what is a good upholstry?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eventhorizon

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code with factory ram air
Hi,
what is a good upholstry brand? NPD uses TMI but they have jacked their prices way up. interior standard upholstry set is $80 more than it was a few years ago.

CJ Pony parts sells TMI but also Distinctive Industries. Are they a good product? does anyone know of any other brands i could check out?

thanks for the help

Thomas Hanson

I need to buy the upholstery for my Mustang too, and here is the issue I have found: Most of the sellers out there do not stock anything or almost anything of the stock 71-73 Mustang upholstery. If anyone stocks anything it seems to be the TMI stuff. Unless you are looking for black, you usually cannot find anything besides black in stock anywhere, except at NPD. NPD seems to stock more TMI upholstery than anyone, BUT they are more expensive than anyone else. Obviously it costs money to put product in stock, and they have to charge more as they are putting the stuff on the shelf and tying up their money and warehouse space for the convenience of you being able to just buy it, and not have to wait a couple of months for it to be built and drop shipped from the manufacturer. I was looking at upholstery last week, and if it is not in stock, I have seen estimates of up to 14 weeks to get it.

The issue I faced was with the door panels. When they came in, the panel material was coming off the back of the panels and there were very few staples holding it on.
I ended up using 3M-90 adhesive and short staples to FIX the NEW door panels. Lest be said, I was NOT happy with the purchase.

Since covid, quite a few upholstery manufacturers went out of business.. I have a 76 Elite and there is a 14 to 16 week wait for what I need. That being said, the companies that went out also took the patterns with them, so TMI and the others don't produce any back up stock.. Things have changed and if I were younger, I'd open an upholstery factory.. LOL

I used these guys for door panels and seat covers and things looked and fit great! It was a few years ago so I cant say how prices compare now. They seemed cheaper than TMI when I was shopping.

https://mustangmarket.net/Mustang/1964-1973 Mustang/1972 Mustang/1972 Mustang Parts.htm
I checked them out just now, and they seem like they have very competitive pricing. How is the quality? I am going to replace the seat foams and covers, headliner, carpet and door panels. It says it has comfort weave inserts but I am sure they mean the comfort weave print solid vinyl, because I have read on this site that no one is making the real thing anymore. Do you have any pictures of your interior you don't mind posting? I would appreciate it, thanks

I checked them out just now, and they seem like they have very competitive pricing. How is the quality? I am going to replace the seat foams and covers, headliner, carpet and door panels. It says it has comfort weave inserts but I am sure they mean the comfort weave print solid vinyl, because I have read on this site that no one is making the real thing anymore. Do you have any pictures of your interior you don't mind posting? I would appreciate it, thanks

Actually, SMS Fabrics is making Comfortweave again -- I had to wait 12+ months but now have several yards in black just waiting to be used. I'm going to contact TMI about using real Comfortweave in standard vinyl seat covers (the vinyl for the sides/bolsters/etc is the same for deluxe and standard). I'm sure it won't be cheap.

If anyone has good leads on foam replacements for the rear seat (non fold-down), let me know.

When I redid my seats a couple years ago (pre pandemic) ....for my car (coupe) there was no foam made or available for the rear seat (Just the front seats). The appolsterer stuffed the rear seat with a packing material (not exactly sure what it was called ..but looked similar to cotton batting).

I was kinda surprised, that there was no foam available as I ordered new foam for the front seats.

good luck with your project and your search

Just used TMI for 65 bench seat coupe, Great Product.

Back