What is correct Speedometer cable for 1973 Mustang with 4 speed.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 FI
Hi All,
I am trying to buy a replacement for my 1973 mustang speedometer cable. West coast cougar said the ( 42005) C9ZZ-17260-B will work but Virginia classic says it won't and Kentucky mustang says people just return them. Some say its 76" some say its 80" Rock auto has 2 part numbers , ATP Y800 and PIONEER CA3012. My cable has some speedometer wiggle at 25mph and if I tie it to the frame it bouncens at 10 mph quite badly. I know its the issue but I am not sure what will work for new cable. The one I have is about 80" and the original was 84'.

Hi all,
I bought pioneer Ca3012 but its way too long 80". The Scott drake C9ZZ-17260-B will work if you have headers or in stock location. The NPD 17260-7A (67") works believe or not, by putting it across the top of transmission from passenger transmission cable attachment. This is my original cable and it works routed for my full length hooker headers. When lubricated with thin oil it bounces slightly at 25mph ( singer sewing machine oil, 3 and one oil or thin cable lube).. No sharp bends do not tie to car except top where it goes in. I checked speedometer head and it works very smooth with a drill and I oiled it with super thin oil on its bearings.

Hi All,
I am trying to buy a replacement for my 1973 mustang speedometer cable. West coast cougar said the ( 42005) C9ZZ-17260-B will work but Virginia classic says it won't and Kentucky mustang says people just return them. Some say its 76" some say its 80" Rock auto has 2 part numbers , ATP Y800 and PIONEER CA3012. My cable has some speedometer wiggle at 25mph and if I tie it to the frame it bouncens at 10 mph quite badly. I know its the issue but I am not sure what will work for new cable. The one I have is about 80" and the original was 84'.
Steve,
I have a 73 with a 4 speed trans that I am changing over to a T5z Tremec. I have a speedometer cable that works fine and I have to change over to the shorter C-6 type. I will give you mine if you don't mind a used one just for the shipping cost. I should have it out in a couple weeks.
Let me know
Thanks, Jay

Hi Cleveland Coupe,
I don't mind paying shipping costs at all. Please send me email address so I can send you information and paypal for shipping . I want to make the same change to my car one day to the T5z Tremec. It should be noted west coast cougar provide me with ( 42005) C9ZZ-17260-B which I did testing for them and everyone so there is an alternate and finally some answers..Be careful with the aftermarket cables as there is nothing better that the OEM. By the way the car I own came from North Jersey as I lived in central and southern Jersey till 19 years ago. The singer sewing oil is good stuff. I am finally trying to solve all those nagging items. At least the list is getting smaller.
Steve

Back