What I have been working on this winter.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Hey guys! Just wanted to fill you guys in on what I have been working on this winter. ABSOLUTELY nothing on the mustang!! :( But my old F150 was really in need of some attention. I didn't go wild with it or anything but did get it back into fighting shape. We usually use the truck to take the kids racing kart to the track and the ATV's to camp in the summer with the occasional Home Depot run. I have owned the truck for probably 6-7 years and have done nothing to it LOL!! Other than oil changes. So it was in need of some love. Mechanically, I replaced: ball joints, wheel bearings, brakes and rotors all the way around, exhaust manifolds, rear end cover, exhaust system from cats back, heater blower motor, tie rod, tires, and a few other odds and ends. Cosmetically, the bed was shot, rockers and cab corners were gone, inner rockers gone, and rad support needed some work. So I replaced all the busted up stuff and did all the work myself. So I ended up with a pretty decent truck again for around $2400 in parts and materials. Here are some pics of the work done on the bed and rockers. After it was painted I buffed the truck and it came out pretty nice for 14 year old truck here in PA salty winters!!! Sorry new tires weren't on yet in last pic!! But I think this is way better than having a car payment on a $40,000 truck. Plus I cant afford that anyhow LOL!!!! :D

I wanna thank Greg (austinvert) for helping me again with another painting project. He was nice enough to give me a call all the way from Australia with some helpful tips!!! Any how heres the pics of how I spent the winter for the last 2 months. God bless and enjoy!!

2mo3tkp.jpg

This is the bed on the truck I pulled from junkyard.

2vn27tg.jpg

Bottom of bed after patching the cross members and painting

20t5t75.jpg

patches

t23.JPGt21.JPGt18.JPGt15.JPGt2.JPGt14.JPGt13.JPGt12.JPGt11.JPGt9.JPGt8.JPGt7.JPGt5.JPGt6.JPGt10.JPGt3.JPG

Last Pic is only one I have of it still clean. As soon as I pulled it out of garage it was snowing and it got cover in slush and salt! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I had 2 97s loved them both! one was a 4.6 5speed heavy half and the other was a 5.4 auto both died close to 400,000 miles I now have an 08 love them there great trucks.

looks good by the way! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. This is one of my favorite trucks I've owned. I wasn't really sure about the flareside at first. My old bed was a fleetside. But this flareside is growing on me.

I just wish I had that size of shop to work in instead of outside in the driveway in a harbor freight portable garage where I can barely open one door at a time. The cold I can dress for, it's the rain that sucks... we all rust very easy here in Oregon including the cars

Pick-em-up looks great!

Wanna do a set of rockers on a '04 Focus? LOL

The rad already fell out on to the ground last year. Luckily Ford's better idea was to make it a bolt in lower support... Five minutes and 12 bucks later I was back in business!

Thanks guys!!

Dusty, The shop that I painted my bed in is mine. The big shop with the lift is my buddies place. We built it about 2 years ago and is 40x40. Its great in the winter. He has an outside woodburner that circulates water through the concrete floor. Its SO NICE in there!!! Feet are always nice and toasty and any snow from the cars hits the floor and is dry in minutes. When I build the addition on my garage im going to have this same setup but with a natural gas or electric boiler to heat water for the floor.

Pete, Bring the Focus on up. We can take care of it!! I have my buddies daughters cavalier to replace rockers and lower quarters on, then my other buddies Taurus to put rockers and quarters on. After that we are ready to go !!! LOL!

Back