Mach 1 blackout paint myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Painting is very rewarding when things go well. When the paint demons appear, not so much. You just go at it again. What color is your car? Chuck

So today I finished up the paint on my front bumper.  Here it is in the paint booth after sanding down the primer, final wipe with wax remover and tack cloth.  I also vacuumed the paint booth and sprayed down some dust treatment on the floor.

20211014_133339.jpg

A sealer coat was applied next.  It helped to gain a little confidence with the paint gun before applying actual paint.

20211014_133815.jpg

One more tack and it was time to lay down paint.  Four coats:

20211014_140649.jpg

And then finally four coats of high durability clear:

20211014_151308.jpg

The finished product looks pretty good for my first attempt with a paint gun.  It will be baked overnight.  

Frankly the whole process was not as difficult as I had imagined.  Using a paint gun was much easier than a rattle can!  Paint work has always been black magic to me.  It was actually pretty fun to give it a go.

I'm a little worried the bumper is going to look too nice up against the 45 year old paint on the rest of the car...ha!

I have decided I am going to tackle painting the Mach 1 hood blackout myself next week.  I need to get a buddy over to help me lift off the hood this weekend as I am going to paint it off the car.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Back