What is a survivor?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know of a specific description, but in general a survivor is a car that hasn't had any major repairs at all. Just maintenance. All original paint, bodywork, dirvetrain, interior - everything. That doesn't mean that all of the finishes have to be perfect - just original. The car can be maintained, so consumable parts will have been replaced (oils, bulbs, belts, friction pads, spark plugs, filters, battery, etc.). I would imagine some would include rubber bits in the consumables, like hoses, bushings may be pushing the limit.

I'm not aware of any hard definition for a "survivor" car. In general, its what @MikeGriese said. A car that hasn't been ragged out or had any permanent modifications done to it. All, or most of the original parts are there and in usable condition. The interior parts are not falling apart and breaking.

To me a survivor is a still original car in good enough shape that most people would think it had been restored at some point. I have seen some cars listed as "survivor" where the paint was about a 20ft job. It looked great until you got within 20ft.

I would add that in the case of the car I posted on Ebay and other such cars classified as "survivors", it's okay to detail the car and "work with what you got." I think the most important thing is the paint and body. Once the car has been repainted, I don't think it can be called "a survivor." The other discussion is around "restored" vs "unrestored." Sometimes I will describe a car as having a "cosmetic restoration" or a "mechanical restoration" depending on what has been done to the car. There is no way anyone could dispute my claim that my car on Ebay is a true survivor. It has the original top, original interior, original paint, never had any rust or rust repair, never had any body work, the motor has likely never been out of the car, and there is a ton of documentation to support those claims. https://www.ebay.com/itm/134217699778

I would agree with the comments made as well. I will ad that very conservative paint work to touch up some scratches or chips in "my opinion" would not diminish a survivor label. If you truly want to get to the bottom line of survivor you need to get the designation by a judging body be it MCA, ISCA, AACA or whatever governing body is running a show a "survivor" car is entered into.

The shop where I have my work done considers my car a survivor. It’s all original except for the bolt on mechanical parts that have been replaced. The car has been taken care of and still looks good when standing next to it. She has a few paint chips and a very small dent 2 inches long on the passenger door..I haven’t had the dent fixed because to do so a stripe would have to be replaced. I’m one of those guys that like my car original including the character marks, there only original once.

My 73 Convertible is a survivor. It has had the top and a few minor things replaced for function. Does have a couple of rust spots that I haven't touched, but even if they were repaired in the least invasive way it is still a survivor as it is still a small percentage. The car still looks like it could be the condition of one in the 70's. I might even consider a car a survivor if it is untouched with half or more of it being painted. You can be a survivor with a story. Honesty and accuracy of a car's survivor stage are what matters most. It is for sale, but only listed on this site so far.

My car is a "survivor" of a different sort. It survived me driving it through my high school years in the mid-1970s. It survived cruising the local drag, grudge night drag racing at the strip, SCCA gymkhanas, and rally events. It survived my many misguided performance and stereo mods. It survived me teaching my girlfriend (now wife of many years) how to drive. It survived being a daily driver/all-purpose transportation through the early 1980s. It survived being mostly stored for 25 years while I was in the USAF.

Now it is being coddled as I slowly refresh and repair the effects of use and time. It's a blast to take out on the weekends to cruise-ins and enjoying the Texas Hill Country back roads. It survives today as source of fond memories and a valued family possession.

Last edited:
My car is a "survivor" of a different sort. It survived me driving it through my high school years in the mid-1970s. It survived cruising the local drag, grudge night drag racing at the strip, SCCA gymkhanas, and rally events. It survived my many misguided performance and stereo mods. It survived me teaching my girlfriend (now wife of many years) how to drive. It survived being a daily driver/all-purpose transportation through the early 1980s. It survived being mostly stored for 25 years while I was in the USAF.

Now it is slowly being coddled as I refresh and repair the effects of use and time. It's a blast to take out on the weekends to cruise-ins and enjoying the Texas Hill Country back roads. It survives today as source of fond memories and a valued family possession.
That's a true survivor :)

Now it is slowly being coddled as I refresh and repair the effects of use and time. It's a blast to take out on the weekends to cruise-ins and enjoying the Texas Hill Country back roads. It survives today as source of fond memories and a valued family possession.
Nice Story. Have you posted a Marti report of your car? I'm a fan of 72 Q code verts.

We have what I regard as being a True Survivor 1973 Mustang Convertible. When we acquired the vert it had already been recovered from a barn where it had been stored for over 40 years. It was in near flawless condition, had its original paint, not one bit of rust anywhere, to includes its underside, had a powertrain that was original to the vehicle, and had not been modified/built internally or externally - pure stock. The prior owner did replace the original GR78x14 radial tires with a set of FR7014 radial tires, as the original tires' sidewalls were cracked and not safe to use. He also replaced the original Dog Dish hub caps and steel wheels with a set of Magnum 500 14" wheels. The original convertible white fabric top was replaced with a black fabric convertible top, And, he replaced the single exhaust system with a dual exhaust that included an H-Pipe in its design. But, nothing else was replaced or upgraded.

After we got the car I did replace the original idiot light laden instrument panel with a Dakota VHX analog gauge instrument panel. The taillight incandescent bulbs were replaced by a set of LED panels, I installed an APC full length console, replaced the mechanical cooling fan with a set of electric cooling fans, replaced the oem radiator with a Champion 3 row aluminum radiator with a matching shroud that hold the electric fans, upgraded the original alternator with a larger rotor, which boosted the 42 amps output to 65+ amps, and mounted a Garmin Drive 52 GPS with optional wireless backup and front facing cameras. But, the things I changed had minimal impact on the appearance or behavior of the Mustang, so I still regard it as being a survivor as it still has its original paint and interior upholstery. If pressed I might agree to call it a Survivor RestoMod simply because I have added some features to the Mustang.

There are two other changes I made to the vert. The first is that I added a front chin spoiler just to give it a little bit of badly needed visual "edge." Also, in one area just under the trunk lock cylinder the factory paint was a little thin, and a very tiny bit of rust began to intrude the area. I had the area treated, and had the only lower half of the entire width of the trunk's rear vertical surface repainted. To obscure where the old paint met the new paint on the rear vertical surface I installed a racing stripe on the rear of the car, which lays right on top of where the old and new paint edges meet. I included a few photos of that area also.

In the final analysis, I still personally regard the vert as a survivor, even with the few upgrades I made. But I repeat, for purists who feel I am being too loose in my view, I am fine calling it a Survivor RestoMod also.

Attachments

• 1973MustantConvertible_LoweerRearTrunkLidEdge_BelowLock_1_20191027.JPG
    1973MustantConvertible_LoweerRearTrunkLidEdge_BelowLock_1_20191027.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4285.JPG
    IMG_4285.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4287.JPG
    IMG_4287.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
There needs to be a wide definition to survivor, and it'll be debated like oil type and carburetor sizing. FWIW, I don't consider the ultra-low mileage cars that are owned by collectors to be a "survivor". They never made it into daily use and didn't have to survive anything beyond being dusted and waxed. I also don't think leaving the definition up to some club governing body is appropriate, as they'll tend to tailor the "rules" to their liking, and it'll come down to something ridiculous about how many square inches of paint were redone or something in that vein. One of the issues around paint is that certain colors were very susceptible to early failure on daily use vehicles. I've read that some of the blues Ford used just did not last, which would make getting a fresh coat of paint almost a maintenance item.

Like Kevin, my friend Pete recently sold a true survivor. It's a 39k mile 70 Boss 302 Drag Pack car that is 100% original paint. It had some "Day 2" mods like a 750DP Holley, auxiliary gauges and the Thermactor disconnected. He bought it from the original owner and it even still had the factory exhaust in place.

1667321428426.png

Like Kevin, my friend Pete recently sold a true survivor. It's a 39k mile 70 Boss 302 Drag Pack car that is 100% original paint. It had some "Day 2" mods like a 750DP Holley, auxiliary gauges and the Thermactor disconnected. He bought it from the original owner and it even still had the factory exhaust in place.

View attachment 69269
I agree, that's a survivor.

The definition, or the flexibility in which people use the term, survivor, does seem to be getting watered down a bit.

For me, I guess it's not the miles, but the least amount of modifications, including paint.

Some body work (done right) to cover a fender bender, wouldn't bother me and would still be considered a survivor in my eyes. However a complete paint job probably knocks it out of the category.

There needs to be a wide definition to survivor, and it'll be debated like oil type and carburetor sizing. FWIW, I don't consider the ultra-low mileage cars that are owned by collectors to be a "survivor". They never made it into daily use and didn't have to survive anything beyond being dusted and waxed. I also don't think leaving the definition up to some club governing body is appropriate, as they'll tend to tailor the "rules" to their liking, and it'll come down to something ridiculous about how many square inches of paint were redone or something in that vein. One of the issues around paint is that certain colors were very susceptible to early failure on daily use vehicles. I've read that some of the blues Ford used just did not last, which would make getting a fresh coat of paint almost a maintenance item.

View attachment 69269
"They never made it into daily use and didn't have to survive anything beyond being dusted and waxed." Excellent point, HemiKiller... And a perspective I never really considered before. I suppose our 73 vert, in consideration of what you suggested (and correctly so) is really more of a "preserved" vehicle as opposed to being a "survivor." That said, even then there will be chatter re: the "degree of" preservation. In our case, with the enhancements we made even being a preserved vehicle is a bit of a stretch. So, I guess I will have to alter my description to be something like, "a really cool 73 Mustang Convertible, in near original condition due to being barn stored and driven very little (under 20,000 original miles)" It is a mouthful, so maybe a shorter version will do, "a really bitchin' 73 Mustang Convertible in really excellent condition).

Okay, I have decided it is not worth trying to assign a minimal word description to our 73 vert. But, my mind will not let me stop. How about "Well preserved, lightly modified?" That would work for me... It still is not a single work description... If I had to boil it down to a singled word it would have to be, "bitchin'." heh heh

In my opinion (which admittedly isn't worth squat), a car that was not built the way Ford intended is not a survivor. New gauges -not a surviror - new paint - not a survivor - different exhaust, different headers, different carbs, different intake - not a survivor. If it doesn't match the build sheet - it's not a survivor. Maintenance is ok - any modification is not.

"They never made it into daily use and didn't have to survive anything beyond being dusted and waxed." Excellent point, HemiKiller... And a perspective I never really considered before. I suppose our 73 vert, in consideration of what you suggested (and correctly so) is really more of a "preserved" vehicle as opposed to being a "survivor." That said, even then there will be chatter re: the "degree of" preservation. In our case, with the enhancements we made even being a preserved vehicle is a bit of a stretch. So, I guess I will have to alter my description to be something like, "a really cool 73 Mustang Convertible, in near original condition due to being barn stored and driven very little (under 20,000 original miles)" It is a mouthful, so maybe a shorter version will do, "a really bitchin' 73 Mustang Convertible in really excellent condition).

Okay, I have decided it is not worth trying to assign a minimal word description to our 73 vert. But, my mind will not let me stop. How about "Well preserved, lightly modified?" That would work for me... It still is not a single work description... If I had to boil it down to a singled word it would have to be, "bitchin'." heh heh
HK & GM ~ Well said on both counts. And TBH, many many good points have been made in all responses in this thread. That wide-ranging, heart felt commitment to the meaning of this term is a great indication of what makes its so difficult to qualify...... a great topic for debate 73inNH.

I've heard the term used, by so many, from the hardcore seller, to the staunch purists, to the average Joe hobbyist, to the local "expert" at all the mom & pop car shows, to the people that are so thankful that it starts everyday because they depend on it for their primary transportation on a daily basis.

The definition of "survived" in itself can be problematic. The question of what did it survive is a great point of reference. But, again that can also lead to problems because we all have a completely different starting point (and ending point) for each one of the references above.

Just when I think I have a handle on it, I read Mike's post. Now I'm thinking and I realize I've missed the mark again. I'm back to where I started and I'm none the wiser.

HK & GM ~ Well said on both counts. And TBH, many many good points have been made in all responses in this thread. That wide-ranging, heart felt commitment to the meaning of this term is a great indication of what makes its so difficult to qualify...... a great topic for debate 73inNH.

I've heard the term used, by so many, from the hardcore seller, to the staunch purists, to the average Joe hobbyist, to the local "expert" at all the mom & pop car shows, to the people that are so thankful that it starts everyday because they depend on it for their primary transportation on a daily basis.

The definition of "survived" in itself can be problematic. The question of what did it survive is a great point of reference. But, again that can also lead to problems because we all have a completely different starting point (and ending point) for each one of the references above.

Just when I think I have a handle on it, I read Mike's post. Now I'm thinking and I realize I've missed the mark again. I'm back to where I started and I'm none the wiser.
Gawd, this kind of kind "near-bantering" when mulling things over, and posting our thoughts like we are, is part of what makes this such a terrific forum. I am certain many folks would at this kind of discussion and liken it to trying to determine how many angels can be put on the head of a pin, where nothing of consequence is ever determined. And, perhaps that is how it ought to be left. More darkly, I think on these words from the3 famed economist, John Maynard Keynes, "In the long run we are all dead." = so of what consequence is this?

Well, for me, this is a fun kind of matter to ponder alongside other Mustang/Shelby enthusiasts - especially those of us who can appreciate the Big Nose Mustangs of 71-73. What is hanging me up at the moment is HK's one question re: aa vehicle like our very low mileage 73 vert, "What did it survive?" Well, it did not survive being driven on the means streets of society, risking accidents, running through water, much less snow, ice, and the salt put on the roads to lower the melting point of said ice and snow. But, it did survive the general ravages of time, potential exposure to rodents, the impact on gasoline over years, even decades of slow evaporation and congealing of its base elements, sidewalls of tires cracking, and despite not being exposed to significant water (solid, gas, or liquid) while being barn stored, it did have some degree of exposure just through moisture in the air - which over a long periods of time can cause corrosion issues. And, there is the potential for loss of lubrication as the oil once sitting between journals and bearings, camshaft lobes and lifter wear surfaces, cylinder walls and piston rings, etc., can all be damaged in a negligent, unprimed (oil circuits) startup after many years of sitting unused. In its own way, as I see it, dealing with a vehicle left to slumber for decades presents its own areas of survival challenges. They are not same challenges that the vehicle would have faced were it driven. But, the impact of some of those areas can be significant. Perhaps in some cases not as significant as a car that was driven over many years. But, in other matters the threats to the vehicle.s survivability can be very significant (tire blowing out "at speed" due to weakened sidewalls, engine being damaged with a dry start/initial running despite oil being in the engine oil pan, failure of a cooling system hose while driving the car, thus overheating the engine, etc.

Okay, in re-re-re-pondering I have determined that there are indeed different kinds of challenges an older vehicle must face, whether being driven daily, driven only to/from local car shows, or kept in some kind of storage for many years or decades. I am not sure how I would categorize the different situations, but one way or another the vehicle has to survive the detrimental impact of time in order to be some kind of survivor. I guess I could say our 73 vert was a Barn Storage Survivor. That would work for me. Okay, I may be on a roll here. How about I proposes the following survivor categories, at least for a start:

Daily Driver Survivor
Routine Showing Survivor
Long Term Storage Survivor
Barn Stored Survivor
Inexperienced Teen Driver Survivor
Angry Spouse Survivor
Divorce Settlement Survivor

Okay, enough of that, for now. From this point forward I am going to try to remember to qualify the survivor status of our 73 vert by calling it a Barn Stored Survivor. If anyone else wants to dance on that pin head while counting angels with me, and comes up with a suggestion to add, or to modify, the initial proposed list above, I will take what is offered into thoughtful consideration.

Thank goodness I am well retired, and have time (still) for this kind of musing. Not that is is deep musing. But, it is musing in any event. I can't imagine being up late, losing sleep while reflecting on this kind of supposedly deep and important subject, then dragging myself into work over something many folks would regards as being trivial at best. Not me! Nope, and my reward is I now have a Barn Stored Survivor 1973 Mustang Convertible! heh heh...

It's an interesting topic,..... especially as to the value of a certain thing. I've had the good fortune to participate in the Pebble Beach Concours, out on the west coast. Almost every car in attendance is restored " to a gnat's ass", every nut and bolt re-done, Paintjobs like you've never seen, plating that's better than it ever was ,and I don't believe the field ever has more than a "token" survivor vehice allowed in attendance. Wordwide, the Pebble Beach concours in considered the best of the best, and car values ( $$$$$$$ )there are only attainable by the well-healed set. It would be interesting to see if any cars there are completely un-touched original.
Then, check out vintage guitars....the value here is in an axe that has never been restored, the more battle wear, sometimes the better. If you send your '57 Telecaster to Fender, they have a "Custom Shop", that will re-finish it just like it came, by the same guys who did it in the first place, BUT..............restore it and you lose it's lineage, so they say. Beat up survivors are worth cash. Completely different market.
WW2 aircraft are worth millions of dollars, but not so much if unrestored, too big of a chance of corrosion or cracking, or something unseen causing the aircraft to malfunction, causing death and property damage. Again the asking value is dependant on condition, rather than factory untouched components.
Survivors, Thoroughbreads, Showroom Floor low mileage Barn Finds.....where do you stand, where do you cross over from museum piece to an actual vehicle? I share the sentiment on absolute originality if the thing in question is but 1 or 2 in the whole world. Makes sense in that respect.
Someone once said, " If I had a beautiful, perfect car like that, I wouldn't touch it." Really? If you had the most beautiful and perfect woman in the world, you wouldn't want to touch her? If so, YOU are a better man than I !

Back