What happens if alternator is replaced but regulator isn't?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351 4v CJ, C6, Mach 1 Decor options, power: steering, brakes and windows, a/c, Rally Pac gauges, Deluxe interior.
[url=https://ibb.co/ZVjjKXW][img]https://i.ibb.co/zrMMbxG/s-l1600-2.jpg[/img][/url]
Sorry, but I'm so out of practice; I should know this.  I've got a p/s pump to put back in, water pump to pull and replace, new shroud and new radiator to install so I'm definitely in that "while you're at it..." phase.

Has me thinking about upgrading the alternator as I can see future power requirements going up, led headlights in particular, but new audio, heated seats, etc all under consideration.  (Goal is "comfy weekend cruiser as original appearing as possible")

So as I'm working in the front of the engine, seems a good time to consider upgrading the alternator to 70 or 100 amps.  Do I also need to upgrade the voltage regulator?  You may wonder "why wouldn't you?" but so far, I've only been able to find the Motorcraft blue w yellow lettering style with electronic internals up to 61 amps.  I'm wondering what would happen if I just don't replace; the current voltage regulator should be rated for the stock 55 amp alternator, so...?

Btw, odo shows 31k so I expect that's really 100k more, 131k.

No issue, as the voltage regulator doesn't carry full loads, which is only from the alternator to the battery. I'd keep your existing VR and see if your system charges satisfactorily. If at that time, it doesn't, then replace it.

A lot of higher amperage alternators have internal regulators and do away with the regulator on the fender apron. A 100 amp alternator will require upgrading the main power fed.

A lot of higher amperage alternators have internal regulators and do away with the regulator on the fender apron. A 100 amp alternator will require upgrading the main power fed.
Thanks - that settles it.  70 amp.

well to add soup to the pudding... i added a chrome 100a alt to the stock reg and have zero issues.. i could not find a chrome alt with less the 100a. my only upgrade is radio.

Back