WHAT DISTIBUTOR AND COIL IS ON YOUR 351 C

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am running a DUI style distributor from Performance Distributors in TN. It was custom curved for my particular set up. Works fantastic. Only issues is size limits air cleaner options.

I have a 460 but the ignition components are interchangeable. Duraspark distributor, MSD 6A box and TFI coil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Cardone 'stock' replacement distributor, fed by an Accel Super Coil (30KVDC) and controlled by a Duraspark ignition box (blue grommet strain relief).  It's all wired together with a Duraspark conversion harness from NPD.

Like everything else on/about my car, It pretty much looks stock with lots of juice to back it up.  It fits with a factory Ram Air system with no issues, since it's... well... basically stock.  I can also go to pretty much any parts store for replacement items as necessary.

I have a 460 but the ignition components are interchangeable. Duraspark distributor, MSD 6A box and TFI coil.
Same setup on my last 351C and will be using it again on the next one. Recurved the D-spark dizzy, was a Cardone reman.

Recurved the D-spark dizzy, was a Cardone reman.
Yes the recurved part is an important point with a reman. The OOTB ignition curve is generally not suitable for a performance application. Also, the vacuum advance usually provides too much timing too soon and needs to be limited.

The distributor I use is a factory stock Cardone reman, but with the advance slot altered from a 15L to a 10L, thus limiting the crank degrees to 20. This is crucial imo to achieving the correct curve to run 14 -16 degs. initial. The total mechanical advance is therefore 34-36 degrees depending on what runs best on your engine. Mine is 16 initial, 36 total plus the vacuum advance is turn down to about 4-6 degrees on a single diaphragm canister which must be the adjustable type, small hex adjustment screw inside the tube. Springs are 1 stock heavy and 1 MrGasket ? ( sorry, I can't find the number right now, will update)

For sparks, I use the PerTronix Ignitor II with the matching Flamethrower coil, Autolite 24 plugs gapped at .040". Engine runs strong and smooth. Cam is a Melling MTF2, just slightly better than factory stock cam.

Geoff.

Running a D8AE-NA 460 interceptor dist (spare I had and same as used in my 429 Gran Torino). Curved on a real Sun machine by a tech who has been using the same machine since the 70's! (Was later gifted to him by owner when no longer needed in shop) Stock Ford Duraspark coil and blue grommet Motorcraft ignition module. Have NPD conversion harness on shelf, using wire harness manufactured by shop tec friend before NPD part was available. Very reliable system with great over the counter parts availability.

My 73 vert the PO had installed a MSD 6A and MSD coil. My 73 Q Mach 1 still has the Ford distributor but had the Ford centrifugal advance added when the car was new. Still has the original coil.

The issue I have with MSD is stock air cleaner will not fit and have to use a very small aftermarket or the air cleaner sits on the wires and arcs out.

I have a 1972 351 Cleveland 2V with 4V intake. My ignition system consists of a long ago rebuilt stock distributor, single diaphragm vacuum advance can w/ adjustable advance, standard Pertronix ,MSD 6A,MSD epoxy filled coil and MSD cap adapt (large cap Duraspark style).I made up my own set of wires with MSD 8.5 mm wire. I run NGK plugs gapped @ .45. My set up has worked well for years with no issues. My engine was originally equipped with a dual vacuum diaphragm distributor which of course I saved. I seem to save everything that comes off that car LOL.

I went with an Aussie product ICE Ignition 7 amp 1 step system which has programmable advance curves, rev limiter and vac advance

So far running at 20 deg initial and about 32 deg total but will be going on the dyno next week to get it spot on

Runs pretty sweet so far and happy with the product including service

I’ve gone with the Pertronix D134620 Flame-Thrower Black Cap Vacuum Advance Electronic Distributor with Ignitor Technology for Ford 351C and the PerTronix 40011 Flame-Thrower 40,000 Volt 1.5 ohm Coil. It took a little fiddling, but much easier install once I looked at the directions. Nice stock look distributor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

408C 4V CC heads. Rich Porter Technology distributor with Ford style trigger. Recurved, 18 initial, 38 total (best power verified at 38 on dyno). Pertronix coil, MSD digital 6AL amplifier. Rich Porter has since been bought by Spectra Premium. I don't know if the quality stayed the same. Chuck

Back