What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drove her into work today for a little show and tell:D You know I kinda miss this thread.................................................NOT

Come on Roy, get with the program.................................

:worthlesswithoutpics:
Yes, Roy, I mean now come on - what's up with this?

Would love to but not allowed to take pics onsite sorry

Here is my cowl so far

The guys at work blasted the top hat area.

Sanded out the the surface rust on the rest of the lower cowl.

0123333.JPG

012333.JPG

Used Armerlock 400 on the inside of the cowl

01233.JPG

0123.JPG

The cowl was a lot more work than i thought it would be.

I have cowl pictures, too. Although, I'm a little ashamed of mine after seeing Marc's done 'the right way.' If I wasn't under the gun to get the cowl and trunk areas done so quickly (before the shop closes as I suspect it will soon), I would've pulled the cowl completely apart like he did.

Today I got the patches welded in, ground down the welds, seam-sealed the air hats, and applied the Rust Bullet Black Shell.

399570_350215678322690_100000027814872_1343970_617453024_n.jpg

Just gotta fold down the cowl and weld it all back in-place tomorrow (with more seam sealer and Rust Bullet application), then hopefully I can move on to the trunk starting next weekend.

Lost a little time welding in some patches around the rear window of my pal Jim's '63.5 Galaxie 500 XL, but I was letting the Xylol dry before the Rust Bullet went on anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Everyone. I ordered parts for my car on Friday. I ordered a set of Sub frame connecters, polyurethane bushing for front upper and lower control arms and a set of the Billet hood hinges. My car is mostly restored but there is always more you want to do.:)

We have been looking for new chrome trims (without result) and tapped all the wires together.

Great job on the cowls, M, and Eric! I feel for ya! Glad thats out of the way right?

Here's to dry floor pans!::beer::

Hello Everyone. I ordered parts for my car on Friday. I ordered a set of Sub frame connecters, polyurethane bushing for front upper and lower control arms and a set of the Billet hood hinges. My car is mostly restored but there is always more you want to do.:)
Good luck with the polyurethane bushings:s Lots of folks on here have had several issues with them. Did you get the Polished Billet hinges?

Ok folks the oil leak I thought I had was actually a seal leak on the tranny. Thats was fixed and the new Detroit locker was installed, uncles limited slip is going back in in the morning

2012-01-22_14-24-33_92.jpg

2012-01-22_14-24-50_556.jpg

2012-01-22_14-23-52_294.jpg

2012-01-22_14-24-08_429.jpg

2012-01-22_14-24-16_520.jpg

OK - got the cowl cover folded back down and welded in-place. The lost almost 2 hours to the 'blaster cleaning up the 'ends' (pieces of the cowl I had to weld on to replace the damage) and the cowl/apron tie-ins (the gun is on its last leg... I repaired a hole in the side with a pop rivet last weekend). I brushed on some seam sealer and treated the insides of the 'ends' to some Rust Bullet, then zapped 'em down.

I also forgot to take my trusty ol' HP camera into the shop, so I took today's pic with my 'ancient' 2-yr-old Sanyo flip phone. Pretty sad, but the picture quality is not really that bad... except the HP pics are WAY bigger before I process them.

400203_350978671579724_100000027814872_1346758_994482542_n.jpg

Just gotta grind the welds, clean up the topside a little more, weld in the cowl/apron tie-ins, the more Rust Bullet Black Shell, and call this sucker done! (Next Saturday, first thing... then on to the trunk)

I'm also feelin' pretty good about the whole front clip swap. The 'ends' came off the donor car, along with the cowl/apron tie-ins and the front clip (you can pretty much figure out how the 'yard dawgs cut the front clip off for me by my welds). After I got the 'ends' of the cowl welded back on, I test-fitted the cowl/apron tie-ins and all of the holes from drilling out the spot welds line right back up!! I guess that means I got it right! I'm SO stoked!!

Thanks again Scott, for your advice and chassis drawings.

Good job Marc and Eric. I to got some work done on my cowl today. It's the first time in 2 month that I touched the Mach. :mad: I'm so happy I got something done today. Here some pic what I did today.

Pics of cowl patches.Need to finish grinding welds. Next will be gluing in the heater baffle from the under side of cowl.

mach 1 resto 006.jpg

cowl patch 001.jpg

cowl patch 002.jpg

cowl patch 003.jpg

cowl patch 004.jpg

cowl patch 005.jpg

Good job Marc and Eric. I to got some work done on my cowl today. It's the first time in 2 month that I touched the Mach. :mad: I'm so happy I got something done today. Here some pic what I did today.

Pics of cowl patches.Need to finish grinding welds. Next will be gluing in the heater baffle from the under side of cowl.
Outstanding work, my friend! I'm envious of your skills - your welds and that patch fabrication are nothing less than works of art.

I also have the same [exact] damage on the passenger side A-pillar to repair as well.

Thanks Eric. The cowl patch I cut out of the 73 coupe that I sold to Marc. That patch would have been to hard to make with all the bends in it. The repairs Marc is doing is what I cut out off the car.

Yes, i got the cowl tacked back on looks good will put some picks up when i finish.

The cowl looks good Mike

Eric yours looks good as well

I presently have a great appreciation for how much work the cowl is.

How ever I took the long cut approach taking the top off, but i have two coats of epoxy on the inside and seam sealer all around.

Finished welding up the passenger side rear torque box patch last night.

100_3191.JPG

Thanks again Scott, for your advice and chassis drawings.
Looks great Eric..Keep up the good work..Glad to help..& glad you took my advice !

Latest posts

Back