What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installed the rear sway bar. I find it amazing that the car went through 50 years of ownership without one. The difference is night and day. Best money spent so far. Took about 2 hours because I went real slow and there are very few videos. The one tip I can give (took me a while to figure it out) is that when fishing the bar through the dual exhaust, make sure that the axle is fully extended so the bar can rotate once it makes it through both sides of the exhaust pipes. Then raise the axle up to level to attach the mounting points. Pretty straight forward.
If you haven't already done so, upgrade your front bar also. The improvement of the ADDCO bars over stock is one of the more worthwhile upgrades on these cars.

@Sheriff41 the one in the car currently is 11/16”. There are several sizes and I read somewhere that the front and rear should be matched. The one I installed in the rear is 3/4” so I’m thinking maybe the front one upgrade to 1”. Thoughts?
I think that's the one ADDCO would recommend and I think you'll like it. With mismatched bars you run the risk of a suspension with a tendency to understeer or oversteer. Going with the 1" front will give you added confidence in your Mustang's handling.

Installed the rear sway bar. I find it amazing that the car went through 50 years of ownership without one. The difference is night and day. Best money spent so far. Took about 2 hours because I went real slow and there are very few videos. The one tip I can give (took me a while to figure it out) is that when fishing the bar through the dual exhaust, make sure that the axle is fully extended so the bar can rotate once it makes it through both sides of the exhaust pipes. Then raise the axle up to level to attach the mounting points. Pretty straight forward.
While it may have been optional on other mustangs, it was part of the competition suspension package on Mach 1's and Boss. However it was only a 1/2" diam, so pretty useless, The front was 3/4" I think, I would have to go measure my old one to be sure.
I installed ADDCO 1 1/8" up front and 7/8" revised 990 bar in the rear. Of course, the Mach's had the sway bar mounts along with the shock mounts, so I assume you had to clamp the mounts to the springs.
And yes, they ALL should have had them imo.

Today I started on the springs. Decided to do the right side today and the left tomorrow. But when I took out the original spring the upper isolator came apart in my hands. And the lower seat bushing was all dry and cracked. So I ordered both. Tomorrow I will remove the left side spring and Thursday hopefully I can put it all back together. Removing the spring was pretty easy but I took it to the extreme with caution and did it slowly to make sure it was safe. Will post the final pics once completed. If you’ve read this far, I just want to thank everyone here for being so welcoming and for the help provided and information posted on the forum. I have been on different forums since the 90’s and this group of members is top notch. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0557.jpeg
    IMG_0557.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0558.jpeg
    IMG_0558.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Congratulations! How was the drive? Have you stopped smiling yet? 3M makes a clear material for protecting car finishes from rock chips.
Many auto detailing companies are now installing what is known as PPF or Paint Protection Film. This is not the same as the clear vinyl wrap that 3M is selling, it is much stronger, and also much more expensive. Here is a video explaining it, he also has a video explaining the cost.

Done with the springs. What a royal pain in the ass. The new lower perch bushing is pretty tight and makes the install of the new (shorter) KYB shocks real hard. And the spring compressors, don’t even get me started on those. But now all is in place and I got the 1” lowering I was looking for. Will post more pics soon. Before and after measurements below. I’m pretty sure the springs will settle a bit more. Next week will get the upgraded front sway bar in (from 11/16” to 1”) and then an alignment done. My back is killing me!!

Attachments

• IMG_0557.jpeg
    IMG_0557.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0567.jpeg
    IMG_0567.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Today I tackled replacing a stripped wheel stud, but the nut on the hub is 1-1/8” and I did not have that size socket, so I ordered one. Will get that done next week. So I went at the shifter console which was in real sad shape. I tried taking as much of the foil material off as I could and then sprayed some flex primer, followed by SEM Landau Black paint. I ran over to Hobby Lobby to buy the Molotow chrome pen and did the trim. I am pleased with the result, and even though is not 100% perfect, it is way better than it was. Again, thanks to the info on this forum. Before and after pics below.

Attachments

• IMG_0447.jpeg
    IMG_0447.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0568.jpeg
    IMG_0568.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
Today I tackled replacing a stripped wheel stud, but the nut on the hub is 1-1/8” and I did not have that size socket, so I ordered one. Will get that done next week. So I went at the shifter console which was in real sad shape. I tried taking as much of the foil material off as I could and then sprayed some flex primer, followed by SEM Landau Black paint. I ran over to Hobby Lobby to buy the Molotow chrome pen and did the trim. I am pleased with the result, and even though is not 100% perfect, it is way better than it was. Again, thanks to the info on this forum. Before and after pics below.
Nice job.

What brand and size did you use?

So I went at the shifter console which was in real sad shape. I tried taking as much of the foil material off as I could and then sprayed some flex primer, followed by SEM Landau Black paint. I ran over to Hobby Lobby to buy the Molotow chrome pen and did the trim. I am pleased with the result, and even though is not 100% perfect, it is way better than it was. Again, thanks to the info on this forum. Before and after pics below.
I'll add to this post re Molotow Chrome pens. I have a console I'd like to sell, but it needs the chrome strips redone as well. On Amazon, I couldn't get one right away, would have to wait for the slow boat from wherever meaning middle of next month........ maybe. However, there is another brand offered on Prime that I can get tomorrow. It's called ZOET and reading the ratings, it is comparable to Molotow and one said he thought it was even better at lower cost. I ordered a set of 3 pens, 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, but all with rounded tips for $16.95 Cdn. Rather than wait if I don't have too, I'll try them and see if they are worth a 4.5 star rating. If they do the trick, all well and good. I'll let everybody know.

Same here, I’m anxious to try out the silver chrome pens on my console and center stack restoration project. I figure not much too lose if they don’t work out.
I should get mine today. I'll try it out and let you all (y'all) know what I think. I'm NOT expecting perfection, but............

Same here, I’m anxious to try out the silver chrome pens on my console and center stack restoration project. I figure not much too lose if they don’t work out.

I should get mine today. I'll try it out and let you all (y'all) know what I think. I'm NOT expecting perfection, but............

Chris and Geoff, make sure you go real slow to get a thick coat on each pass, and try not to go backwards. With the 4mm pen I had to go over twice, one on each side of the top part of raised trim as the tip is not thick enough to get full coverage. Getting a thick coat will prevent the black paint from showing through thinner chrome tint. Ask me how I know.....

Hey that's funny that this is today's topic. I just have ordered conductive paint not 15 mins ago! It's been ages that I want to try plating on plastic. Like everyone, got quite a few parts that could use a good bling bling. Not sure how that will go, but will surely post my findings!

Back