What is correct snubber arrangement 71 351-2v vert?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
1971 Mustang Convertible
1988 Bronco II
1970 Torino 4 door
I posted for a 9" mounted pinion snubber and now question what I am actually looking for. I located the original pumpkin I pulled around 25 yrs ago. It has no bracket mounted on the rear end. I am replacing it with a traction-loc. There is evidence of something being body mounted as can be seen in the upper LH side of pic (undercoat is absent where it was mounted and the two bolts are there). I likely have whatever part was body mounted as i think i would have been the person to remove it. I just need to locate it. Before I buy even more parts that I may not need I want to see what all you say. My 71 mach does have the rearend mounted snubber assy. 20220524_182716.jpg

I posted for a 9" mounted pinion snubber and now question what I am actually looking for. I located the original pumpkin I pulled around 25 yrs ago. It has no bracket mounted on the rear end. I am replacing it with a traction-loc. There is evidence of something being body mounted as can be seen in the upper LH side of pic (undercoat is absent where it was mounted and the two bolts are there). I likely have whatever part was body mounted as i think i would have been the person to remove it. I just need to locate it. Before I buy even more parts that I may not need I want to see what all you say. My 71 mach does have the rearend mounted snubber assy. View attachment 63816
Isn't that the muffler mount?

Tom

Isn't that the muffler mount?

Tom
You can see the original muffler attach. Car still had the original factory exhaust on it. The location i am referring to is in line with the driveshaft hump. The two bolts are loosely installed.

Interesting!
I put those shocks on around 1995 or 96. Been stored indoors the entire time. I cut up the original exhaust. That was stupid of me. Muffler had the fotd part number but it was completely rusted inside (Arizona mice were probably like wtf when they woke up in Missouri). I wish I had taken more pics but I do have quite a few to document before I tore it apart.

that is the pinion snubber plate in the location where you have the two loose bolts. I don't think anything actually mounted there. I think all the cars had the reinforcement plate, but not sure that all cars would have pinion snubber, might be limited to manual transmission and 4V cars. Are you shooting for a restoration or trying to address a traction/wheel hop issue?

that is the pinion snubber plate in the location where you have the two loose bolts. I don't think anything actually mounted there. I think all the cars had the reinforcement plate, but not sure that all cars would have pinion snubber, might be limited to manual transmission and 4V cars. Are you shooting for a restoration or trying to address a traction/wheel hop issue?
Not really a resto. I will have around 650 hp and torque that I know I will never be able to hook up BUT I also want something that provides reasonable protection against wheel hop etc. I am still letting it bounce around in my head what that really entails. It is highly unlikely I will ever take it to a track since I am more of a street guy.

Do you have a plate as well? I just install it there possibly.

Back