What happened to late 72-73 C6 transmission modulator?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72HCODE

"My World is Fire and Blood"
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1.
Anybody know what happened to the push in style c6 modulators from late 1972 on? apparently Scott drake and all mustang parts websites no longer list the push in c6 modulator they all have the early 67-early 72 threaded version, but the push-in version is gone scrubbed from existence...

I've been everywhere even ebay doesn't have them... what happened?

I had my 1973 C6 rebuild and the rebuilder installed a single vacuum port push-in modulator with a green stripe. Before the rebuild I had a dual vacuum port push-in type, I could not tell what color it was.

I have a spare dual vacuum port push-in type with a blue stripe. Should I be using this one?

https://ibb.co/mk4AVk[/URL]

Question: Where can I find information on what color strips mean? I have been told it has something to do with the pin size, but how do I tell if I have the correct one for my trans? Also, which of the two vacuum lines does not get used with he single port version?

Thanks,

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a chart in the Ford shop manual that shows the desired shift points. If your transmission doesn't shift in the correct speed range you then change the modulator to achieve the correct shift point. I believe the vacuum diaphragm size also changes based on the color code. The longer pin raises the shift point. Most replacement modulators are adjustable, which makes it easier and not as likely to have to buy a different modulator. From what I've been able to gather, the black is for heavy duty use, with high shift points. The green striped ones seem to be a good choice for cars.

ATP seems to be the supplier for most modulators.

http://atpautomotive.com/

You use the vacuum line that connects directly to the intake manifold for the single vacuum modulator. If you still have the emission controls (EGR) make sure the other line is removed and capped.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a chart in the Ford shop manual that shows the desired shift points. If your transmission doesn't shift in the correct speed range you then change the modulator to achieve the correct shift point. I believe the vacuum diaphragm size also changes based on the color code. The longer pin raises the shift point. Most replacement modulators are adjustable, which makes it easier and not as likely to have to buy a different modulator. From what I've been able to gather, the black is for heavy duty use, with high shift points. The green striped ones seem to be a good choice for cars.

ATP seems to be the supplier for most modulators.

http://atpautomotive.com/

You use the vacuum line that connects directly to the intake manifold for the single vacuum modulator. If you still have the emission controls (EGR) make sure the other line is removed and capped.
Just what I needed. Thanks Don

Back