What did you do today instead of working on your Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After chasing down the missing parts, and chasing my tail on a few things, it’s finally done and ready to go back in.

IMG_20220320_160451785_HDR.jpg

That steering wheel nut (top) acted like it didn’t want to go on, but after chasing down alternatives for the past few weeks, I finally just threaded it on and used a set of Vise Grips to run it down. It resisted (like I was cross threading it) for a few turns, but then ran down smoothly. When I pulled it back off, there was no damage to the threads. That rusty dust on the locking plate must be the stuff that had built-up and fought me through it all. Glad THAT’S done.

IMG_20220320_175445123_HDR-rotated.jpg

Got the wheel on! I had to ‘customize’ the Grant adapter kit to make it all work, but then again that seems to be the norm (I just hope the horn’s not blaring when I connect up the power – LOL!). Also epoxied the shifter knob on and made a new indicator needle. The indicator housing was missing a small plastic bit that locks it into place, but apparently a 3/4″ sheet rock screws works just fine (and will never be seen, anyway).

IMG_20220320_175538679_HDR.jpg

I made an indicator needle out of a piece of 3Doodler stock. I drilled a hole through the stock needle piece where its needle extension had broken off, and stuffed the 3Doodler stock into it, then cut to length. Hopefully, it’ll last awhile. It’s translucent so it might even light up with the dash lights… we’ll see, I guess.

IMG_20220320_175606261_HDR-rotated.jpg

All done! Ready to go back in – Yay!

Next up: install and wire a Holley Mighty Mite electric 'lift' fuel pump and start working on the Lokar shifter & kick down cables, ATF cooling lines, service the transmission & T-Case, install the T-Case shifter along with the floor plate & boot, then I should almost be done underneath to get ready for the exhaust.

Wife has me repairing cracked brick walls and redecorating the Bedroom, I did property maintenance for a living and didn't enjoy it, when my financial advisor said I could take early retirement I jumped at it and closed the business, Now I get to do the same crap in my Home but the worst part is I no longer get paid for it! Thats not the retirement dream I thought I was going to have!:confused:

Took the GTV6 for a run now that we have dried out after floods. Over 1,000mm of rain over 2 weeks. I'm a bit concerned as I have now lived through three, one hundred year rain events here in SE Qld, 1974, 2011 and again this year. 😃

20210613_135222_001.jpg

I've got a project that hopefully ends with me getting a new shop with a couple bays and a lift.

To build the garage, I need the permit. To get the permit, I need to make zoning happy. Zoning wants me to get rid of my current shed before I can build a shop the size garage I want. I'm going to tow the old shed to my mom's house. I have to get rid of my mom's old dilapidated shed to make a spot for the new one.

So today was cutting up the old building with an angle grinder and a sawzall and tossing it and its contents in a trailer to go to the landfill. I'm making a trip to the landfill to dump the trailer in the mornings before work. I'll probably end up with 2 or 3 more trips to the landfill in order to get this old building cleared out.
Meanwhile I'm doing other things like making plans for the building and researching lifts. And at some point, I have to get my hands on a tractor with a box blade or something along those lines to start grading a flat spot.

While the mustang has been in paint jail I have been tinkering with something else.

Chevy Luv with a Toyota 18R-GU engine. Sat 30 years before I got my hands on it. That Toyota engine is a rare item stateside. 1970’s DOHC 2.0L with dual 40mm side draft carbs. The idea has merit, it is fun to drive.

Attachments

• 89DCF971-CDFD-4B94-B180-99A0692A9ED4.jpeg
    89DCF971-CDFD-4B94-B180-99A0692A9ED4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • A125FAB3-7643-496F-8E35-C7C19A7086D1.jpeg
    A125FAB3-7643-496F-8E35-C7C19A7086D1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • 5BFB6005-6DAD-478F-81F3-EA63D3AB8E72.jpeg
    5BFB6005-6DAD-478F-81F3-EA63D3AB8E72.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 8
  • EF23F83A-274B-4794-871A-97B39E1D51C5.jpeg
    EF23F83A-274B-4794-871A-97B39E1D51C5.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 6
I drove her like I stole her and added more old radial TA rubber chunks to my rear quarters while waiting on mayor pete to unscrew the supply chain so my new softer radial TA’s get here and mounted. Also have to give credit to brandon as I burned up another $40 in 93 go juice and have 2 more days to burn more and support our big bad oil companies! Stay safe and enjoy the 🇺🇸 awesome holiday weekend!

I did start up and drive the Mustang on Friday but I've been spending my wrenching time on my Jeep. After replacing the front shackles and bushings the front end made snapping and banging noises when I would turn the wheels. Turns out the U-bolts were loose. Either the shop that fitted some custom spring stops didn't torque them down enough or they got loose on their own. Here's a pic of my other money pit:

kbnQ6Of.jpg

Our local drive-in opened up for the season about 2 weeks ago. We decided to go to tonight to see the new Top Gun movie. I can say that for those of you that like the first one that you will not be disappointed in the new one. A lot of action and some awesome flying. I thought about taking the Mustang but I just can't get myself to drive it in a gravel lot.

It was drizzling most of the day. I stayed indoors, other than going out to lunch with Lynda. The rest of the day I stayed retired. Dabbled a bit on fAcebook, checked various Mustang forums looking for folks asking for help with diagnostic/repair processes on First Generation Mustangs, went through the mai, and watch some streamed movies. So, yeh, just stayed retired...

Christmas lights.....🎄🎅
Nice job! I am not allowed to put up Christmas lights since Christmas 2011 when the ladder fell out from under me right at the top of the highest peak of the house and I broke my ankle. Now my wife prefers I have a service come and do it. I really miss doing it but I really don't want to have to go through that again so..

Back