What did you do today instead of working on your Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In between working on the Mustang, took the Dog for a walk in the field across the road from my home. 

Here's the View from the top corner of the field. 

North east surrey England.

49787645211_d4dce543d9_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been spending time adding colour to old black & white photo's of my hometown, Bendigo (Victoria, Australia) to add to our local Facebook history page.

Bendigo was founded out of the gold rush of 1851 and the Bendigo fields have produce over 700,000kg (154300 lbs) of gold between 1851-1954 which would be worth about $30 billion AUD in today's prices. More than 5,000 registered gold mines were formed within an area of 4km x 16km. At least 140 shafts exceeded 300 metres in depth, 67 exceeded 600 metres and 11 were over 1,000 metres (3280 feet) deep and represents the largest concentration of deep shafts anywhere in the world. The largest gold nugget, the Welcome Stranger, was found 60 kilometers from Bendigo in a town called Dunolly.

Looking at the Bendigo photographic record I am seeing parallels to the imagery of America's wild west. Here are some of the Bendigo images that I've added colour to and these are the streets that my Mustang now prowls around on all the time (or at least it did back in the good ol' pre-plague days when we were allowed to drive for enjoyment!)

Year 1857

1870's, same location as the photo above

1870's

1870's

1870's

1870's

1870's

1870's

between 1870 to 1890 (photo taken from the poppet head of the next photo down)

This gold mine was in the main street in the middle of town until just after the WW1, when they replaced it with a war memorial building. The shaft is still there, capped and directly underneath the newer building.

1930's. The soldiers memorial spoken of above is the first building on the left.

A couple of old timer (Bendigonians) hanging around in front of the War Memorial in 1940

Bendigo's main street (Pall Mall) in the 1930's

1920's or 1930's

Come on you can't leave it like that, we need a Pic of what it looks like now to compare :)

Loving the colour tinting.

In the 5th picture down (1870s) Is that your MUSTANG parked up? :D

Come on you can't leave it like that, we need a Pic of what it looks like now to compare :)

Loving the colour tinting.

In the 5th  picture down (1870s) Is that your MUSTANG parked up? :D
Ok, with some help from google streetview I am able to put up now and then comparison pics!

Year 1857

1870's, same location as the photo above

The above two photo's now:

1870's

The above photo now:

1870's

The above photo now:

1870's

The above photo now:

1870's

The above photo now:

1870's

The above photo now:

1870's

The above photo now:

between 1870 to 1890 (photo taken from the poppet head of the next photo down)

The above photo now:

This gold mine was in the main street in the middle of town until just after the WW1, when they replaced it with a war memorial building. The shaft is still there, capped and directly underneath the newer building.

The above photo now:

1930's. The soldiers memorial spoken of above is the first building on the left.

The above photo now:

A couple of old timer (Bendigonians) hanging around in front of the War Memorial in 1940

The above photo now:

Bendigo's main street (Pall Mall) in the 1930's

The above photo now (we've still got our 125 year old tramway, now for tourists):

1920's or 1930's

The above photo now:

The above photo now:

The above view now:

The above photo now:

1930's

The above photo now:

In between working on the Mustang, took the Dog for a walk in the field across the road from my home. 

Here's the View from the top corner of the field. 

North east surrey England.

I have customers way uglier than that nice pooch. 

... one of the advantages of the present situation ... I don't have to see them face to face.  ;)

Why are there high fences around the young trees in the old photos?

Today I cut grass before it starts raining later today. Was plan on laying around after a tuff go around with reupholstering my driver seat yesterday but good habits are hard to break and ended up drifting out into the garage again. :D

Love the old pics. I live in the area of North Carolina that was the big producer of gold until the west and Alaska opened up. They mined, gold, silver lead and actually iron here. The gravel in my drive has enough iron it it a strong magnet will pic up stones. In Charlotte, N.C. there are hard rock mines under the current city of Charlotte from years ago. I believe the largest nugget they found there was 37 pounds not ounces. I believe in Australia it is over 60 pounds. 

I have been thinking about getting a metal detector and getting out some. The land just across the road from me was a gold mine until the mid 1800's. There are ditches and holes everywhere. Still two old miners cabins standing. I have tried panning some in the national forest but they say you cannot, lol. 

They say the vein of gold runs from here to Charlotte or about 100 miles. They have been doing some testing to see if it is worth opening up again. 

Gold is found around quartz in a lot of areas. We have a mountain here called shining rock. It use to be when you flew over it it looked like snow cap and it was just quartz. It is also in the national forest so off limits.

Fantastic set of photos and comparisons. Well done!!

I rebuilt a carb in a 48" walk-behind mower called a Bob-Cat. Well not really rebuild, just cleaned the best I could to keep the butterfly from sticking closed causing it to flood and not start. Old Kohler engine and I might be able to find a carb kit.

This is the weekend, and I'm at home cooking with my wife and son. Maybe tomorrow, I'll drive the Mustang to take the whole family to the movies

It was a nice day out here,and had most of the yard work done, so got both of the "big boy toys" out for a drive.

Man... I really like this car! Black,the wheels, perfect!
Thanks! I put a lot of thought into the overall look & stance, I appreciate the feedback.

More on the guitar build 

Now putting the neck pick up in after waiting for the last chrome shroud

Soldering electronics (soddering in americanese  :p

and getting the nut height right at top of neck - get this wrong and it wont set up over the neck. 

String height will be wrong etc. 

the neck geometry will get done last. all strings will then go on. 

plug in and annoy the neigbours  ::thumb::

copper lined the wire paths

:chin:

I sat down and ordered all the materials I need to do the final sand on the 72 Q code vert. 

3-M guide coat, various 3-M tapes, 3-M strip seam sealer to put on the seams around the door skin. Prep solvents and cleaners. I have all the different papers will start with 320 on first round. Might need one more coat of primer will see how it feels.

Sanding a car is a lot like polishing a plastic injection mold. Will make some pics got notice that the materials shipped. Here is link to the supplier I use. https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/category/clearance-scratch-dent

The local guys here are just stupid expensive. I usually order everything unless I need it now.

Got to get another set of brake calipers built and need two new front rotors. So far Advance has the best price. I have learned something on the Advance wed site. If you go shopping and pick out your parts and then if you leave in your cart they come back with an second offer. It has been 25% on last to shopping trips. If you have a business account with them you get as much as 60% off. You have to buy a certain volume to get that discount. 

Since I have been out of painting for so long just going to let my friend that does restorations spray the color on. He has all the good guns and a great air dryer system.

Why are there high fences around the young trees in the old photos?
I'm assuming the fences around the trees are there to either stop horse munching on the trees, or to stop horse carts from hitting the trees, or both.

Here's another one that I've just finished adding color to from 1875, and how it looks now:

My grandfather use to call the horses that chewed on the trees a Stump Eater. Love those old pics. We had a great photo gallery here, Barbers photo. They had the glass negatives, large format so they can be enlarged and not get distorted. I found an 8 1/2" X 11" wood studio camera at a Goodwill store here. They did not know what it was in perfect shape. Did not have the lens plate or the film holder. Bellows is perfect. It is over 100 years old.

Back