What did you do today instead of working on your Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20 years ago I took all the machining courses they offered at the junior college near me. The instructor was great, had nerves of steel and a lot of patience. I don’t remember anyone’s name except for Leon. Leon was the guy that provided live examples of what not to do in class. After he launched a chuck key the second time he was barred from using any tool besides a hacksaw or file. He managed to launch a 15+ pound casting for a bench vise out of a lathe from poor work holding.

The company I work for seems to love making things “safer”. They decided that visibility vests were required to wear around the yard. So- since there was no coat racks or handy storage everyone would wear theirs all the time like a highway worker. I walked in on a machinist wearing an unzipped loose visibility vest while running the lathe. I came unglued. He was complying with one low risk rule and putting himself at risk of entanglement...

Back on topic... Taking the wife to an optometrist appointment- then hopefully I get to work on the Mustang a bit.

Decided to go down to our fifth wheel camper and pull the batteries out and get them recharged and ready for camping. Also checked the tires and a few other things. Ohio is opening up their campgrounds on May 21. Have reservations for June 2nd for a week. Had to cancel our trip to Yellowstone. Right now we should have been visiting Mt Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monuments. Will have to settle for local state park.

Took my magnums off the Mach 1. Then went to my brothers and threw them on his Boss 302 so we could it for it's first ride in decades. Fun day driving around with open headers and 4'30 gears!

IMG_2545.JPG

IMG_2546.JPG

IMG_2548.JPG

As a relatively new homeowner I have had an endless stream of projects that I am constantly doing for the last year.

Today made some trim for the kitchen cabinets and did some minor repairs so some drawers would slide in and out better. Repaired an AC duct that was just barely hanging on and was about to fall. Went to Lowes, got some wooden poles for some hammocks I have to put up outside. Cut some ceramic tiles to put in the bottom of a terrarium that will have a Bearded Dragon in it in a few days.

Hopefully after the kids go to be tonight I'll get out to the garage and straighten up a bit so that next weekend I can finish up my floors in the car.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

The Mustangs Owner Museum had a photo scavenger hunt on the 17th. They sent out a list of things to find and take pictures of then send them in.  Each one found was worth 1 point, if it was a Mustang or Ford product it was worth 2. We had a great time doing it.  Some of the stuff was hard to find around here, especially the 74-78 and 79-93 Mustangs.

We are sitting at the drive in waiting for the movie to start. Feels great being out of the house doing something 

Thanks for the photo!  Your photo brings back so many memory's of child hood and all the way into today.

We still have three drive-ins here in CT. Two play current run movies, the other plays popular nostalgia movies as a means for civic groups to raise money. The closest one is about a 45 minute drive, but I try to get the family there at least once a summer.

Calibrated my oscilloscope 

So I can look at naughty waveforms doing naughty things 

Al
You don't deserve that.  You need to send it to me.  NOW!

Another range day today dialing in my 338-06 handloads for an upcoming mountain goat, moose and elk hunt in far north BC. This assuming the borders open, the outfitter gets into the camps, flights are sorted and my recent aching lower back all sort out...

What did I do today... and most of the week? I've been rebuilding our pool deck that prematurely rotted out due to a product called "Deck Over" I applied that is supposed to resurface tired looking deck boards. NEVER use this crap.  It will look good for a couple of years until moisture gets behind it and rots the wood. Class action law suits abound. That's all I'm saying on the subject other than the new deck looks waaayy better. Now we need warmer weather to heat up the pool.

I am worn out. I never want a new car. My son had his clutch going out in his 2018 GT Mustang. He had ordered a better clutch, aluminum flywheel, and new hydraulic throw out bearing. 

He had watched a bunch of videos on doing this but his car was different in some ways. 

We spent 12 hours changing out clutch. Every swivel an extension known to man was needed to get to the two top bolts. The engine would not tilt down enough to get any room the plastic oil pan would hit the cross member. Of course the flywheel had odd size torx #55 driver took hour to find at Lowe's a Craftsman. You had to remove the entire exhaust system all the way out the back. 

I truly hate how complicated the cars are today. Never built to ever work on. Ford only gives you a 12,000 mile clutch warranty.

He also changed from a body mounted shifter to a trans mounted shifter. So glad when we cranked it up everything worked. I got a transmission jack out of the deal. 

I did notice that they had mounted a harmonic vibration dampener to the chassis on the RH. side above the rear. Weird how you can make much smoother with a  weight added in the right place. 

Did get the 7 vert moved around so I can get into the work room after I recover from this. My neck is killing me.

Sent another rusty one to the scrap pile.
 Huh! wasn't here anything that could be salvaged, a nut or a bolt, something?
There were plenty of parts to salvage, that's what went to the scrap yard. There wasn't a lot left when I picked it up, but I cut then entire front clip off for another project. It did have a perfect condition trunk transition panel that I removed. 

Anyone interested in some sweet unilug White Nugget steel wheels... ??? LOL

Back